[B19] RimWriter - Books, Scrolls, Tablets, and Libraries (9-25-2018)

Started by jecrell, September 24, 2018, 01:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jecrell

Add tablets, books, scrolls, libraries, and more to your RimWorld playthroughs.

RimWriter is a mod that adds a lot of content focused on writing to supplement the standard vanilla RimWorld playthrough such as:

Items
  * Stone Tablets
  * Leather Scrolls
  * Journals
  * Handwritten Books
  * Typed Books and Journals
  * Skillbooks for improving skills

-Furniture
  * Stone shelves for tablets
  * Scrollcases, tall and short
  * Bookcases, tall and short
  * Writer's tables
  * A typewriter

-Features
  * Libraries that colonists will go into, pick out books to read, read them for joy, and return them when they're done.
  * Customized text generation for tablets, books, and journals.
  * Compatiblity with Lord of the Rims and Call of Cthulhu mods.
    - Writing reduces sanity loss over time.
    - Future compatability with storing Grimoires and Wizard textbooks inside bookcases/scrollcases.

Why create this mod?
I wanted to make a framework sort of mod that I could add to or use later in my current and future projects. I feel that tablets, scrolls, and books all have a clear place in RimWorld and future mods.

Screenshots

Download
Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/posts/rimwriter-for-0-21613863
Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521844535
GitHub - https://github.com/jecrell/RimWriter

Q&A

Is this mod compatible with (additional joy objects / other mod name here)?
Yes. There is no incompatibility for RimWriter.

Is this mod safe to load into existing saves?
Yes.

Does this generate thoughts?
Yes. It creates a new room role: Library.
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Zakhad

Do some of these books concern the secrets of life and death? ^^

An awesome mod, I'm pretty sure a lot of modders will make great use of it.

mvargus

How does this work with the books and bookcases from the Additional Joy Objects Mod?

bigheadzach

An alternative to sculpting as the sole source of Art? I like it.

Would traders also have randomly-generated books that can be bought and added to the library?
And are books readable without the need for a container (i.e. they are picked up into inventory which then enables the Reading recreation?)

Madman666

Skillbooks? Quite interesting. Would be nice to have more info... pretty much about everything. Like how high must your skill be to write a book about Shooting? How much xp towards certain skill does books give? Does book quiality affect amount of skill xp given for reading it? Etc. Still subbed, cause it sounds cool.

UPD: Typewriting\writing is a Art type job, but it seems that people don't really get any Art experience while doing it though. Is that intended? Well they do get xp for combining typed\written pages into one book, but they don't get any by actually typing those pages first. It seems a bit weird that actual creative process of writing doesn't level art, while crafting pages into a book - does.

Also would be nice to be able to actually tell people to go read a certain book, since from what i can see they only do it themselves as a rec source, so if you have multiple sources of recreation chances that they come read it are kind of slim.

jecrell

RimWriter - Books, Scrolls, Tablets, and Libraries

RimWriter - Books, Scrolls, Tablets, and Libraries
Version: 1.19.0.3
Updated: 09-25-2018
Description: Added new simple option to right click books to force characters to read them. This is particularly useful for skill books. Skill books can be encountered on traders now as well.

Download now on...
Patreon
GitHub
Steam
Discuss the mod on...
Discord
Ludeon

jecrell

Quote from: Madman666 on September 24, 2018, 08:51:41 PM
Skillbooks? Quite interesting. Would be nice to have more info... pretty much about everything. Like how high must your skill be to write a book about Shooting? How much xp towards certain skill does books give? Does book quiality affect amount of skill xp given for reading it? Etc. Still subbed, cause it sounds cool.
I absolutely want to be able to allow for experienced characters to write their own skillbooks.

QuoteUPD: Typewriting\writing is a Art type job, but it seems that people don't really get any Art experience while doing it though. Is that intended? Well they do get xp for combining typed\written pages into one book, but they don't get any by actually typing those pages first. It seems a bit weird that actual creative process of writing doesn't level art, while crafting pages into a book - does.
Interesting... I'll have to look into that. Probably something is off with the recipe maker somewhere.

QuoteAlso would be nice to be able to actually tell people to go read a certain book, since from what i can see they only do it themselves as a rec source, so if you have multiple sources of recreation chances that they come read it are kind of slim.
You can now order it. I added the option just now. Thanks for your patience.

jecrell

Quote from: mvargus on September 24, 2018, 03:24:01 PM
How does this work with the books and bookcases from the Additional Joy Objects Mod?
Currently, I suspect they would both handle things their own way and work separately. You could potentially run both at the same time, as confusing as that sounds.

Try and tell me. I doubt they would have any conflicts.

jecrell

Quote from: bigheadzach on September 24, 2018, 03:29:49 PM
An alternative to sculpting as the sole source of Art? I like it.

Would traders also have randomly-generated books that can be bought and added to the library?
Yes! Randomly generated books-a-plenty. Also, skillbooks for improving skills.

QuoteAnd are books readable without the need for a container (i.e. they are picked up into inventory which then enables the Reading recreation?)
You do not need a container. You could just shove them on shelves or leave them on the ground. I do not currently have code in place for characters to "pocket" books for later reading, however.

Madman666

Quote from: jecrell on September 25, 2018, 03:45:54 AM
I absolutely want to be able to allow for experienced characters to write their own skillbooks.
Interesting... I'll have to look into that. Probably something is off with the recipe maker somewhere.
You can now order it. I added the option just now. Thanks for your patience.

Hey, thanks for the answers, @Jecrell! With the ability to make them read books we could finally train people, so they suck less! How nice. Will be waiting for the ability to write our own skillbooks :)

Ruisuki

bigheadzach

Skillbooks means more options for training/upkeep than the chess table / poker table, or the targets/martial arts dummies from Misc Training.

Probably would need tweaking per skill, and I imagine could be more creative than just calling it, for example, "Plants Book". I'm reminded of the clever way Fallout incorporates skill manuals into its lore. Find a way to dynamically create book titles that apply to each skill.

Jake

Quote from: bigheadzach on September 25, 2018, 03:59:19 PMSkillbooks means more options for training/upkeep than the chess table / poker table, or the targets/martial arts dummies from Misc Training.

Probably would need tweaking per skill, and I imagine could be more creative than just calling it, for example, "Plants Book". I'm reminded of the clever way Fallout incorporates skill manuals into its lore. Find a way to dynamically create book titles that apply to each skill.
The Dwarf Fortress method involves procedurally generating titles from two lists: Words relevant to the skill a dawrf can increase by reading the book, and phrases taken from the titles of self-help manuals. (But not "For Dummies", because those guys lawyer up at the slightest provocation.) When the aforementioned secrets of life and death are added to the mix the results tend to be entertainingly surreal.

jecrell

Quote from: Jake on September 26, 2018, 05:36:51 AM
Quote from: bigheadzach on September 25, 2018, 03:59:19 PMSkillbooks means more options for training/upkeep than the chess table / poker table, or the targets/martial arts dummies from Misc Training.

The Dwarf Fortress method involves procedurally generating titles from two lists: Words relevant to the skill a dawrf can increase by reading the book, and phrases taken from the titles of self-help manuals. (But not "For Dummies", because those guys lawyer up at the slightest provocation.) When the aforementioned secrets of life and death are added to the mix the results tend to be entertainingly surreal.

Want me to try that?

bigheadzach

Quote from: jecrell on September 26, 2018, 01:10:16 PM
Quote from: Jake on September 26, 2018, 05:36:51 AM

Want me to try that?

Yeah, that'd be cool! Would also love to help crowdsource some of the "help title" patterns along with subjects appropriate to each skill.

The Zen Of ____
Avoiding The Pitfalls Of ______
____ and You
10 Best Secrets to ______
All About ______
_____ for Dimwits
{WRITERNAME}'s Overviews: ______
______ Essentials
100 Ways To Improve ______
{WRITERNAME}'s _____ [Guide/Handbook/Encyclopedia/Treatise/Manifesto/Reference/Manual]
______ For Fun And Profit

[Advanced/Expert/Professional] as a leading adjective

Animals
- Feeding Techniques
- Animal Empathy
- Livestock Husbandry
- Caressing Muffalo
Artistic
- Artistic Muse
- Sculpture Technique
Construction
- Beams And Joists