Balance Chemical Interest/Fascination traits.

Started by Alerter, September 20, 2018, 06:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alerter

Right now those are one of the worst traits in the entire game (probably right after pyromaniac). For me personally its not bad just because those people are constantly going on drug binges and ignore the policies (although it matters), but because those traits are simply threatening pawn's life. Tolerance is just going up so fast sometimes and you can't do anything about it. It leads us to addictions, organ damage (brain, especially) and death.

So here is what I suggest: if colonist has chemical interest/fascination trait, tolerance must go down much faster. They want drugs? Let them have it. But it shouldn't kill them while they do.

Swarx

this would kinda defeat the purpose of it, personally i'd try arresting those pawns when they go on binges, and making sure they're not allowed any drugs in their non-binge state either.

Alerter

Quote from: Swarx on September 20, 2018, 02:41:24 PM
this would kinda defeat the purpose of it, personally i'd try arresting those pawns when they go on binges, and making sure they're not allowed any drugs in their non-binge state either.

Yeah, that's the problem. You have to constantly control their binges and prevent any possible addictions, because those pawns will ignore doses/schedules and will eventually kill themselves. You just can't allow them to do drugs. It ruins the purpose of chemical interest/fascination traits and those pawns just become teetotalers (combined with mood penalty from being imprisoned from time to time).

Thane

Just use mild drugs. I personally really like having Psychite Tea on hand. Simple, cheap, increases productivity, reduces sleep need and increases mood substantially.

Worst my chemical guys have after 5 in game years of abusing the stuff is a damaged kidney a piece.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Thane on September 20, 2018, 06:13:29 PM
Just use mild drugs. I personally really like having Psychite Tea on hand. Simple, cheap, increases productivity, reduces sleep need and increases mood substantially.

Worst my chemical guys have after 5 in game years of abusing the stuff is a damaged kidney a piece.

If you have Psychite Tea AND Yayo will they always choose the tea? If so I'd feel a lot better about having them in the colony ("them" being either the chemical * people or the drugs, depending)
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Thane

Quote from: 5thHorseman on September 20, 2018, 06:52:06 PM
If you have Psychite Tea AND Yayo will they always choose the tea? If so I'd feel a lot better about having them in the colony ("them" being either the chemical * people or the drugs, depending)

No. They'll go for the hard stuff if you have it restrictions be damned. Basically if you want that chemical pawn you have to control the drug use for everyone else. Basically the community has to rally around supporting them, or they die. So it's either mild drugs or no drugs so I go with the mild ones.

They'll kill themselves on the hard ones in a season...
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

bobucles

A pawn can have half a dozen different types of cancer and still live longer than a chemical fascination pawn. Life on the Rim is odd at best.

Thane

Opiod overdose is one of the leading killers for youth in the USA. Many cancers spread on the order of years while one OD is enough to kill you.