the ludeon policy makes the game unplayable

Started by ikodan, September 30, 2018, 01:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikodan

Hello,

I played about 3000h to rimworld, the first problem of this game is that it is reasonably not worth playing without at least 150 mods, and that the system proposed by ludeon is catastrophic:
-The mod system is disgusting and you will easily need dozens of hours to find a good mod order (and a mod to change the mod order) for it to work at best, yet you will have tons of bugs and your game will lag for nothing.
-Whenever ludeon updates, all mods must be updated, and many of them will not be updated, or several months later, and so RIP your save ; and because some mods are updated, RIP your save too if you wanted to downgrade the game. Also, the fact that all the mods have to be updated at the same time as the game is really a big problem, some games like ark do not have this problem and mods that dalt of 2015 still work.

I can not play rimworld anymore because of this disgusting system. I had done the best mod pack, n ° 1 of the workshop, with more than 200 mods, I gave the file to automatically put them in the best order, and there were still bugs, and because of the update you kicked in the anthill and nothing can work anymore. For me it's unacceptable.

5thHorseman

You forgot the world "literally" in front of "unplayable."

The game is very playable in stock. It is also playable with mods that don't affect the ability of a save to work without them. I know this to be true because I played without any mods for the vast majority of unstable 1.0/0.19 and I my current games could all load and play fairly normally in an all-stock game.

Also, of the 3 games I have played recently with large modding communities, the mod loading system in Rimworld is my absolute favorite. I *WISH* that Factorio and Kerbal Space Program's mod loading systems were as "disgusting" as Rimworld's.

I understand that you're frustrated, but with 200+ mods - at least some of which modify gameplay enough that they can't be done without - you can't expect updates that break mods to not break your save. And playing a game that's not even released yet you can't expect updates to not break mods.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Serenity

caddmus

It seems you some how mistakenly spelled Bethesda as ludeon,  an odd mistake but weirder stuff has happened.

jokes aside,  most games over the last few years (decades? decade?) have had this issue with mods and save games, its not new or unique,

Though I am sorry your not enjoying the game any longer,  Best of luck on your future endeavors and thank you for your opinion and we all in the forums are glad you enjoyed at least 2,950 of your gaming experience with us.

Dargaron

Let me get this straight: you bought a game clearly labelled as early access, and then decided to complain that updates break your selected mods every so often?

Also, mods that are downloaded directly, rather than through Steam Workshop (and yes, it IS possible to take a Steam Workshop mod and decouple it from the Workshop's auto-update system) do not have the problem of auto-updating: you have to actively grab the new patch from wherever the mod maker decided to upload it. So, if you dislike having your mods auto-update, that's a complaint about Valve, not Ludeon.

ikodan

Why everyone here is a liar ? Strange fact.

I have no time to lose with this kind of entities.

sadpickle

I think the mod system of Rimworld is far superior to say, Skyrim, which requires 2-3 third-party applications to even work properly. Skyrim's is, in a word, a clusterfuck. Rimworld's just werks.

I've never understood playing with 150 mods though. IMO that many mods is guaranteed to break something. There's probably no balance left there. I think 50 was the most I ever loaded and it felt hugely bloated. I'm down to 20 which feels reasonable. I never had a problem with mod conflicts at 50, either.

erdrik

::)

Vanilla Rimworld is playable just fine.
Rimworld's modding system is also usable just fine.

You cramming an unreasonable "wrench in the gearworks" number of mods in and calling the game "disgusting" and "unplayable" when it inevitably crashes down around you is what is unacceptable.

lowdegger

With 3000h I would say maybe you shouldn't play Rimworld any more anyway. Go for a walk.

5thHorseman

Quote from: ikodan on September 30, 2018, 05:32:39 PM
Why everyone here is a liar ?
Oh you should have just come out and said you were a troll to start.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

PatrykSzczescie

Alright, ikodan claims all previous posters are liars, including the one that predicated ikodan had bought a game. One who doesn't spend money will never have respect to what's given for free.

Btw, prior to A17, saves couldn't be kept between version. Devs have made the saves compactible with subsequent versions. Now, complaints like these are aroused just because they offered such magnanimity.

Electroid

Quote from: ikodan on September 30, 2018, 01:47:20 PM
Hello,

I played about 3000h to rimworld, the first problem of this game is that it is reasonably not worth playing without at least 150 mods, and that the system proposed by ludeon is catastrophic:
-The mod system is disgusting and you will easily need dozens of hours to find a good mod order (and a mod to change the mod order) for it to work at best, yet you will have tons of bugs and your game will lag for nothing.
-Whenever ludeon updates, all mods must be updated, and many of them will not be updated, or several months later, and so RIP your save ; and because some mods are updated, RIP your save too if you wanted to downgrade the game. Also, the fact that all the mods have to be updated at the same time as the game is really a big problem, some games like ark do not have this problem and mods that dalt of 2015 still work.

I can not play rimworld anymore because of this disgusting system. I had done the best mod pack, n ° 1 of the workshop, with more than 200 mods, I gave the file to automatically put them in the best order, and there were still bugs, and because of the update you kicked in the anthill and nothing can work anymore. For me it's unacceptable.
I entirely disagree, I play the game nearly entirely vanilla since early alpha 4/5/6 days when there was barely anything in this game, if you already have 3000hrs in a single player game that is worth 35$ you have easily DESTORYED the price to hour ratio that you would expect.

It completely baffles me that you fully acknowledge that this game is in an alpha state, you play with hundreds of mods and you fully expect it all to be working flawless FOREVER, get your shit outta here.

Scavenger

Quote from: ikodan on September 30, 2018, 05:32:39 PM
Why everyone here is a liar ? Strange fact.

I have no time to lose with this kind of entities.

Huh... I quite like being identified as an entity!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

vzoxz0

If you played 3000 hours of RimWorld, I'd say you squeezed as much value out of it as you can and should let dead dogs lie.

lowdegger

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 01, 2018, 04:24:23 AM
If you played 3000 hours of RimWorld, I'd say you squeezed as much value out of it as you can and should let dead dogs lie.

Or take living dogs for a walk.

Seriously, go outside.