I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times, but I've got a question:

Started by Franklin, October 16, 2018, 08:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin

Why is it pawns are incapable of doing specific tasks, instead of just taking mood & learning hits with tasks they don't like?

Mechanically I get it, but it never made sense to me perceptually as realistic behaviour. If I forced John to carry rocks, best believe he'll carry rocks, nobody's incapable of doing much, disabilities and phobias not withstanding. But he'll be miserable the whole time, and likely not learn anything because he hates it. Doesn't that system make more sense? Mood hits for doing things they don't like, and apathy towards learning them? Why was the decision to make people incapable of things the go-to?

dburgdorf

I can't address the issue of why things work the way they do in vanilla, but my Pawns are Capable! mod replaces incapabilities with "hated work types" which work essentially as you describe.  ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Franklin

That's a beautiful mod, and I'm a subscriber for sure. Wish I knew the decision behind the mechanics, though. :(

zgrssd

Quote from: Franklin on October 16, 2018, 08:13:15 PM
That's a beautiful mod, and I'm a subscriber for sure. Wish I knew the decision behind the mechanics, though. :(
It creates a fun story? It is a leftover from a previos attempt to limit Tasks? You can not prioritise for a hated job by accident? Hated worktypes is not enough of a problem to actually result in people not doing it?

I can think of a number of possible answers, and anything between all and none might apply.