Version 1.0 is content-complete

Started by Tynan, October 01, 2018, 10:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: Brrainz on October 04, 2018, 05:21:21 PM
Hi everyone,

while you guys were busy discussing things back and forth, I decided to actually do something and create a third option: have your mods work with 0.19 and 1.0 at the same time.

I love the idea. Hoping to put in obsolete-marked (but working) versions of the old Translate methods into 1.0 so nobody needs to do this.

I'd sort of assumed that it wouldn't really be possible to make a complex mod work on both versions because I've had some experiences before where the slightest code change would cause mods to totally fail to link to the EXE. However what I'm seeing now is that things are a lot more robust than they used to be. So it might just work.

EDIT: Okay, ison has resurrected the old Translate() method. It doesn't seem to conflict with the new ones so I just pushed a build with it included. I'd love to hear that B19 mods just work on 1.0, if anyone wants to try theirs out. Obviously the most ideal outcome would be for the mods to just work!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Brrainz

Now we're making progress. Thanks Tynan!
I still want to know if we can have multiple version tags on steam. Not necessarily directly from RimWorlds Upload Mod function but more as a policy that allows us to have them so that Ramsis does not clean them away. There is an advanced release script for us modders with many mods that can easily provide multiple version tags on a steam release.

Tynan

I've certainly got no issue with anyone tagging their mod with all the versions it supports.

Only reason game doesn't allow it yet is because it never came up until the last few days.

RemingtonRyder

I can report that my own B19 mods loaded into 1.0 without any issues. :)

Roolo

My mods also load without errors! Great work guys!

QuoteThere is an advanced release script for us modders with many mods that can easily provide multiple version tags on a steam release.
@Brrainz. I'm unaware of this script. Could you specify? I'm likely not the only one unaware so it would be nice if we could just provide a list with the versions our mod supports in the about.xml, will you add that Tynan?

Tynan

I plan to do multi-version About.xml in future, but after content lock it's too late for new features. We have to be strict about this otherwise we'd never release (or have bugs on release).

Glad to hear compatibility has improved! I'd be interested if anyone could note a mod that is not compatible between builds. I used to think compatibility was very fragile but maybe it's actually reasonably robust after all.

Brrainz

Some kind of change log that mentions classes or at least some technical area overview of what differs between 0.19 and 1.0 would help to pinpoint the mods most affected. Maybe there is a way to decompile and diff both versions and post the result at a place where many mod authors can see it.

Fluffy (l2032)

re: fragility; renaming and moving methods is usually what breaks things, not so much the actual changes (unless obviously the whole logic of the system affected changes). I've got at least one mod that will probably break, but that's on me for using named reflection on compiler generated methods.

This is also why I mentioned moving the Translate overloads as an example of you breaking mod compatibility, glad to see that's been fixed. I'll try and get some 1.0 version up asap, been a bit busy lately.

Yoshida Keiji

The game keeps failing when heavy bleeding pawns choose to have some recreation while painting my rooms with their blood and both "Patient" and "Bed Rest" are set to priority 1, when a player would want them to go get patched up asap. If any of my characters get Infection, I just Dev Mode > Remove Hediff because of this.

Yoshida Keiji

Janie's Got A Gun. Her whole worlds come undone...

...and you can clearly see her fire a LMG...both sides of a wall...

From looking straight at the sun. What did her daddy do? What did he put you through? They said when Janie got arrested,  they found him underneath a train...

Daimonin

Chipping in to the discussion as a player, with a good number of mods in use, I currently have around 40 mods subscribed, I have had up to triple digits before (0.19 reduced my need for many mods).

Personally, I prefer mods to update properly, if I have to take a few weeks off to give modders a chance to update, that's fine. I've got other things to play while that happens, you know, fun things? Unlike going through my mods and checking every one for "is there an updated version? Unsubscribe -> Subscribe new" Which I have spent hours doing before, and it's not fun.

If an update breaks saves... well tough luck, that's what you get for a pre-release game. Stop whinging and go start a new colony.

Thank you to all the modders that update their steam workshop mods so I don't have to go digging for new versions. Though I have seen some that update their mods to the new version, AND put the old version up as a new mod. That seems the best method if you want to let people keep using the old version.

Albion

Quote from: Tynan on October 05, 2018, 10:23:41 AM
I plan to do multi-version About.xml in future, but after content lock it's too late for new features. We have to be strict about this otherwise we'd never release (or have bugs on release).

Glad to hear compatibility has improved! I'd be interested if anyone could note a mod that is not compatible between builds. I used to think compatibility was very fragile but maybe it's actually reasonably robust after all.

I haven't looked through my entire code yet but apart from the translation stuff my mod is actually incompatible between version because the HiveUtility class was renamed to HivesUtility (or the other way around, I'm not on my PC right now). This change breaks my assembly file since I'm using the class in my code.

erdrik

Quote from: Daimonin on October 06, 2018, 03:19:58 AM
Unlike going through my mods and checking every one for "is there an updated version? Unsubscribe -> Subscribe new" Which I have spent hours doing before, and it's not fun.

Since when is mod management suppose to be fun?
Its suppose to be effective, fun doesn't fall into the equation.

Quote from: Daimonin on October 06, 2018, 03:19:58 AM
If an update breaks saves... well tough luck, that's what you get for a pre-release game. Stop whinging and go start a new colony.

Thank you to all the modders that update their steam workshop mods so I don't have to go digging for new versions.

... The modders who didn't want to support older versions of their mods were the ones whining here.
I swear... The Dev expresses a desire to get help to support backwards compatibility in modded saves and he gets chewed out for it. The lack of respect is palpable.

Ramsis

Erdrik enough baiting or you're going to be pushing against rules I will have to warn and potentially punish you for. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion on the matter but starting fights over opinions is something I have 0 interest in tolerating. Everyone gets respect here, you know that in and out my friend.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

BLACK_FR

What about changelog? Is it available somwhere or will it be?
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me