[MOD HELP REQUEST] RiMedieval (Low-tech/stylistic vanilla mod)

Started by Swarx, September 25, 2018, 02:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swarx

I'm basically looking for someone to do the (hopefully simple) coding concepts for this mod idea I have. Whoever does this is free to be the one who posts it on the steam workshop.

In a nutshell, I'm interested in helping create a mod that emulates a medieval world as described in the Rimworld Fiction Primer. I'm interested in keeping this a very vanilla-style mod that only alters and renames things in the base game rather than add completely new content, although it could ideally be compatible with mods that DO add new content. However, I am interested in reviving some content from the old versions of Rimworld, namely the shiv weapon and gibbet cage construct. I'm also planning on (personally) changing a bunch of the character backstories so that the vast majority of them fit the setting, so we're not plagued by space marines and VR gamers on this medieval planet.

Essentially, this is intended to be a vanilla-friendly "low technology/world-limiter" mod with some stylistic changes. More details below!

Imagine a Rimworld where modern technology has been all but forgotten. Perhaps spacers crashed here long ago, but their descendants have regressed. Human advancement seems to have simply halted at the feudal era, with some of the planet's tribal societies not even having reached that level. As such, the land is contested by squabbling kingdoms, evil warlords, and uncivilized clans. Firearms are long-forgotten constructs, with wars being fought by bows and blades. Perhaps some technological artifacts from their long-lost spacer ancestors remain, but to the world's current inhabitants, these concepts would remain impossible to grasp. Perhaps the tales of the old spacers and their wondrous technology have been bastardized into some form of religion in this brutal medieval world.

As is typical of a Rimworld, there is no centralized empire or government. The environment is ripe for independent townships and new tribes to form. Whether you are an up-and-coming clan, or a freelance lord with a handful of trusty peasants looking to form a new settlement, anything is possible in this realm.

Things Disabled

-Ancient ruins
-Items like AI cores, glitterworld medicine, neutroamine, chemfuel, etc.
-Researching electricity and related tech/buildings
-Mechanoids & ship part crashes
-Drop pods (though, there could be an option to enable this, since offworld spacers still exist)
-Bionics, prosthetics
-Other industrial/spacer stuff

Weapon Changes

-No guns
-Shivs re-added ( https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Shiv )
-"Gladius" renamed to "Shortsword"
-"Pila" renamed to "Javelins"
-"Ikwa" renamed to "Shortspear"
-"Molotov cocktails" to "Firebombs"

Clothing Changes

-No cowboy hats
-No bowler hats
-No marine armor
-"Tribalwear" renamed to "Rags"
-"T-shirt" renamed to "Plain shirt"
-"Jacket" renamed to "Tunic
-"Duster" renamed to "Surcoat"
-"Parka" renamed to "Thick coat"
-"Tuque" renamed to "Knit cap"
-"Simple helmet" renamed to "War helmet"
-"Advanced helmet" renamed to "Bascinet"
-"Flak jacket" renamed to "Chain coat"
-"Flak vest" renamed to "Chestplate"
-"Flak pants" renamed to "Chain pants"
-Buffs/debuffs given so that plate armor becomes superior to a full "medieval flak" set
-The former "flak armors" can now be made at fueled smithies. The Flak armor research project is renamed to "Chain armor" (with Smithing as a perquisite). Chain armor research needed to make the chestplate, chain coat and chain pants. Chain armor must be researched before the Plate armor project, which unlocks plate armor and bascinets.

Misc. Changes

-Electric smelters are changed to "Fueled smelters", and require wood in order to smelt metal weapons and slag.
-Gibbet cages re-added. Just for fun. ( https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Gibbet_cage )

Faction Changes

-"Outlander union" renamed to "Kingdom" & "Prime councilor" renamed to "Monarch"
-"Pirate band" renamed to "Barbarian dominion" & "Boss" renamed to "Warlord"
-Tribes unchanged

Pawn Type Changes

(I have not actually coded new pawn types, the images are concepts.)

Barbarians

Vagabond: Wears rags or no clothes at all, if weather permits. Uses shivs, knives and clubs.

Skirmisher: Wears rags and/or articles of simple clothing. Uses shortbows and javelins.

Forester: Wears simple clothing, possibly with war helmet, chestplate or chain pants. Uses greatbows.

Brigand: Wears layered clothing, possibly with war helmet, chestplate or chain pants. Uses knives, maces, shortspears, spears shortswords.

Warrior: More likely to have armor, as well as a small chance of low-quality plate. Uses spears, shortswords, longswords.

Mercenaries (Joins kingdoms or barbarians)

Mercenary Soldier: Wears simple clothing, possibly with war helmet, chestplate or chain pants. Uses knives, javelins, maces, spears, shortswords.

Mercenary Archer: Wears simple clothing, possibly with war helmet. Uses shortbows, recurve bows.

Mercenary Marksman: Wears layered clothing, possibly with war helmet, chestplate or chain pants. Uses greatbows.

Knight: Wears plate armor and war helmet or bascinet. Uses longswords.

Kingdoms

Commoner: Wears simple clothing. Uses shivs, knives and clubs. May be trader.

Militia: Wears simple clothing. Uses knives, clubs, shortspears, shortbows and javelins.

Footman: Wears simple clothing, possibly with war helmet, chestplate or chain pants. Uses maces, shortswords.

Archer: Wears simple clothing, possibly with war helmet, chestplate or chain pants. Uses greatbows.

Man-at-arms: More likely to have armor, as well as a small chance of low-quality plate. Uses spears, shortswords, longswords.

Lord: Equivalent to town councilman. Wears simple clothing in peaceful visits. In hostile encounters, wears plate armor and war helmet or bascinet. Uses longswords. May be monarch.

N7Huntsman

The Rim is a cruel place.

Swarx

It's quite similar, but there's a lot of renaming done to provide a medieval aesthetic, as well as a restructuring of raiders/outlanders in terms of pawns.

I also came up with a bunch of backstories that could be included into this mod (optionally) to make it more likely to roll medieval pawns.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=45997.msg437307#msg437307