[Finished] [1.0] Survival Tools

Started by XeoNovaDan, September 30, 2018, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

It might be feasible to do something similar to what I did with mining yield where I could split it into 'General' and 'Trees' or something of the sort, where colonists will simply get less wood from barehanding trees or using bad tools. I don't want to replace the speed modifier though, just because people can't punch down trees as quickly as they can with a high-quality plasteel axe for example, which kind of goes against this mod's goal of eliminating that standout MC logic.

temple_wing

When use this mod together with SimpleSidearm, Pawn can not automatically choose tools to use.

PS: my version is v0.2.

XeoNovaDan

Ah. Yeah, pawns don't actually equip their tools, but they get passively used instead. This was clarified in v0.3, but I wouldn't recommend using 0.3 since it had quite a few bugs. Probably a good time to check out 0.4 which should still work fine with B19 despite it being a 1.0 mod

temple_wing

I suggest make it actually equip it. It's more intuitive.
When working, switch to tools, when fighting, switch back.
Maybe put it to TODO list.

XeoNovaDan

We'll see. While it is indeed more intuitive, there are some design implications (e.g. pawns that are incapable of violence, or the AI when I get to implementing AI tool use). I'd probably also have to redesign some elements of this mod's code since in its current code state, it probably won't be able to handle auto-equipping in some edge cases.

I'll to-do it anyway, but no guarantees for implementation and it's a low priority thing.

rawrfisher

For now I think people can use a mod like weapon storage to do that
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

XeoNovaDan

It's been a while but Release Candidate 1 has finally been pushed. No significant changes, but many minor changes have been made - mostly bugfixes and rebalances.

Copypasted change log from GitHub:

Note: The idea of having AI use tools has been put on hold again due to design difficulties

* Several minor bugfixes
* Tool degradation has been reworked
* Tweaked tool stat quality scaling
* New alert for when colonists have tools with only 12 hours of use or less
* New option to toggle tool degradation
* Rebalanced several materials' effects on tool stats
* Smelter bills now allow tools by default (except glitterworld multitool)

XeoNovaDan

I assume that stability and balancing with this mod have both been good considering this hasn't exploded with bug reports or balance complaints, so a release in a couple of weeks is on the horizon - enough time for the dust to settle with 1.0 hopefully. Just need to get a preview, and then a slightly modified RC1 (mainly learning helper entries) will be pushed as initial release.

XeoNovaDan

Release Candidate 2 has now been pushed.

Changelog:

* Split the Using Tools learning helper entry into Equipping Tools and Using Tools
* Added new learning helper entry for Tool Degradation
* Now adds standalone functionality to pick up items (thanks Mehni!)

zmadz

but but i need my Butcher cleaver to cook like a man ! :)

Ruisuki

Ive seen a couple of tools mods around but ive installed a few of your mods already, i like the content so Im choosing this. Ill be waiting for this one to release fully to add it to my game.

ultra4

tools are neither simple weapon nor complex weapon, and once degraded cannot be mended. Is this bug or intended?

zmadz

there is an option that they don't degrade when in use so why would u want to repair them ?

ultra4

i personally prefer to have them degrade and then spend a few cloth+steel to repair them (managing), than to have them not degrade. Every weapon or apparel does.

XeoNovaDan

@Ruisuki - Much appreciated!

@ultra4 - Good catch. Will work on compatibility with Mending now.