Deterioration change?

Started by Dukkha, September 26, 2018, 01:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

I don't think they will change it back.

Much worser from my side at 1.0 are, all my wood and componets are gone after a season under the roof.
Looks like you need to build shelfs or storage rooms before you build sleeping rooms.

Shurp

I know that you need walls in B19 to keep stuff from deteriorating, but that doesn't seem like a major change; I always felt like it was a cheat in B18 and prior to just put a roof up and leave things exposed to the outside.  Has 1.0 done anything differently from B19 in this regard?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

BLACK_FR

Nope, in B19 and 1.0 no health affect utility of anything, but it affect wealth. So it's good idea to change your new normal rifle for 10% normal rifle that was dropped by a raider.
I think that this change is bad and I created mod request for balance changes but there were no replies yet (I'm ready to provide all necessary numbers).
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Scavenger

I miss it as well! Not only was it realistic, but it stopped ppl from trying to cheese the colony wealth by letting items deteriorate...

Could somebody make a mod for it?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Scavenger

It also takes away from the crafting system... You get so many guns from raids, and now that they are all full accuracy, AND damaged for colony wealth, just use them a lot of the time.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Serenity

Quote from: Shurp on October 21, 2018, 12:16:00 PM
I always felt like it was a cheat in B18 and prior to just put a roof up and leave things exposed to the outside. 
I think this should depend on the item. Wood or hay for example should be ok just with a roof.

Scavenger

Quote from: Serenity on October 21, 2018, 01:37:36 PM
Quote from: Shurp on October 21, 2018, 12:16:00 PM
I always felt like it was a cheat in B18 and prior to just put a roof up and leave things exposed to the outside. 
I think this should depend on the item. Wood or hay for example should be ok just with a roof.

I, too, see it as a cheap cheat lol.

And I agree some things should be ok with just a roof. Primarily the wood and hay he mentioned.

BLACK_FR

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=45867
I can provide all necessary numbers if someone can implement them. There so many mods but none that improve balance as far as I know.
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

bbqftw

you might look at greep, who made an interesting concept that purely scales raids with time:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

in such a case, you then are incentivized to go all out with efficiency, without any of this wealth gaming stuff

BLACK_FR

Great advice, he certainly think in the right direction.

Shurp

But I *like* my rubber band!

Anyway, I just recalled another reason to go back to B18 -- armor worked back then too. 

So deterioration and armor are reasons to go back to B18, while pathfinding and raider AI could be reasons to stay with B19.  What are the other major changes between the two?  If I stick with B18 is there something significant I'll be missing out on?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Shurp on October 21, 2018, 05:26:00 PM
If I stick with B18 is there something significant I'll be missing out on?
Better caravans (visiting)
Better caravans (sending)
I'm not sure when the 15-day timer on the ship was introduced, but if you lose that I consider it pretty big.
Mod updates and any new mods.
Can't think of any more offhand right now.

One big problem is I played an older version - I think .16 - then quit for a year or so and came back with .19. So I don't know first hand what changes came when.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Shurp

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 21, 2018, 06:20:44 PM
Mod updates and any new mods.

Yeah, that was the one that had me most concerned.  Well, I'm enjoying vanilla right now, so I think I'll stick with that on B18 for a while... when I get tired of it and want to play with mods again I'll upgrade.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: 5thHorseman on September 26, 2018, 01:42:12 AM
No it does not, and I think it's sad too.

There's an argument that quality of gun doesn't actually affect accuracy but I don't really care if it's realistic so long as it makes things interesting. Maybe they could still shoot fine but jam a lot or take longer to reload, I don't know, but I totally agree with you a 5% hp gun should be in some way worse than a 100% hp gun. Ideally, it should be 95% worse :)

It's non-trivial to fix.  If you make gun durability matter, then raiders will either only have good durability weapons (trivializing the mechanic) or they will have poor durability weapons, giving players an advantage in fights where they don't micro to hit raiders without return fire.  I'm not sure that's actually better in game terms.

BLACK_FR

@TheMeInTeam
You can make raiders stuff lose health when dropped. It's a bit of a hassle but alternative where new gun and 1% hp gun works the same is even worse.