Quality of Life (Q.O.L) Possible Improvements for Rimworld:

Started by NachoToast, September 26, 2018, 01:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NachoToast

Some of these may be mods but it would still be nice to have them in the vanilla game instead of having to download a mod.
•   Designating meals for colonists/prisoners (animals too?), similar to the way colonists/prisoners/animals are assigned which type of medicine to use when sick, (e.g. prisoners can be set to use herbal by default, and colonists glitter world)
•   Stockpile Hysteresis (e.g. only make haulers refill cells if below <x% of item)
o   Adding onto this: Option to only haul when there are x items in stack, (e.g. after a cook makes a stack of 10 meals, only then do they get hauled to the freezer).
•   Cleaners avoid cleaning bedrooms when colonists are sleeping inside them, and will wait till the room is vacant, (perhaps this could be a toggleable feature?).
•   Ability to toggle the visibility of plans.
•   Healer mech serums, when being administered to a colonists with multiple organs/limbs missing (and no other health conditions) should form the most valuable limb that is missing, (example: a colonist has a toe missing and a permanent brain injury, the healer serum will heal the brain injury instead of choosing randomly which one to heal).
•   After a battle (and after they're undrafted) colonists with injuries should prioritize resting instead of eating a meal or other unimportant tasks.
-NachoToast

5thHorseman

Quote from: NachoToast on September 26, 2018, 01:09:06 AM
•   Designating meals for colonists/prisoners (animals too?), similar to the way colonists/prisoners/animals are assigned which type of medicine to use when sick, (e.g. prisoners can be set to use herbal by default, and colonists glitter world)
YES please.
•   Stockpile Hysteresis (e.g. only make haulers refill cells if below <x% of item)
o   Adding onto this: Option to only haul when there are x items in stack, (e.g. after a cook makes a stack of 10 meals, only then do they get hauled to the freezer).
YES again. Basically stockpile bills like workbenches have. "Pause when satisfied" and all that.
•   Cleaners avoid cleaning bedrooms when colonists are sleeping inside them, and will wait till the room is vacant, (perhaps this could be a toggleable feature?).
Further, pawns should clean their own GD rooms especially if they have a bad mood about it.
•   Healer mech serums, when being administered to a colonists with multiple organs/limbs missing (and no other health conditions) should form the most valuable limb that is missing, (example: a colonist has a toe missing and a permanent brain injury, the healer serum will heal the brain injury instead of choosing randomly which one to heal).
I thought for sure this already happened. I've always thought that when the game picks the one I don't want, it's because the game determined for some reason that that was the "worst" one. It's never picked - say - a 50% scratched eye over a shattered spine for me.
•   After a battle (and after they're undrafted) colonists with injuries should prioritize resting instead of eating a meal or other unimportant tasks.
I'd be happy if after a battle, everybody didn't instantly whip out a meal, sit cross-legged on the blood soaked ground, and eat. But yes, in general prioritization of injuries could use some love both immediately after a battle and in general.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Kangoshi

It's already in the game, version 1.0.xxxx.
Yes, please!

b0rsuk

When you click on a tile, especially a wall or ore type, a context icon shows up for example to mine or deconstruct it. I have to repeat the process for several tiles, or go to the Orders menu but then I have to switch from the menu that has been useful for me so far. How about "whenever I click on a Mine/Deconstruct/Chop wood... icon, my cursor is placed in mine/deconstruct/chop mode which works like the one from orders menu and can be exited from using Escape key or right click" ?

• Double clicking on a plant in a growing zone should select all plants.
  • For the last time, please make see soil type visible when placing growing zones! It could use color codes (".svg" patterns for colorblind people if you're ambitious) based on fertility level. Trying to place a greenhouse (walls +sunlamp but no hydroponic table) in a wooded area is a frustrating experience.
  • See above for placing sunlamp. It's nice that sunlamp has a range notifier, but it would be better if it also indicated soil fertility levels in its range as you are placing it.
  • Priority cleaning zone. This area would have priority when cleaning / removing snow, and it would have some sort "pause when clean" and "unpause when 70% dirty" functionality. Even with 1-2 dedicated cleaners they mostly do a poor job because they tend to clean the same areas over and over, but usually the wrong areas. I understand it could cause more micromanagement, so perhaps all priority cleaning zones should share the same settings? Like "copy stockpile settings", but automatic/global.

Vxsote

•   Stockpile Hysteresis (e.g. only make haulers refill cells if below <x% of item)

I came here to suggest this, and found that it has been suggested multiple times before and even modded previously.

(Optional story, important info follows in the second half of the post...)

I started my colony for a B19 playthrough on tundra, looking for a little bit of challenge.  The growing season is supposed to be 20 days long, but Randy decided in the first year that summer would end with a cold snap, followed by a long poison fallout.  Winter came.  First the tribespeople ate what little food and wildlife was able to be harvested before everything died.  Then they ate the yorkies.  Raiders came, were killed, and were left to be eaten by the huskies.  The next time raiders came, the colonists were so hungry that they ate them raw.

5 years later, the colony is finally thriving.  Until last winter, when the massive grow barn was completed, the muffalo herd was still being supported by raider-kibble.  But now we can finally grow enough food through the winter to sustain ~20 colonists and prisoners and a enough muffalos to go caravanning.  Life is good.

But with growth has come inefficiency.  Specifically, hauling has become an issue.  All but one of the huskies were killed, serving their masters heroically until the end.  The colony scraped together enough silver to buy a breeding pair of golden retrievers from a trader, but the first puppy was eaten by a bear, and breeding has been slow.  Even once breeding gets ramped up, sustaining a significant number of hauling animals on this map will be expensive.  The older colonists are slower now than they were five years ago, especially the ones with missing toes and prosthetic legs.  The new opportunistic hauling has helped quite a bit, but the bottom line is that materials and drops are not being gathered efficiently enough and stuff is being left to rot.
  Hauling inefficiency is the single biggest problem I am having with my current colony size.

(ok, enough of the story narrative)

Specifically, my haulers now spend most of their time running things around one or two at a time, when it really isn't necessary.    The high-traffic areas near the middle of my base stay well organized, but materials mined, items dropped, and food harvested near the perimeter usually stays where it falls because there is always another 1-item haul job closer to a pawn who is looking to haul.

This is particularly an issue with stockpiles having different priorities.  E.g., I have an important pile of meals sitting next to the kitchen table, which (in theory) reduces the number of trips in and out of the freezer (preferred pile), saving time and energy.  The pile doesn't need to be replenished until it is empty (or nearly so), and I would prefer that it not be.  Yet, every time someone eats, there is a new, pointless, 1-item haul job.  Ditto with every other consumable that is used in quantities significantly less than the stockpile size.

This also impacts drop-on-floor bills.  Drop-on-floor starts out great because the items get hauled later, all at once, and the crafter doesn't waste much time running around.  But eventually, drop-on-floor stops providing effective haul consolidation and becomes only a division-of-work mechanism between crafter and hauler.

A way to fix a big part of this would be to apply hysteresis to pile-to-pile hauls.  It might be useful to give separate consideration to piles as the destination (pull from lower priority when below a certain inventory) and source (push to higher priority when above a certain inventory).  This would fix input item replenishment, and after replacing drop-on-floor with directed output to a nearby pile, it would also fix output item haul away.

Normally, hysteresis has separate on-off triggers (including the suspend/resume logic for bills).  This could be useful for haul logic also, but wouldn't strictly be necessary, as once the haul trip is triggered, it will naturally be for more than one item.  It would, however, be nice to be able to limit the pile quantity to something less than a full stack, and a stop-haul trigger would give that as well.

Lastly, I suggest that items not in a stockpile always be hauled if there is space available, or perhaps an option should exist to cause that.