Colony Motto: Guarantee a trait for the entire colony!

Started by Call me Arty, October 12, 2018, 04:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Real talk, I love mountains. With the new tunneler perk, I'm a bit upset that I can't exactly get it onto every colonist. Additionally, it is not uncommon that I see fellow players who want colonists that are fall psychopathic, or wish their colonists weren't such assholes to each other. So, I think a solution is in order.

Colony Mottos!

Firstly, I do not see all traits as being equal in this instance. Beyond the fact that it'd probably be a tad over-powered, I'm not sure if you could get "thick skin, dense flesh, and durable bones" (Tough trait, which I still dislike) by social osmosis, Super Immune, Quick Sleeper, and Too Smart are under this "born with it" banner too. I also don't think that the spectrum traits (Hard Worker/Lazy, Careful Shooter/Trigger Happy, Pretty/Ugly) would be appropriate either, partly for the same reason as the previous group of traits, partly because they're meant to be in a ying-yang with their negative counterparts that no one would want.

Now, how/when we get them can be debated. Personally, I think there are two (two and a half?) good ways to possibly spread an ideal among your whole colony.

Establish it early: After a certain population, you are asked to come-up with a name for your faction, and for your home base. The thing is, you could've gotten lucky; you could've had a perfect hand of luck and rolled three cannibals. So, you name your colony "The Bloody Murderdaggers", or something similar. If you proceed to get nothing but kind, violent-incapable pawns after that, it's a bit of a misnomer. Having the ability to choose a motto alongside your names could mean great things thematically, too. Even if you land in the same biome in the same scenario over two runs, starting with a dedicated colony-wide trait could change the structure and goals of a colony a lot (starting Nudist could free up a lot of crop space that would've been occupied by cotton).

Totems or Monuments: More RNG based, but you could say that you're getting a strong reward for it. Purchased from exotic traders or found in ancient dangers, you could get totems dedicated to a trait (potentially even as a result of legendary/masterwork sculptures?). The Totem of Knowledge could be tied to Quick Learner, or the Totem of The Mother could spread the Kind trait.

For the sake of logic and balance, I think that gaining traits should not be immediate. It'd probably take a while to convince someone that eating human flesh really isn't that morally dubious. The 'expensive' solution would be a resistance to the trait in the same way that prisoners are resistant to being recruited. After enough time socializing and making friends with the other colonists, they'd pick it up to fit in. Otherwise, maybe just developing after the week would be fine, so there's still a bit of a struggle to not have a normal pawn go crazy from "Butchered Humanlike" thoughts (or dealing with ascetic bedrooms, and some other repercussions of traits I'm not realizing right now).

To reiterate on what I mentioned earlier, this could do a lot with a little. There's so much room for these neat, themed colonies that just isn't being used. Masochistic cults, Cyborg villages, A group of monks (ascetics) who would prefer to put resources into research and technology over comfort,  and a lot more. It's a feature that's been requested for a while, and could really bring light to different playstyles than the same make-a-bunker-with-smokeleaf-and-killboxes-purge-the-pyros that we essentially have to play with, because nothing else is optimum.

As a final note: This isn't too hard to imagine. If we humans have such a varied history of peer pressure and cults that have succeeded despite sounding completely batshit or inadvisable, it's not impossible for a whole colony to have a motto like this.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

5thHorseman

I've never used it but when making a custom scenario there's an option to force a trait, and I think you can force it on everybody at the start or actually on everybody.

Like I said I've never used it so am not sure it would work like you'd want, but maybe give it a try and see.

CANNIBAL PLANET.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Call me Arty

I am aware of the Force Trait modifier, I'm just not a big fan, as it affects the entire universe when you use it (tribals that have been there, and anybody from any corner of the galaxy that ended up on a ship that made it to the Rimworld, pawns who have been frozen for potentially hundreds of years). A trait like Cannibal wouldn't have too much of an effect on gameplay, though it definitely would thematically. I'm against it for the same reason I wouldn't play with the Squishables mod.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

vzoxz0

I think there should be an option for "everyone who joins colony has x trait" in the scenario editor, it makes sense and I don't think it'd be too much work to add.

Though obviously as 1.0 is content-locked it's not going to be any time soon.

Ogre

I would like refugees selecting their new homes based on compatibility of their own social traits and that of the pawns at the new home.
The cannibal tribe is probably the most obvious example of a tribe, where a non-cannibal would likely not try to seek shelter. You could be pretty sure to get accepted - but more likely as instead of for dinner...

Wanderers and refugees should have a pretty low probability of trying to join a cannibal tribe if they are not cannibals themselves. Also, recruiting non-matching prisoners should be a lot harder. The debuffs resulting from living in a non-matching society after joining are already applied by the game.

The universe's population's traits should not change based on what traits your colony's pawns have. Only the probability of pawns trying to randomly join or flee towards your village should be adjusted based on the traits of your colonies pawns.
Ideally, the game would base that probabilities on the actual living conditions and behaviour of the colony instead of just directly comparing the traits of its pawns. If the colonists would like to be cannibals does not really matter if they actually never eat human flesh - or are forced to feast on the dead to survive.
But that obviously is harder to implement in the general case, and therefore not something i would expect to happen.

So there is no need to have enforced traits in the colony as adjusting who is likely to travel to a colony would be a more immersive way to reach the same goal.
The naive approach of directly comparing a village's pawns' relevant traits to that of potential friendly visitors to decide whether they try to join the village or seek help elsewhere should be easy to implement.
At the insane frequency at wich events happen currently, it also should be no problem if a player has to depend on refugees alone for getting new colonists (in case of playing a cannibal tribe surrounded by non-cannibal factions).

Call me Arty

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 13, 2018, 09:25:33 AM
I think there should be an option for "everyone who joins colony has x trait" in the scenario editor, it makes sense and I don't think it'd be too much work to add.

Not going to lie, that is a far cheaper, simpler, and more logical solution to my original idea. I just like the flavor of having a Cannibal/Night Owl/Quick Learning being reflected to some extent in the game.

zgrssd

Hmm, tricky regardless how you go about it:
- If you force the trait onto everyone, that affects the entire world
- if you force it only on original paws, it becomes useless with recruitment
- if you force it only on non-prisioner-recruit colonsits it is the same, but slightly later
- if you force spawn it onto everyone upon joining, you might end up with invalid trait combinations. Not to mention the question why they suddenly developed that trait (possibly even loosing a opposite trait)

Ideally of course the Pawn System should allow the gaining and loosing of traits based on actions/status. Maybe even a barebones "Psychology" System that allows targeted removal/gaining of traits.

Call me Arty

I thought that a prisoner-resistance style "conversion" might be neat. A pawn with a varied resistance to developing the trait, and having a negative mood buff the whole time you're trying to convert them. I would probably end-up working logically, too.
"Become a cyborg transhumanist with us."
"No thanks, sounds creepy."
"Have a nice room with a fine bed, fancy furniture and statues, and fine meals."
"I'll think about it."

5thHorseman

Quote from: Call me Arty on October 15, 2018, 10:41:12 AM
I thought that a prisoner-resistance style "conversion" might be neat. A pawn with a varied resistance to developing the trait, and having a negative mood buff the whole time you're trying to convert them. I would probably end-up working logically, too.
Haha I like.
"Become a cyborg transhumanist with us."
"No thanks, sounds creepy."
"Have a nice room with a fine bed, fancy furniture and statues, and fine meals."
"Do you get cable?"
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Call me Arty