Hate me for it, but rimworld lacks (almost has no) story.

Started by Bobisme, September 26, 2018, 11:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobisme

I am about to bash rimworld, it is one of my favourite games, bring on the critique

If rimworld were a story and as you read the chapters, you'd get to chapter 5 and go hang on didn't this happen in chapter 2?

You get 4 or so events that rinse and repeat with a lifeless wasteland outside of the only thing that breaths in rimworld, your settlement. there is other 'bases' if you can call them that, but they are slapped together squares with a few turrets thrown in.

I love this game*

The progress in the game creation so far, has been to put the things in that should be in, one damn solid foundation for some great stories. but there are no actors apart from the ones you directly control with almost no outside influence
You got a raid, you've been ambushed, poison ship, raid, poison ship, fallout, raid, poison ship, raid, raid, raid, volcanic winter, that about sums it up..

The book of rimworld is laden with golden covers, but the pages lay somewhat bare, fill the world of rimworld with life.

there is no fluctuation in story

Again, hate me for it, i think i gave a good bash, i say again, i love this game, it is beautiful and my god the hours my wife and i have put into it.

But, for the love of god (lol) put some life into the rest of the world, please :D :)

Something that isn't just arbitrary interaction
There is a post here somewhere saying 'tell your stories', there isn't many as there is no real variation..
I did have a hilarious yet sad moment where i had a self tamed squirrel, who got burnt, then cirosis of the liver then walked outside n had a meteor land on him all in the space of 3 or so days poor poor squirrel one.. :/

Jackalvin

I agree. I wish we had main enemy pawns, like a lowly pirate drifter who becomes a warband boss laden with cybernetics who holds a grudge against your colony.

I don't want the story too drawn out for me. I just want the pieces there to make a story
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Kangoshi

Game has so many other issues, other that story. I wouldn't want devs spend their time on a story until they all fixed. Sorry, but I'm sure many would agree with me. :-\
No reason to hate you, though. You want it - that's your right and we respect that. ;)

Bobisme

At no point did i say that issues should not be fixed, and the game is about to hit full release, there are very few issues.
it was stated some time back that after alot of adding things in, they were now pushing for release 'as is' if you will, excluding, obviously, fixing the bug or two :)
So based on that, what you see is what you get and it is a fine game as is, though, if we want to talk about a game based on 'storytelling' it needs more variation to the telling.

Boston

i agree with you regarding other factions. I visit other bases and think, "........this is the best they could come up with?"

b0rsuk

I would phrase it differently:certain crucial skills are over-represented in colonist backgrounds. The holy trinity:
growing, construction, mining

Mining is perhaps less crucial now, you can build a stonecutter's table right away and I don't think any biome lacks loose chunks. But it's still very important in mid game to start manufacturing armor and items.

I'm playing a game on Randy Harsh where my colonists in quite warm Temperate Swamp (small hills?) have 3+4+3 Construction at the start of the first Autumn, and after lots of effort training it. Cutting down those trees, growing rice (to train faster), barely being able to build a few dirty shacks is a completely different experience!

On the plus side, I'm starting with a good sniper, Animals expert and a cook; a very passionate doctor; an excellent crafter and researcher. But between them nobody can build or grow worth a damn, I only recently managed to cobble a food powered generator together only to find out I need 2 more to power a sunlamp! Good that I have rich soil, no need for hydroponic tables. But I'll be switching my crafter to the night shift because 100W spare power won't even sustain a machining table. But my main source of food is still hunting, I can barely scrable some room for a small warehouse and living quarters, nutrient paste dispenser would be very useful but is a space hog and would essentially require battery research.

The lebian bush sniper, nudist shelter child chick, recently saved a mental patient Giggles from a pursuit. No, he can't build and barely expands my options. The prisoner I got (no option to rescue) can't build either.

It's a strange colony so far.

AileTheAlien

I'd also like an expansion of the story-telling elements of the game. There's some minor things, like leaders of enemy tribes in the game, but right now they're just random events that occasionally happen. Even if the game just had some Madlibs-style stories, that could be chopped up and delivered over a couple of raids, that would be an improvement. For example, consider these messages, given to a handful of otherwise normal raids:
- You're under attack by the Ash Lawbreakers. One of them shouts, "We're here for your women and children! If you don't have any of those, your food and silver will suffice!"
- The Ash Lawbreakers are assaulting your colony again. One of them screams at you, "This is for John!" before attacking.
- "You've been a thorn in our side for too long; We're here to wipe you out!" The Ash Lawbreakers attack your colony.

There could be several event-chains like this. Have a story, where pirates are attacking your colony, for your supplies of [insert name of randomly chosen food from colony's crops here]. There could be a story, where the outlander faction is attacking you because of an epidemic in their nearby town - first, they attack because they need more medical supplies, then they attack because they need to kidnap your doctor, then they attack because they need to replenish their farming workforce, and the final attack would be because they are desperate and suicidal. Make a story, where the next three attacks from the outlanders, pirates, and tribes, are to steal your priceless [insert name of masterwork sculpture here]. None of this would need any changes to the actual raids - just some basic fill-in-the-blanks stories, that are kept track of over time. It would require more work than just flat text stories, but would be very cheap compared to full-on Dwarf-Fortress style world- and social-simulation.

Bobisme

With what i have gotten out of this game for the price i have paid i am more than happy, (i think i have gotten more bang for my buck here than i have on any other game) and because of that fact i would be more than happy to pay for an expansion to get that extended story.
$5 for the Rimworld lifer pack? adds several extra 'story lines' from outsiders, more emphasis on their properties, on ma n pa ranche quests n the like? no worries, happy to pay n well deserved, take my money...

luifnotluigi

I agree with you. It would be nice if the factions where reworked so they interacted more with eachoter and you in different ways. maybe a faction claims that your colony should pay taxes to them or be faced with great opression.  or maybe a big global organization is founded and they call you to participate but, in particapating you will have to obey certain codes of conduct or face severe sanctions by the UN-like organization. also, MORE FACTIONS PLS. Make factions join together and form countries.
and so maybe you could have a different ending. where you join into a country and slowly climb your way up the country hierarchy, going from a small village to the capital of an empire (one that you formed or that you joined) with you being DRAFTED or HIRED from your settlement to fight in a nation to nation war.
also the possibility of two of your allies going to war with each other and you having to either mediate the conflict or to pick a side in it.
maybe great cities for the capitals of great nations. Wich could be ever changing every time you visit it (for it growns).
the possibility of a tribal faction evolving to a higher level of technology.
the factions lack spontaneity

Bobisme

Something that adds extra to Rimworld without really changing the way the game plays, wont hurt it.
Like factions demanding resources or they raid, a down and out 'ranch' that needs help, the game play is still intact but they drain you more, the ranch forces feels without taking away from the fact that you too are trying to survive in the harsh world that is rimworld, it wouldn't hurt the games fundamentals.
Those outside forces really make you feel like you're part of something, there are actually ppl out there depending on you, there are actually ppl out there knowing you're rich and want a slice, not a random repeated event :/ :)

If you ask me, one reason why the 'outside' isn't so fleshed out is because of how far they can go from/loose sight of the original concept, nothing wrong with an expansions, they deserve as much. Not some EA money grab, but legit expansions.

EDIT: the added stories have to be ignorable, if they are the game doesn't actually change or lose what it was but you can grab more stories, fill the book..

FEED ME, lmao