[MOD] (Alpha 7) Machine Gun Nests

Started by Psyckosama, July 08, 2014, 09:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyckosama

Machine Gun Nests

Description:

Are you sick of the all but useless improvised turrets? Do you wish you could deploy something maybe a bit more capable? Do you ever find yourself saying "Wouldn't it be nice if I could just step back to the lessons of the First World War and just stick a machine gun on a turret and have one of my colonists point it at the other guy?"

If so, this is your mod. It adds several manned Machine Gun Nests to the game. The basic nest, is a L-15 Light Machine Gun, placed in an armored fixed mount. From there you can research Miniguns, and the more advanced Mechanoid weapons.

Features:
  • Adds manned direct fire turrets to the Game.
Mod Team:
How to use:

They are manned turrets. You put them somewhere you want a turret. When you want something shot, you draft someone and order them to use them.

Download:
See Attachment

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Change Log:
1.0 - First Version
1.1 - Tweaked the ROF on the MG nest. You can now research Miniguns, Heavy Charge Blasters, and Inferno Cannons for additional long range murder-fun
1.2 - Modified the ROF to match the carried versions of the weapons. Updated to Alpha 7

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

P_anders

sounds not uninstresing. what will happend, if i put a colonist in a mashine gun nest, who is uncapable to violent? a Colonist, who does not get any fighting skill points?

Psyckosama

Quote from: P_anders on July 08, 2014, 09:11:55 AM
sounds not uninstresing. what will happend, if i put a colonist in a mashine gun nest, who is uncapable to violent? a Colonist, who does not get any fighting skill points?

Don't have any in my colony so I wouldn't know. Why not test it out? As is it's basically a beefed up Mortar turret with a Light MG instead of an artillery piece.

Not the most technically impressive mod I will admit, but hot damn if it a isn't useful one...

It was created in response to a massive tribal hoard assault I simply couldn't beat. They'd overrun me and slaughter my folks no matter what I did. Half my colony ended up in the hospital and I lost most of the nests, but with these I was able to drive them back.

Zulus man, like fighting Zulus...

CptStirling

I downloaded, but the file was empty! You might need to fix that.

P_anders

lol .... you have put an empy package in anouther package ^^ ... you need to fix that, then i will test the mashine gun nest ^^

Psyckosama

Psyckosama

P_anders

not tested it yet. i will tell you if i had a opporturnity to test it

J-NAZ

Works like a charm.  :)

Just defended myself against a wave of mechanoids with two of these in-placed, dismantled 3 scythers and a Centipede.
In space no one can hear you jizz...

-Robbaz

BetaSpectre

Too lazy to test out the mod myself.

Do the guns explode?
Do enemies target them first?
What's the damage? same as the Light MG?
How much HP do the guns have?
Do these guns affect player wealth? More importantly do they make enemies spawn in larger numbers/more frequently.

Cool mod, but I'm on the rails as to how useful this mod is. Might try it out TBH.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Psyckosama

Quote from: J-NAZ on July 08, 2014, 09:45:22 PM
Works like a charm.  :)

Just defended myself against a wave of mechanoids with two of these in-placed, dismantled 3 scythers and a Centipede.

Great. Question, would you say its balanced? As in effective but not an ubergun?

Want to make sure it's good enough to be something people want but not so good as to take away the challenge of a direct assault.

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 08, 2014, 10:56:00 PM
Too lazy to test out the mod myself.

:p

QuoteDo the guns explode?

Yes. But with the force of a standard turret not a Mortar turret.

QuoteDo enemies target them first?

Not always, but they do seem to attract a good deal of attention. That said, long range and high firepower tends to discourage people from getting too close.

QuoteWhat's the damage? same as the Light MG?

I literally used the LMG as the gun. statistically it points directly to the LMG for its weapon stats in the XML files..

QuoteHow much HP do the guns have?

QuoteDo these guns affect player wealth? More importantly do they make enemies spawn in larger numbers/more frequently.

Probably as much as an mortar turret considering I simply copy-pasted the stat entry then toyed around with the HP and weapons loadout.

If you can tell me how to change the wealth value I'll look at it more closely.

QuoteCool mod, but I'm on the rails as to how useful this mod is. Might try it out TBH.

It's one of those mods that should really be base game. I made it because I literally went. "You know, I wish we could do this but we can't".

So now we can.

BetaSpectre

Thanks for the reply, DL'd the mod and will use it soon. I'm loving this community xD.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

Girlinhat

Personally, I'd say that the turret also needs an accuracy buff (since it's mounted) and to not explode (you're using human power, not computer power).

I'd also suggest versions using the minigun and the M24 - perhaps a unique version of each with higher accuracy and longer range.  These are the guns I end up going for the most, but the R4 is also very decent...

Psyckosama

Quote from: Girlinhat on July 09, 2014, 12:27:14 PM
Personally, I'd say that the turret also needs an accuracy buff (since it's mounted) and to not explode (you're using human power, not computer power).

I thought that comes from the fact that it actually will hit the target... :p

Not sure how to do it without rewriting the gun, plus I'd like to keep some level of balance. A solid high ROF machine gun is good, but you don't want it to be TOO accurate.

QuoteI'd also suggest versions using the minigun and the M24 - perhaps a unique version of each with higher accuracy and longer range.  These are the guns I end up going for the most, but the R4 is also very decent...

Minigun is a given since I want to eventually add every mechanoid weapon. In fact I tried it and it didn't work due to the fact that the barrel is facing the wrong direction and it seems to come out vastly oversized.

The M24 on the otherhand... who turret mounts a bolt action Sniper Rifle?  :o

BetaSpectre

Actually WW1 WW2 and in modern days people make turret mounts for snipers. It further increases accuracy, but that said most snipers these days have their own portable mount/preinstalled

The Browning MK2 is actually used as a sniper rifle often with the same accuracy when single shooting

That said at this rate why not make this mod mount all the guns and increase their accuracy if you do :3.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO