"Storytelling"

Started by Shurp, September 26, 2018, 01:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

1) Colonist gets brained by a machine gun pistol
   *sigh* guess I'll euthanize her
2) Colonist's father gets a -20 mood penalty for the next 29 days
   *gah* guess I'll banish him

Oh, wait, I could have banished the daughter in the first place -- her brain had 4hp left, she would have wandered off 'safely', right?

Anyway... I just have the sense that I'm missing something here; what's the correct storyline?  Keep a babbling useless pawn around?  Something else?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

I don't think there's a "correct" action. This isn't a puzzle game with a solution to it.

You could have banished her to take advantage of the fact that pawns not in your colony are magically safe once they leave the map.
You could have killed her and lived with the bad mood on the father. Maybe let him in the Smokeweed or Ambrosia to dull the pain.
You could have built (or used from an ancient danger) a cryosleep casket to keep her on ice until maybe you found some healer mech serum, or just transferred her to the ship when you built it.
You could have set her to hauling and cleaning and dealt with having an otherwise useless maid.

I probably would have tried the Maid route and put her in Cryo if it didn't work out. But I never banish innocents just because they're sad or euthanize anybody (though I've had a few "accidents" while removing a heart or two) Your solution is perfectly fine if it works for you. I just hope you stripped both of them first.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

BLACK_FR

You can heal her later. So if you are ready to bear the costs before you heal her (like I always do) - then do it.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Serenity

You're not even playing for story here. You're min/max-ing and then trying to contrive a story to justify it

Bobisme

Healer mech syrum will cure that or kill her n use a resurrector mech serum, or chop her up make clothing out of her so her dad can still have her with him.. aaand then turn her into a fine meal, cause she woulda wanted it that way, lmfao

lotsa possabilities
you can also use a brain stimulator with bad side effects..

fun fun

i'da gone with maid, if she was a great pawn waiting to be healed
You can as they say cheese it? Throw a molotov in her bedroom and get no debuff bar pawn died..

There is no wrong or right to it, your story was daughter died father lost the plot and was kicked out, a somber day..
:D

vzoxz0

Stories aren't always happy.

Shurp

Hmmm, keeping a maid around and waiting for mech serum to show up sounds like a reasonable choice -- especially since she had a family relationship in the group.  And it makes sense from a storyline perspective too.  Visitor: "Why are you keeping that drooling idiot around?  It's more humane to knife her."  Negotiator (whispers): "She's the Boss's daughter, and, well..."

Anyway, I'll give that a try next time.  Thanks!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

zizard

Banish OP compared to euthanise.

Limdood

Quote from: zizard on September 26, 2018, 09:08:51 PM
dumb question probably...

Is there an option to banish pawns now in the game?  if so, how do i do it?  I've been previously "banishing" pawns by arresting them and then "accidentally" leaving the door open, but if i can do it in one swift action (and maybe without risk of berserk), then I'll pick that!

5thHorseman

Quote from: Limdood on September 27, 2018, 08:34:45 AM
Quote from: zizard on September 26, 2018, 09:08:51 PM
dumb question probably...

Is there an option to banish pawns now in the game?  if so, how do i do it?  I've been previously "banishing" pawns by arresting them and then "accidentally" leaving the door open, but if i can do it in one swift action (and maybe without risk of berserk), then I'll pick that!
Yeah but it's a bit hidden in one of the character stat screens. I think "bio". Right next to the rename button at the top above the character stats.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Shurp

It's an icon in the upper right of the Bio screen that looks like a little door, as in "show the colonist the door" - out he goes!

Given how useless some newfound colonists are (pyromaniac sheriff with cataracts anyone?) the banish option is absolutely necessary.  But you can argue it needs to be adjusted in some fashion.  I would recommend giving penalties similar to the existing death penalties for colonists who have been in the colony for a while.  For example, there's a "my friend died" in addition to the "colonist died" penalty.  There should be an additional "my friend was banished" penalty too (is there one already?)

Limdood

Thanks!  Also, can confirm there is a -3 mood penalty for the colony for banishing.

Btw, in between asking and reading the response, i managed to find the caravan banish option...as long as a caravan has 2+ members left, you can banish one of them with the red X in the health screen of the caravan.  Same penalty though.