[B19] RimWriter - Books, Scrolls, Tablets, and Libraries (9-25-2018)

Started by jecrell, September 24, 2018, 01:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruisuki

1. compatible with additional joy objects books?

2. will this count as a rec room for purposes of mood or will it be a new room role? IE: "has an impressive library"

jecrell

If you like RimWriter, be sure to check out the Industrial Age Objects and Furniture pack.

Industrial Age - Objects and Furniture

Industrial Age - Objects and Furniture
Download now on...
Patreon
GitHub
Steam
Discuss the mod on...
Discord
Ludeon
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

jecrell

Quote from: Ruisuki on September 26, 2018, 04:11:53 PM
1. compatible with additional joy objects books?

2. will this count as a rec room for purposes of mood or will it be a new room role? IE: "has an impressive library"

1. Untested on my end. Others report no issues. I imagine those books will not go into these bookcases.
2. It does create a new room stat called "Library."

AtonicX

Messed around with the mod a bit, came across a little bug when I got a Cargo Pod. Error by Unknown, very interesting. I got 7 of them. Oh b o y. But hey, maybe you could code it to where skill books can drop in these instead?

[attachment deleted due to age]
I've been thinking... (Oh no, it thinks!)

Naji

Quote from: AtonicX on October 02, 2018, 01:05:47 PM
Messed around with the mod a bit, came across a little bug when I got a Cargo Pod. Error by Unknown, very interesting. I got 7 of them. Oh b o y. But hey, maybe you could code it to where skill books can drop in these instead?

I got the same error but I like that there is that trash button.

Madman666

I also got scrolls with error dropping from pods. Might wanna remove book related items from probable drop pod goods.

jecrell

Quote from: Madman666 on October 03, 2018, 12:15:36 PM
I also got scrolls with error dropping from pods. Might wanna remove book related items from probable drop pod goods.

I'll look into seeing what I can do about this.

Madman666

I'll assume i can anticipate expecting good outcome xD

Also can't wait for making skillbooks! Amazing work really.

Ruisuki

Sourpatchedcode

Loving the mod so far! I do have a small nitpick though.

Can we have an option in the mod menu to toggle on/off the "by" line in each book title? Having all three of the author's names printed into each book name adds a lot of visual clutter and makes it harder to keep the library organized.

AllisonIsLivid

I took a break around the launch of b19, but I had been trying (and failing) to adapt the writing system from the lovecraft mods to a less thematic kind of system. So I could have my colonists buy or produce digital writing. I was replacing the shelves with server banks, the books with tablet sort of things, and the journals with "audio logs." At least that was the aim. I wanted a spacer tech flavor of this writing system.

I'm really glad to see that this happened while I was away, and I look forward to it being updated to 1.0. I'm wondering too, if my idea could be worked into it? I had made some graphics for the future tech, that were based around some other visual mods I had been using, but I think they could work fine on their own, if i can track the files down.
Living in the past, I think if I remember that I'll forget this. I know you will.

ultra4

how do you write skillbooks? How to they work? don't see a recipe in xml either? was it removed? i'm using the master version and says 1.0.2059

Madman666

For now there isn't a recipe. We all wait for Jecrell to implement a way we can write them. They work literally by slowly raising skills of the reader while he has it in hand (reading it at the table to be precise). The better the book, the faster the raise of relevant skills.

ultra4

...funny enough, one day after i mentioned them, i finally saw one for sale, wasn't sure they were even in

still, there are errors in it.... (but it's readable, only found out it was inteligence skill after buying it, but hey its something, maybe one day a book on shooting may come by)