Water

Started by MFWIC888, September 28, 2018, 06:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFWIC888

Hi all.

Something has bothered me since playing through this game a few times.

There is no water required for survival.

A fundamental aspect to most survival games is missing.

Not that it's game breaking but seems a little strange to not have water  as a functional requirement to your survival.

lowdegger

Quote from: MFWIC888 on September 28, 2018, 06:46:10 AM
Hi all.

Not that it's game breaking but seems a little strange to not have water  as a functional requirement to your survival.

This reminds me of when the guy who plays Sam in Game of Thrones was talking to someone who said it seems weird that Sam stays fat while living at the Wall, and the actor says there are dragons and magic and zombies but my still being fat is the thing you find unrealistic?

Canute

Another thing that appear like xmas. :-)
Just enter Suggestion subforum, and search there for water.

Bobisme

A little known fact.. :P
Rimworldians actually use something similar to Dunes stillsuit, a small body hugging device that turns sweat into water, looks somewhat like a necklace with a straw :P
So, there is no real need for a water drinking supply :P ..

:D :D

OFWG

Water systems have been suggested a few times but IIRC Tynan thinks it would be too tedious. The 'water' need is kind of abstracted into the 'food' need.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

MFWIC888

Was hopeing this forum would not be as toxic as some others, but once again the internet has lived up to its reputation with anonymous individuals posts.

A simple redirect would have sufficed.

Have a great day....this will be my first topic and last post.

🤐

5thHorseman

Weird if you think THAT was toxic you should probably avoid the entire Internet. That was downright mild compared to ... jeez how I act in real life usually.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

b0rsuk

Hi all.

You have to draw the line somewhere. Colonists eat twice a day and it's already annoying because they're a bit poor at managing their priorities. It gets worse if you use nutrient paste dispenser (they don't carry those meals around). A human dies in about 1 month of starvation, but within about 3 days of water deprivation. A naive implementation would mean colonists need to drink 10x more often than they eat - and they eat twice per day! So... 20 drinks per day? If you make it required as often as food,
  • why bother, if it's functionally the same? Micromanagement/priority mismanagement would get more than 2x worse.
  • If you let colonists carry canteens around, they you're effectively removing the need to drink.
  • water pipes: power conduits 2.0. We already have conduits. Maybe if pipes could burst and flood areas, but it's hard to do convincingly in a hopelessly 2D game.

I would also like more emphasis on survival aspects of the game, but it has been recently renamed to "story generator" (check out title screen).

I think you would have better success convincing people about water if you focused on what would water bring to the game. One area where it could be valuable is making biomes more diverse. At the moment desert is a pretty comfortable biome, and good for growing. Yes, soil is a bit poor but on the flip side outside summer heat waves you can grow stuff in outdoor hydroponic tables. Gravel is good enough for potatoes. Arid shrubland is sort of a paradise garden in this game, you can grow as much as you want. Compared to cold biomes, hot biomes are rather dull. Cold biomes have interesting mechanics like snow, trivial food freezers, freezing water.

b0rsuk

Quote from: lowdegger on September 28, 2018, 10:43:54 AM
This reminds me of when the guy who plays Sam in Game of Thrones was talking to someone who said it seems weird that Sam stays fat while living at the Wall, and the actor says there are dragons and magic and zombies but my still being fat is the thing you find unrealistic?

I hope he does a good job playing the character, because as a person he's an idiot. Game of thrones is one of the most realistic fantasy settings ever. So-called "low fantasy".  Yes, it has dragons and zombies but it has its own internal consistency and - at least in the books - characters are often very rational. Fantasy and sci-fi often make a substitution at some fundamental level by changing some rules, but they tend to be logical from that point (esp. sci-fi). People who like Game of Thrones often do so because it's one of the more convincing fantasy settings, and it's largely because of its rationality and pragmatism.

sadpickle

I too would like a water system. But it's just one more need that makes the early game needlessly challenging and complicated. Like b0rsuk said it would make the drier biomes less of a default for e-z mode. It would also make things like rivers highly desirable (I avoid them because they interfere with my commieblocks.)

lowdegger

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 29, 2018, 08:34:31 AM
Quote from: lowdegger on September 28, 2018, 10:43:54 AM

I hope he does a good job playing the character, because as a person he's an idiot. Game of thrones is one of the most realistic fantasy settings ever. So-called "low fantasy".  Yes, it has dragons and zombies but it has its own internal consistency and - at least in the books - characters are often very rational. Fantasy and sci-fi often make a substitution at some fundamental level by changing some rules, but they tend to be logical from that point (esp. sci-fi). People who like Game of Thrones often do so because it's one of the more convincing fantasy settings, and it's largely because of its rationality and pragmatism.

Yes, rational, pragmatic dragons.

Dargaron

Not to mention the existence of dynasties that not only have lasted longer than the entirety of recorded human history, but have retained the same territorial lands, physical characteristics and cultural traits. Presumably, whatever magic is keeping Lannisters blonde is also what keeps Sam fat.

Then there's the fact that the irregularity of the seasons should've wiped out plant life as we know it: the kind of perennial grains that we tend to eat would be wholly unsuited to a decade-long winter, yet everyone in Westeros is growing what looks like bog standard European wheat. Basically, the plant life would have to be radically different than what we're used to.

Finally: the Seven Kingdoms were ruled by dynasts who practiced brother-sister incest as a matter of policy for three centuries. Yet it's still the most severe taboo on the books. For Three. Hundred. Years.

TL:DR: GRRM's grasp of time is way out there.

Alenerel

Its a mix between reality and gameplay. Adding water would be a major hassle that would take out fun out of the game, and add nothing in exchange that food doesnt already adds. Reminds me of Prison Architect when they added HOT water. The game suddenly became Plumber Architect... If you wanted to use hot water, you spent more time designing the goddamn pipes than the prison itself. I made a fully functional prison with water, all well thought and it was the most stressful thing ever... It really wasnt worth it.

Bobisme

Quote from: Alenerel on October 02, 2018, 02:41:15 AM
Reminds me of Prison Architect when they added HOT water.

That could definitely be one of the reasons that water was not added, to differentiate between rimworld and prison architect, if you removed the prisoners  from 'there' and the events from here you'd have a rather similar base structure if water was added you could almost cut and paste some prison architect places into rimworld i know there are other factors, but in the end pipes are pipes, toilets are toilets, showers are showers pumps are pumps etc

adding water isn't so simple, it's a huge pile of code, code that i don't think will ever be implemented. it over hauls SO much, moods, dirt levels, toilet needs, dirt clothes and bodies, dehydration, burst pipes?

If your going to talk about water you can't just say they drink because it brings to light so many other factors  if your going to drink , your going to wash, your going to wash your going to toilet, etc

jpinard

Quote from: 5thHorseman on September 29, 2018, 12:50:22 AM
Weird if you think THAT was toxic you should probably avoid the entire Internet. That was downright mild compared to ... jeez how I act in real life usually.

All the responses here were very nice.  This guy was desperately looking for a fight so he could rag on the community.  God knows why.  Maybe he ate too many colonists.