First Person RimWorld; an odd idea but a fun one!

Started by Ramsis, July 08, 2014, 04:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Just figured I'd ask around on what people thought about a first person view for RimWorld. I know Tynan would never do it personally but for those of us that are Dungeon Keeper lovers or the moddb pokemon stuff that went through for a while there you know how exciting it is to get up close and personal.

Two ways this could work... either just the ability to zoom in so close that you more or less get a colonist's eye view of everything or the ability to draft and control a colonist visually. Two ways, both functional and possibly doable if the right level of modding is capable. Hell, we could probably even get it so you can actually utilize the colonist if you "possess" them. Mine, research, haul, etc. Visuals could stay the same just would probably do the ol' rotating picture thing that many games have done before.

Thoughts?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Headshotkill

I'm sorry but I think the chances of this happening are less than 0,0000000001%.
The good news however is that there still is a 0,0000000001% chance of it happening though! :D

harpo99999

mods can do a lot of things, BUT they can NOT change the game engine, and I think it is a game engine caused block

BetaSpectre

10-20 years from now it could happen if the game stops getting new features and becomes as popular as minecraft, or you could devote years to make it happen now.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

a89a89

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 09, 2014, 06:24:39 AM
10-20 years from now it could happen if the game stops getting new features and becomes as popular as minecraft, or you could devote years to make it happen now.
10-20 years?! Minecraft is less then 6 years old and it has loads of game changing mods. My opinion is if Rimworld gets a big fan base then some will probably make mind blowing mods like thoses in minecraft.

milon

Chances of this happening are slim, but if it's going to, it most certainly will not be a RimWorld mod.  It will be a whole separate application.

If it's well written, it will use a RimWorld save file and let you choose which colonist to become.  If it's REALLY well written it will be multiplayer and allow one player for each colonist, and would closely follow the real RimWorld game in terms of events, colonist needs, etc.  That actually sounds a lot like a mod for Unreal/Crysis/Half-Life/whatever, rather than a brand new creation.

Ludov

Personally I think it would be more likely to see something akin to a "Adventurer mode" akin to Dwarf Fortress', keeping the same topdown view, than to add a 3D first person mode in an engine that never supported any 3D graphics in the first place.

Actually, that's kinda what I'd suggested too not long after it was announced in the daily changelog that a true worldgen is coming:

ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4610.0

StorymasterQ

Quote from: milon on July 09, 2014, 02:03:43 PM
Chances of this happening are slim, but if it's going to, it most certainly will not be a RimWorld mod.  It will be a whole separate application.

If it's well written, it will use a RimWorld save file and let you choose which colonist to become.  If it's REALLY well written it will be multiplayer and allow one player for each colonist, and would closely follow the real RimWorld game in terms of events, colonist needs, etc.  That actually sounds a lot like a mod for Unreal/Crysis/Half-Life/whatever, rather than a brand new creation.

That sounds like what Streets of Sim City does with a SimCity 2000 save file. Is this where you're going with that?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Ludov on July 09, 2014, 06:04:39 PM
Personally I think it would be more likely to see something akin to a "Adventurer mode" akin to Dwarf Fortress', keeping the same topdown view, than to add a 3D first person mode in an engine that never supported any 3D graphics in the first place.

Actually, that's kinda what I'd suggested too not long after it was announced in the daily changelog that a true worldgen is coming:

ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4610.0

This is far more likely and I think I would prefer it.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

milon

@StorymasterQ, I think so.  Never actually played Streets of Sim City, but I've heard of it.

I would also far rather play an "Adventurer mode" mod of RW than a 3D FPS version. That sounds much more appealing to me. :)

TheBill

Boop, i want it, someone please make it happen

Would be great if you could use first person to play a colony on multiplayer

Limdood

On the list of things I'd like to see in Rimworld...this doesn't even register.

I suppose, now that it's been mentioned, it might be kinda a nifty, novelty thing...i guess...but that's about where my level of enthusiasm is for it.

Once you consider the time and effort it would take to implement vs. the interest I have in the feature, my vote would be a resounding no.

I'm aware that features aren't mutually exclusive, and working on a given feature doesn't mean that work isn't ALSO being done on another feature, but this particular feature doesn't interest me enough to think that any significant amount of time at all would be well spent.

togfox

How is this suggestion different to the dozens of first-person survival games that are currently on the market?

The reason I play Rimworld is because it is a survival game that is NOT first person.