Immaculate ovulation?

Started by scorlew, September 21, 2018, 04:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorlew

Twice in this winter quadrum I have found an (1) unfertilized chicken egg in my inventory.  I have breeding pairs of turkeys so I'm used to finding their fertilized eggs, but I have no chickens in my menagerie and see no chickens listed on the wildlife tab.

I'm not willing to claim this is a bug, but WTF?  Is my rhino laying eggs?  Do my turkeys identify as species-fluid?  Is a chicken from another map abandoning her children on my doorstep and slinking off back home?

Cassie/Medium
Mods:  Animals Logic, Allow Tool, Avoid Friendly Fire, Labels on Floor, While You're Up
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

zizard

ruined by temp -> animals logic converts to unfert

species fluidity is sorely needed though

scorlew

Quote from: zizard on September 21, 2018, 05:20:53 PM

The question is where did the egg come from in the first place?  I have no chickens on this map.
                           -WZ

YokoZar

Quote from: scorlew on September 21, 2018, 05:47:00 PM
Quote from: zizard on September 21, 2018, 05:20:53 PM

The question is where did the egg come from in the first place?  I have no chickens on this map.
It's a mod option for Animals logic to convert all ruined eggs into unfertilized chicken eggs (since they're all essentially the same "useless egg" type with identical nutrition, there's no point storing it as a ruined turkey egg).

5thHorseman

If it's actually merging them into one egg, it should just say "unfertilized egg" and not "Unfertilized chicken egg."

Maybe a raider was carrying it and you didn't notice it at the time. Though I've never seen raiders carrying raw food.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

scorlew

Thanks.  That makes sense that it is likely a turkey egg gone bad and oddly described.

We now return you to your regular programming.
                           -WZ

Serenity

Quote from: 5thHorseman on September 21, 2018, 07:10:34 PM
it should just say "unfertilized egg" and not "Unfertilized chicken egg."
But there is no generic egg type in the game so it uses one of the existing eggs instead of adding a new one

5thHorseman

Quote from: Serenity on September 22, 2018, 06:39:58 AM
Quote from: 5thHorseman on September 21, 2018, 07:10:34 PM
it should just say "unfertilized egg" and not "Unfertilized chicken egg."
But there is no generic egg type in the game so it uses one of the existing eggs instead of adding a new one

Sorry my usage of "should" was vague.

I did not mean "the way the game currently works it should do that." I meant "They should change the game so it does that."
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Dargaron

A bit late to the party, but I've noticed that if a caravan/visitors leave "suddenly" (due to environmental effects), they sometimes drop a food item from their inventory: my guess, the AI to decide whether or not to leave the map makes its decision at the same time the visitor AI decides whether or not it's hungry, so the pawns take out a meal (in preparation to eat it), then immediately leave them map and the food gets left on the ground.

Alternatively, did any caravans come by with chickens in tow? I've never had a chicken-for-sale actually produce an egg on-map, but that might explain it. Eggs last for a pretty long time, so maybe one of your haulers finally got around to grabbing it after the caravan had left?

scorlew

Quote from: Dargaron on September 22, 2018, 11:55:42 AM

Alternatively, did any caravans come by with chickens in tow? I've never had a chicken-for-sale actually produce an egg on-map, but that might explain it. Eggs last for a pretty long time, so maybe one of your haulers finally got around to grabbing it after the caravan had left?

Nope, but I do have four or five breeding pairs of turkeys (I don't want to repeat the chickopolypse.)  That was the explanation.  Once any egg spoils the generic description is "unfertilized chicken egg".
                           -WZ