please change "rimworld" to "jim's world"

Started by Swarx, October 04, 2018, 01:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swarx

hello there i think that "rimworld" should be changed to "jim's world" as there are many people in the world named "jim" and the word "rim" has sexual connotations that thus make this game inappropriate for children. the fact that it is not "jim's world" is very discriminatory towards people that are named jim or james.

thx

vzoxz0

Is this some half-assed attempt at trolling?

Swarx

more like a quarter

this is serious

Ramsis

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Swarx

lowdegger

My friends who don't play Rimworld call it World of Rimming and assume it's some kind of erotic theme park management game.

dburgdorf

I played and modded the game for months without even once thinking of the name's possible sexual connotations.  I just immediately accepted that a rimworld was a world on the outer rim of explored space; it made intrinsic sense, and I never worried about it beyond that.  It wasn't until I happened upon a reference to the "RimJobWorld" mod that it dawned on me that there was a possible NSFW connotation to the name. 

Does that make me cluelessly naive? ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

CthulhuTactical

Nah you are just normal and not some sexually deficient incel.

lowdegger

Quote from: CthulhuTactical on October 04, 2018, 04:36:37 PM
Nah you are just normal and not some sexually deficient incel.

I don't think incels are either giving or receiving many rimmings. A priori, they are not.

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

I see your point, but "Jim's World" doesn't really give off the vibe I think they're going for.

You're on the edge of known space, so maybe instead how about EDGING?

Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

lowdegger

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 04, 2018, 07:01:42 PM
I see your point, but "Jim's World" doesn't really give off the vibe I think they're going for.

You're on the edge of known space, so maybe instead how about EDGING?

World of Edging?

b0rsuk

A honest analogy would be "Edge World", and then making a fuss about it obviously referring to edging.

vzoxz0

I say we just call it Star Craft 3 and crowd-fund the money needed for legal fees.

lancar

Quote from: b0rsuk on October 05, 2018, 12:40:40 AM
A honest analogy would be "Edge World", and then making a fuss about it obviously referring to edging.
It does have map edges, so I think this description is 100% true.

Edgy World