Version 1.0 is content-complete

Started by Tynan, October 01, 2018, 10:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Yes I think most players won't switch to the latest unstable build and will just do the cutover once it gets officially released.
The ones that do switch to the unstable branch either play without mods or download the mods they want from github, nexusmods, dropbox or whatever as long as those are still in development.

Most modders I know will just upload the latest (1.0) version of their mod to steam once it actually gets officially released. At that point the majority of players who never used the unstable version anyway will automatically download the latest 1.0 compatible version and will happily continue on with their life (and new colony).
Players who want to go back to their old save will be able to revert back to the old version. A lot of modders I know (including myself) also upload a legacy version somewhere, just not on steam.

Releasing a 1.0 mod early on steam actually has a major downside: unless the mod isn't already well known most people won't ever see the mod anyway since it won't show up in the popular mod list because there aren't as many players who already use the unstable version.

Tynan

The reason has nothing to do with the unstable build.

It's so that when 1.0 becomes the default, everyone's games don't become irrevocably broken. We want it to be possible to continue a beta19 game on the beta19 branch.

If you update your mods in place the day 1.0 comes out, anyone finishing a Beta19 game is simply screwed. This will be thousands and thousands of people.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

BLACK_FR

Is there changelog somewhere? I'm especially interested in wealth, raid and difficulty balance in the final version (I hope you read my cry for changes that will make game challengeable for me and other good players). You said that 1.0 is content-complete so if there would be balance changes they would be now.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Canute

QuoteIf you update your mods in place the day 1.0 comes out, anyone finishing a Beta19 game is simply screwed. This will be thousands and thousands of people.
Like it happen since Rimworld is on steam.
Even when you mention this on the forum, i bet a majory of the steam modder don't even read here.

RemingtonRyder

I mentioned it over on the Steam forums and pointed back here. I'm fairly sure word will get around.

Tynan

I plan to spread the word wider as time goes on.

I like to do staged announcements.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

XeoNovaDan

Seeing as 1.0's content-complete, I suppose that means there isn't room for suggestions like being able to set default food policies (thanks for adding those by the way) for prisoners, colonists, animals and so on?

Kirby23590

Alright! Time to update some of my mods!

Good luck with your game's future, Tynan! I hope i could find and squash those bugs along with my brother if he doesn't stop playing shooter games with his friends.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

vzoxz0

5thHorseman

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 02, 2018, 08:28:15 AM
People actually play "modded" scenarios?
Presumably. Though I'm not sure where that came from as nobody mentioned scenarios up until now.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

So, should the Suggestions forum have a pinned post that redirects people to the Mods forum instead, now that the game's finished with new content?

Diana Winters

Quote from: notfood on October 02, 2018, 03:36:24 AM
Users who know how to switch to unstable are savy enough to get their mods from github. The rest will see their mods in red and will choose to play without them.

Not every mod has a github page. Most of the more advanced ones do, but not all of them do

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 02, 2018, 11:14:51 AM
Quote from: notfood on October 02, 2018, 03:36:24 AM
Users who know how to switch to unstable are savy enough to get their mods from github. The rest will see their mods in red and will choose to play without them.

Not every mod has a github page. Most of the more advanced ones do, but not all of them do

True, and I'd also argue that not even close to everyone who figured out how to change to a beta in Steam could figure out github. I'd possibly go so far as, more couldn't figure it out than could.

notfood

Will we see an improvement on the mod list? It's a lot to be desired.

Something like Fluffy's mod manager should be adopted officialy: https://github.com/FluffierThanThou/ModManager

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2018, 05:19:09 AM
The reason has nothing to do with the unstable build.

It's so that when 1.0 becomes the default, everyone's games don't become irrevocably broken. We want it to be possible to continue a beta19 game on the beta19 branch.

If you update your mods in place the day 1.0 comes out, anyone finishing a Beta19 game is simply screwed. This will be thousands and thousands of people.

Wait, so.. I could switch to 1.0 right now, and I could continue playing my unmodded b19 save with (virtually) no problems?