Character creation is really getting on my nerves

Started by PunisheR007, July 08, 2014, 06:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunisheR007

I like to start with an engineer, a miner and a commissar, sometimes i have to click so many times to find the right
stats i want. That turns out most of the time to be 20 - 30 mins for character creation which is way to much.
Plz tynan no more randomize, or can we at least select sex and what they are, like a miner and so on.

Cheers!!!

vagineer1

Quote from: PunisheR007 on July 08, 2014, 06:44:06 AM
I like to start with an engineer, a miner and a commissar, sometimes i have to click so many times to find the right
stats i want. That turns out most of the time to be 20 - 30 mins for character creation which is way to much.
Plz tynan no more randomize, or can we at least select sex and what they are, like a miner and so on.

Cheers!!!

I have to admit, this randomizing feature is annoying. Sometimes I have to press the random button about 50 times just to get a guy who is capable of everything.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

PunisheR007

Quote from: vagineer1 on July 08, 2014, 06:49:53 AM
Quote from: PunisheR007 on July 08, 2014, 06:44:06 AM

Cheers!!!

I have to admit, this randomizing feature is annoying. Sometimes I have to press the random button about 50 times just to get a guy who is capable of everything.

Indeed i feel the same, i hope Tynan decides to give us better character creation.

mrofa

Its a good feature, it only need balancing, so that there are some benefits from some inabilities.
But that would require also some additional ingame objects that would somehow make thous inabilities atleast abit usefull or would require them to operate.
One of good example would be hunting, since now haveing a assasin type colonist isnt that much a waste of space when you can just set him to be your main hunter.
All i do is clutter all around.

dazhat

I think it should randomise all of the starting characters at the same time but allow players to make small changes to the starting stats.

nuschler22

I have even stricter guidelines when I start.  At least two have to be women.  I don't want it being a sausage fest.

Surviving on a strange planet is hard enough when it's two women and you.

sparda666

I mean I know this is low priority feature wise but it would definitely be cool to have the option to select body type and hair or something. I usually spend quite some time randomizing age and gender to the point where it is somewhat representative of my friends and myself. Putting myself and my friends in the game adds a stronger level of attachment to my characters. Stats come secondary as long as it wont completely screw over my colony.

But then after a half hour of randomizing my dudes, when I get in game, and my pawn is a fat guy with a mohawk, I end up restarting. No offense to any large mohawked individuals out there, but it just doesnt represent me.

Marshy

JorDash

Quote from: Marshy on July 08, 2014, 11:41:46 AM
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4554.0

Just get the mod and create all you like.

Or edit the save file.

Excellent mod. One of my must haves. Personally I'd rather the traits get finished be usable than fixing the randomizer.

Nurche

Definitely one of the gripes I have with the game right now. I like having a good start to my games which is usually a miner/builder, gardener/cook and one other with either mining, construction, crafting or growing. It takes a long time to randomize those. I don't think the randomize feature should be removed, but a 'manual' mode option added would be nice. Just giving you a certain number of points to allocate to each skill.

The mod looks exactly what I'd like in the game. I'll try it out, would love if it was integrated into the main game  :)

ApexPredator

Quote from: nuschler22 on July 08, 2014, 10:26:47 AM
I have even stricter guidelines when I start.  At least two have to be women.  I don't want it being a sausage fest.

Surviving on a strange planet is hard enough when it's two women and you.

Clearly someone that has never lived with women other than mom... Living on a random planet is enough of a sanity struggle without two moody women messing up the camp bathroom.

To the OP, the randomness of start is one of the strong points to a story telling game like this. If everyone of your stories started the same way, they would become less interesting each time. Random colonists and a random map make you change your play style to suit your strengths and overcome your weakness. Of course it seems like we have a different play styles and this is just my opinion and I would have no problem if an option was added to suit your needs as I could simply not use it.

TwixFunSize

I think you can customize to a certain extent. I feel that you still have to randomize for the charterers stats, But he makes it easier to get better states