Cocoa Trees Should Not Die From Cold

Started by vzoxz0, October 09, 2018, 02:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzoxz0

At least from "sane" cold like -10 C to -15 C. I don't know of any tree that would actually die from a brief period of cold like this, and this tree has been genetically modified in the first place.

I invested an incredible amount of time planting these stupid goddamned trees in an all year growing zone, and now they all die to a single coldsnap bringing temperatures down to -10 C.

I would expect this from normal crops, but not trees grown past 50%, that's just absurd.

Every single time I plant these trees, I end up regretting them and hating the feature being put into the game in the first place. It's just a totally useless thing unless you're in the tropics.

5thHorseman

I have not planted a single tree of any type since B19 hit. I basically though they were too much of a time sink before and then they got like super nerfed. Like if the Death Star could shoot nerf.

Either you live somewhere that has trees naturally or you do without.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Serenity

I'd like for them to behave like the orchards in Banished. After planting they take a while to grow during which they don't produce fruit. But then they regularly grow fruit. Harvesting does not destroy the tree. But the only way to get rid of blight is to cut it down.

That would also be useful for mods that introduce fruit trees

lancar

Step 1, make a room but don't place the door to keep it from becoming auto-roofed.
Step 2, make a growzone inside and plant Cocoa trees
Step 3, Pause the game, zone the whole room to be roofed
Step 4, while keeping it paused, roof-forbid spots over each planted tree
Step 5, place the door and build a couple of radiators to keep the room warm(ish) even in winter.

Tadaa! =)

dragonalumni

Lancar, it might be as cheap on electricity to go one step further and build the sunlight or w/e.
I use this method to grow devil strand in winter, it works especially well if your find a spot of
rich soil but any soil will do.

Vxsote

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 09, 2018, 07:01:21 AM
I have not planted a single tree of any type since B19 hit. I basically though they were too much of a time sink before and then they got like super nerfed. Like if the Death Star could shoot nerf.

Either you live somewhere that has trees naturally or you do without.
My B19/1.0 colony is on tundra, and there are nearly zero natural trees growing.  Because of the short growing season (20 days), I have large indoor grow zones with sunlamps.  Typical winter temps are -30°C, and if the heat goes out due to a solar flare, the indoor temps will drop enough that everything dies.  Unless I build fires, that is.  So, I plant trees so that I have wood to burn.

bobucles

Getting -10C is pretty much guaranteed on ANY map due to how cold snaps work.
Cocoa trees would benefit from having separate "Fruit" and "tree" statistics. When the weather gets cold, the fruit dies but the tree lives.