[WIP] [1.2] Persistent RimWorlds

Started by FilUnderscore, October 07, 2018, 09:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilUnderscore

Persistent RimWorlds.

A mod that allows multiple colonies on the same rimworld (planet).

Features:

• Start a new colony using a world from a previous save.
  • Trade with previous colonies throughout the world. (May include trading with the actual inventories of those colonies)*
  • Visit old maps from previous abandoned colonies. (Dice roll - structures will be degraded by time OR pirates will have settled in and surprise you)*
  • Become enemies/allies with other colonies.*
  • Convert an existing save game to a persistent world.
  • Switching colonies in-game without having to load the world again through a Colonies tab.
  • Revert to a normal save game with any colony should you decide to quit playing a persistent world.*
* Feature not currently implemented, but is planned.

Downloads / Testing:

Contributions:

Sheepdawgbro

Im excited for this mod, I made a forum account just to comment.

I like the UI you have. If you do implement factions for player colonies, you could probably have a faction selection screen while making a new colony- new faction or one of the ones present already (player made, or perhaps even the world generated ones, if the technical side of it plays nice)

In addition to showing my support, I had a question. It appears that the date and time is saved on the persistent world level in the video you posted. So playing a season on colony A, then a season on colony B will bring the world forward two quadrums for both A and B.

I like it, but it may cause some problems with nearly completed crops dying before harvest on the balance level. My other concern was that it may cause issues with birthdays and aging on the technical level, but I dont know how the game handles those in the first place.

FilUnderscore

Quote from: Sheepdawgbro on October 08, 2018, 10:11:53 PM
Im excited for this mod, I made a forum account just to comment.

I like the UI you have. If you do implement factions for player colonies, you could probably have a faction selection screen while making a new colony- new faction or one of the ones present already (player made, or perhaps even the world generated ones, if the technical side of it plays nice)

In addition to showing my support, I had a question. It appears that the date and time is saved on the persistent world level in the video you posted. So playing a season on colony A, then a season on colony B will bring the world forward two quadrums for both A and B.

I like it, but it may cause some problems with nearly completed crops dying before harvest on the balance level. My other concern was that it may cause issues with birthdays and aging on the technical level, but I dont know how the game handles those in the first place.

Great question, I haven't really looked into the effects of time progression in other colonies yet - however it will have a role in a number of things, I don't want it to cause too much micromanagement if there's no need for it. Perhaps mod settings will let those who want some things affected that others don't want be possible. The mod is still in a pretty early stage and its taken a considerable amount of time to implement the base of it, however once that's out of the way, the process should go smoothly.

FilUnderscore

Just an update, the mod has been updated to unstable 1.0 and nearly nothing has broken for the most part. Dynamic map loading has a basic implementation at the moment, but I hope to utilize more of it soon - the reason for dynamic map loading is that it will allow an infinite amount of colonies throughout the world without slowing down loading times or taking up memory with unneeded data.

raydarken

Brilliant idea. Holy cow, I'm really excited for this!  :D :D Thank you for your work on this mod, I will be following your progress closely!

FilUnderscore

So up until recently, I've been spending time constantly going over more efficient ways to load worlds and exploit RimWorld's game saving and loading system by using Harmony patches that are rarely used by other mods - meaning less compatibility issues until a mod arises that overrides the same parts of the loading system I override. I have stabilized the dynamic map loading system and will be posting a video soon to showcase this feature, however at the moment there are a few bugs involving caravans with wrong colonies and sometimes objects on the planet view not switching to the correct type. These will be fixed within the next few days and then another update video will be posted to show the progress that has been made.

Ruisuki

very ambitious project i hope it succeeds

jpinard

lehniers

author. I have a question. So.. Will it be possible to be a same faction with other colonies?

FilUnderscore

Quote from: lehniers on October 28, 2018, 01:01:53 AM
author. I have a question. So.. Will it be possible to be a same faction with other colonies?
The system doesn't affect your other settlements (houses/villages on world map by your faction that form when "Settle" is clicked) that you have in for example, a single colony game. Colonies in this mod are completely unrelated and are different factions that you can visit (visit their actual maps and see buildings), given that you are allies with that colony and not enemies.

Ruisuki

could persistent characters be a thing? If you created 8 of your friends through something like prepare carefully but dont want to start off as an overpowered colony, maybe pick 4 characters to crashland with and 4 others that have a chance of encountering/part of an existing faction?

lehniers

I see. then.. will it be possible to share pawns except capturing or selling?
And if they are different faction, will the system which decreases relationships when settlements are built nearby other factions work between the colonies?

lehniers

please post any link that we can donate to you. I can do nothing but appreciate your extrarordinary work ;D

lehniers

still, can you offer an option for other colonies to be regarded as same factions?

lehniers

Author. Can you tell us when do you expect your project will be released to public?