I'm confused (steam, mods, updates, b19>1.0, etc,)

Started by Crow_T, October 05, 2018, 04:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow_T

I used to play Rimworld from the Ludeon dl, manually installing mods into the folder. Since I wanted to do unstable testing I started playing on Steam, then I started to add mods which was really convenient through the workshop. The question is: what is the best way to proceed from b19 to 1.0? I actually don't care about losing saves, but keeping the mod list intact would be nice. I'm guessing I may have to wait until 1.0 is official?
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

5thHorseman

Quote from: Crow_T on October 05, 2018, 04:40:05 PM
I used to play Rimworld from the Ludeon dl, manually installing mods into the folder. Since I wanted to do unstable testing I started playing on Steam, then I started to add mods which was really convenient through the workshop. The question is: what is the best way to proceed from b19 to 1.0? I actually don't care about losing saves, but keeping the mod list intact would be nice. I'm guessing I may have to wait until 1.0 is official?

The absolute best course of action is to wait for 1.0 to actually release, and then wait another few weeks for all the mod problems to sort out. There will be many, no matter what happens. Some very smart people are doing some very cool things but there is never a situation where a mod-breaking upgrade goes smoothly. Ever.

Regarding 1.0 - b19 - 1.0 yes, it's confusing. When they were done with B18 they decided the next build would be 1.0. They released a "1.0 unstable" that really should have just been B19. They realized this too late, and decided to blanket change "1.0 unstable" to "b19". Now, 1.0 stable is coming out. Except there are unstable builds of it.

So any mod labeled for 0.19 or B19 or whatever 19 will likely work with the current most stable build, which is the most recent build of B19. Anything else... you really won't know without checking. Any mod not updated in the past couple weeks listed as "1.0" is likely for the old 1.0. Anything put out or updated this week is likely for the new 1.0.

I personally am staying on b19 until all the mods I consider necessary are confirmed working on the actual 1.0 release. I'm staying out of the "new 1.0 unstable" because I'm really enjoying my current YouTube run and am not going to futz with breaking and then fixing it (likely by rolling back to B19).
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.