Who is epic excited for the game releasing today or tomorrow?

Started by thekillergreece, November 01, 2013, 05:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleZero

Quote from: Kingmal on November 02, 2013, 01:24:29 PM
We understand it's not his fault but that doesn't mean we aren't angry. I paid 30 dollars, mainly because I would be getting the game within a day (I backed quite late in the kickstarter). Why wouldn't I be at least a little frustrated that I'm not getting something I was told I would be getting right away?

Before you start saying things about how patience is a virtue and delayed gratification I would like to remind you a lot of people only paid for the game because they thought they would be getting it on November 1st. I'm willing to wait 2 weeks, but not if I'm told I'll be getting it now.

Well if you only paid for it because you thought you would get it immediately and not to support this great game, then im afraid i have nothing to say to you that will make it better.

And yes, you were told youre getting it now, it didnt happen. You can keep venting about it if it makes you feel better, or relax and play something else.

Gaunt

Well the Best Part of it is that these "Youtubers" do not  only get the Game for free and that they can play it now. No, the best Part is that they fucking spread the Pre Alpha all over fucking Torrent Sites! This is what getting me so fucking frustrated and Angry! We paid for the Game to support the Developer and those ******* get it free and easy from him and now all we can do to play it now would be getting our paid Game from some Illegal Torrent Sites...

Riddle me that Batman!

Thubin

I'm sorry all you guys are butthurt that you have to wait a couple weeks. I'm sad too that I have to wait longer than originally thought, but guess what? That's life. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it's true.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

Solemn

Goddammit, Kingmal.  You've been told, quite plainly, how it's going to be.  I was just as irked as you were, but throttling at a dead monkey's just going to end up getting you and everything around you splattered with whatever crap's left in the argument.

Let it go, and let it wait.  If you really feel that strongly about it, you have between now and when the two weeks is up to vote with your wallet and demand your money back from paypal.  If you're not going to do that, kindly sit down and muse with us a while 'til the game comes out.  Plastering three different threads in the span of 24 hours with your mildly frothing rage is not going to do anyone a lick of good. 

Ease up, mate.
QuoteYou people.

UNAgamer

Quote from: Gaunt on November 02, 2013, 01:53:29 PM
Well the Best Part of it is that these "Youtubers" do not  only get the Game for free and that they can play it now. No, the best Part is that they fucking spread the Pre Alpha all over fucking Torrent Sites! This is what getting me so fucking frustrated and Angry! We paid for the Game to support the Developer and those ******* get it free and easy from him and now all we can do to play it now would be getting our paid Game from some Illegal Torrent Sites...

Riddle me that Batman!

You forget that those tubers serve as PR for an operation that has a PR budget of nil. If not for said tuber videos, i wouldnt have known Rimworld exists, nor seen enough of it to decide that yup, this is worth my money.

It is all very unfortunate, but remember that he is coder, designer, business, pr, sysadmin etcetera all at the same time. So its a bit unfair to get too riled up about a misunderstanding in the communication with KS.

Kingmal

Quote from: Thubin on November 02, 2013, 02:38:33 PM
I'm sorry all you guys are butthurt that you have to wait a couple weeks. I'm sad too that I have to wait longer than originally thought, but guess what? That's life. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it's true.

I'm sorry, but I'm just furious that I was ripped off. I would not have bought the game if I knew I would only be getting it in 2 weeks. I had been looking for a new game and this looked perfect. Unfortunately, after I paid for it I was informed I would not be getting it for 2 weeks. I don't feel like this whole game is a scam, but the whole issue with kickstarter is the only thing I can think of right now. Nothing else is enjoyable because every minute or so I remember I spent 30 dollars on a game I'm not going to get anytime soon. I'm perfectly fine with waiting two weeks for something, but not if I was told I would get it as soon as the kickstarter ended.

It doesn't help that I see all these youtubers with a "following" on the forums. Not only do they get to play the game early, they get it for free. I find this appalling. I understand Tynan is busy with developing the game, and wasn't really able to inform us of the whole two weeks thing, but I'm still angry that people can get the game early, without paying. Maybe I'm not as patient as you are, but if you look at this from my perspective, I think you'll understand.
Proud member of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - First against the wall when the revolution comes!

Kingmal

Quote from: Solemn on November 02, 2013, 02:46:24 PM
Goddammit, Kingmal.  You've been told, quite plainly, how it's going to be.  I was just as irked as you were, but throttling at a dead monkey's just going to end up getting you and everything around you splattered with whatever crap's left in the argument.

Let it go, and let it wait.  If you really feel that strongly about it, you have between now and when the two weeks is up to vote with your wallet and demand your money back from paypal.  If you're not going to do that, kindly sit down and muse with us a while 'til the game comes out.  Plastering three different threads in the span of 24 hours with your mildly frothing rage is not going to do anyone a lick of good. 

Ease up, mate.

You know what? I'll consider that. Looks like Tynan may have just lost thirty dollars. My thirty dollars that I was spending on a fun game.

EDIT: No, you know what? I'll just wait the two weeks. Although I'm still pissed.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - First against the wall when the revolution comes!

UNAgamer

Kingmal, giving games free to the media is standard pr. (I worked for a gaming mag a decade ago btw, and i can tell you we didnt pay for our code, we also didt have to wait for release dates.)

Tubers with some viewers are exactly that: a PR channel that allows Tynan to raise awareness of the project without having to spend a bunch of cash on advertisements - money he probably doesnt have anyway. And remember that with how democratic the social media system is, the only thing stopping you from doing exactly the same thing and start getting free games is... yourself. You might end up noticing that it is a lot of work, though. :)

Kingmal

Quote from: UNAgamer on November 02, 2013, 02:57:30 PM
Kingmal, giving games free to the media is standard pr. (I worked for a gaming mag a decade ago btw, and i can tell you we didnt pay for our code, we also didt have to wait for release dates.)

Tubers with some viewers are exactly that: a PR channel that allows Tynan to raise awareness of the project without having to spend a bunch of cash on advertisements - money he probably doesnt have anyway. And remember that with how democratic the social media system is, the only thing stopping you from doing exactly the same thing and start getting free games is... yourself. You might end up noticing that it is a lot of work, though. :)

I guess so. It does seem like they aren't really popular youtubers though.

I was more angry that there's a functioning game but it's not being released. Looks like no one cares about that except me though, so I'll just wait the two weeks.

Solemn

Quote from: Kingmal on November 02, 2013, 02:50:29 PM
Maybe I'm not as patient as you are, but if you look at this from my perspective, I think you'll understand.

Last I checked, waiting to get something from Kickstarter is standard practice.  The fact he has a scheduled date for backers to receive their pre-Alpha copies is amazing.  You keep repeating the same thing, and you are told the same thing.  You are clearly offended, insulted, and feel wronged in some way, but the man has been honest, is putting money to good use, and clearly the product exists.  He is not out to make you, Kingmal, personally feel tweaked over this.

The fact that you are angry does not mean that the world is at fault.  A person can be offended by actions that are not offensive.

If you're that angry about it, go skim around and find a pirated copy somewhere.  Instead of arguing against a growing tide of people that aren't going to pat you on the back and cheer on your raging stiffy of uproarious anger, you can go wade through potential viruses on the pirate bay.  This will leave you with us content, potentially save you minutes to hours of time, or just make your computer implode upon itself.  This is not a fast food joint where if you scream loud and long enough the manager will come by and give you a free ice cream.

But in all seriousness, sucks that you're mad.  I wish we didn't have to wait, but things still look pretty chill if we wait a little while.  Relax, go open up a steam game you haven't touched in ages (if ever), and kill time.
QuoteYou people.

Kingmal

Quote from: Solemn on November 02, 2013, 03:08:20 PM
Maybe I'm not as patient as you are, but if you look at this from my perspective, I think you'll understand.

Last I checked, waiting to get something from Kickstarter is standard practice.  The fact he has a scheduled date for backers to receive their pre-Alpha copies is amazing.  You keep repeating the same thing, and you are told the same thing.  You are clearly offended, insulted, and feel wronged in some way, but the man has been honest, is putting money to good use, and clearly the product exists.  He is not out to make you, Kingmal, personally feel tweaked over this.

The fact that you are angry does not mean that the world is at fault.  A person can be offended by actions that are not offensive.

If you're that angry about it, go skim around and find a pirated copy somewhere.  Instead of arguing against a growing tide of people that aren't going to pat you on the back and cheer on your raging stiffy of uproarious anger, you can go wade through potential viruses on the pirate bay.  This will leave you with us content, potentially save you minutes to hours of time, or just make your computer implode upon itself.  This is not a fast food joint where if you scream loud and long enough the manager will come by and give you a free ice cream.

But in all seriousness, sucks that you're mad.  I wish we didn't have to wait, but things still look pretty chill if we wait a little while.  Relax, go open up a steam game you haven't touched in ages (if ever), and kill time.

Oh fuck you. I see your point that I'm not getting anywhere by complaining, but it seems like you're trying to compare me with a whiny kid. All I'm trying to do is say that I'm frustrated by the wait time that I was not informed of. I'm not trying to get anything for free, or early. I was just trying to get my point across - which is what forums are for, aren't they?

Thubin

I'm making the assumption (perhaps wrongly) that you are younger than I. Please don't take this as trying to flame you. I mean is sincerely when I say all our experiences make up our personality. Maybe this is a good opportunity to continue to develop your patience  ;)
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

nomadseifer

Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

UNAgamer

Quote from: Kingmal on November 02, 2013, 03:07:32 PMI guess so. It does seem like they aren't really popular youtubers though.

I was more angry that there's a functioning game but it's not being released. Looks like no one cares about that except me though, so I'll just wait the two weeks.

Well, who counts as "popular" is a good question. I think I read somewhere that the "limit" is that your LP's should regularly get a thousand views on YT. That might sound like it's not a lot, but consider how it does several things; I'll take my own case as an example:

Step one: I saw the Scott Manley video and was amazed.
Step two: Since that video wasn't very long, I then located a couple LP's on YT, including a couple that were comparatively unpopular (as in, they don't get near to the amount of views Scott Manley does).
Step three: After this, I've seen enough of the game to know that I want it, so I proceed to Kickstarter.

What happened there is that while those other two LPers I viewed aren't necessarily popular (and one was frustratingly inept at the game too, making me go all backsteat driver in my seat :P ), they completed the picture to the point where I was no longer just aware of the game's existance - I had reached the decision to buy in. Since said LPers code isn't exactly an expense to Tynan, and the effort of vetting is probably minute, each of those LPers with just a thousand views or slightly over that will probably be a financial "win" even if they only make one in a thousand of their viewers buy in. And lowering the bar on how "big" the LPer would have to be is a way to ensure that there will be as many LPs out there as possible for those interested to view, which incidentally ensures that you - the prospective customer - gets as much of a chance as possible of deciding whether the game really is for you or not, compared to having - for example - "only" 2 or 3 guys with a brief 10-minute look each.

Regarding a "functioning game" though, as someone that has a couple years of testing under my belt, I'll point out that there usually is a "functioning" game a couple years before anyone outside gets their mitts on it. Indeed, note that the 30 dollar tier is even a pre-alpha, indicating that this isn't just not feature-complete (where alpha usually denotes code where features are still absent, and beta is feature-complete but buggy, etc, though each developer tend to tune these terms a bit). This means it is actually in a state where most traditional development houses might not even have it greenlighted for full development yet; and if they have the very existance of the project would typically be under NDA.

In the context of a Kickstarter project, you are actually getting this WAY earlier after money left your account than is typical. I've supported another project a month or so ago, and I expect to get my game sometime next year - POSSIBLY during spring. So yes, there's an unfortunate delay in this coming out, which was not expected (and I understand it; who would have thought that KS couldn't get data that's already sitting right there in their database sent faster than two weeks? That's very surprising, but ah well.), but compared to a typical KS project you're still getting your mitts on this at least a couple months quicker than is normal, and compared to a traditional game development cycle you're getting your mitts on it before the dev/publisher would normally even admit to them working on it. So it's not all that bad, is it?

Solemn

Quote from: Kingmal on November 02, 2013, 03:41:10 PM

-it seems like you're trying to compare me with a whiny kid-

Quote from: Kingmal on November 02, 2013, 03:41:10 PM
Oh fuck you.

Whelp. :I

You may get a point across.  You did, and you were answered in multiple threads.  At this point, you're trying to smear your point across in any fashion that you possibly can.

You are being silly.  Stop it.
QuoteYou people.