[Mod Request] "Long" melee weapons

Started by Holvr, December 30, 2018, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holvr

This idea is inspired mostly by things like embasures, and mods "run and gun" + "simple sidearms".

Would it be possible to make melee weapons with range longer than 1 tile? I mostly mean a possible addition of long spears, pikes etc. that would allow the user to attack pawns that are up to 1 tile away, even if there's a non-total cover (so embasure is fine, but a full wall isn't) between them.

To balance things out for "run and gun" mod, those weapons should have a long cooldown to lessen the allure of just kiting an enemy to death, and for the purposes of "simple sidearms" all polearms should be heavy as hell, to prevent them being a must-have addition to every loadout.

If I were to ever dabble in modding, and try to make this mod myself, I have a question: On a technical level, how does weapon skill work? When creating a weapon, do you just choose between ranged or melee, and the governing skill is automatically added, or would it be possible to create a "ranged" weapon with range of 1 tile, and then force it to use the "melee" skill as opposed to "shotting"? (Although that would probably still have a myriad of issues like "Brawler" pawns crying that they hold a "ranged" weapon, shield belts interfering with it etc.)

Thank you in advance.

Canute

I made a similar request a few releases ago.
Some modder answer me, that it will not easy to impossible to extend the mellee range.

TomZ

Really interested in "long" melee weapons aswell, there might be something interesting in this regard in this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1549919146&searchtext=  "melee please" mod
The author use the pike as a ranged weapon with 3 tiles range, havn't try this yet, but probalby will do some testing

Holvr

Quote from: TomZ on December 31, 2018, 01:13:17 PM
The author use the pike as a ranged weapon with 3 tiles range, havn't try this yet, but probalby will do some testing
Ah, so generally what I was thinking. Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to check it out soon-ish, since I'm most interested in confirming two details:
- Whetner the weapon uses Melee or Shooting skill.
- Whetner or not the weapon is disabled by Shield Belts (or just regular shields that come from mods, and use the same system, but then again - a Pike is definitely a 2-handed weapon anyway, so oddly enough, that'd even work out great).