[1.0] Spotted - 26.11.2018

Started by TGPArcher, October 12, 2018, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGPArcher

Spotted

Description:
Have you ever wondered how do raiders/caravans/animals manage to reach your colony unnoticed?
Well this mod fixes that by adding a chance for your colonists to spot them valuable time before they reach your colony.
But sometimes they are more sneaky, to counter this new buildings have been added to the game which increase the chance to spot any movement outside your colonies.
Make sure your colonist know everything which moves around, don't get caught unprepared.

Download:
[1.0]
GitHub
[B19]
GitHub

More details:

• Buildings are unlocked by researching the Spotted Research Tree
  • With every research every movement spotted has more details.
  • Every colonist increases discovery chance with 0.5%
  • Spotting capabilities of buildings can be seen on their stats
  • Discovery power and range is cumulative so building more structures will increase your chance
  • Discovery chance is adjusted with difficulty, higher difficulties requiring more spotting buildings or colonists

License:
Do what you want, but give the author credit.

Screenshots:

Jan2607

That's interesting. Do raids really move over the map to attack your base?

Madman666

Very interesting. Can you give us some more information?
- Like if you have 5 scanners, that means each and every raid will be "delayed"?
- Is 4 hours the maximum delay, a random number, or we can fiddle with it in the mod options?
- Do you have any plans for adding something to track other events (like fallouts, storms, eclipses) like forecasting?

TGPArcher

Quote from: Jan2607 on October 12, 2018, 07:44:37 PM
That's interesting. Do raids really move over the map to attack your base?

Sadly, no. This mod only delays the raid and tells you the location if the discovery chance is high enough, that was the only way I could explain a "spotting" mechanic. Tho I am not sure, but I think there are some caravans on the world map which move across the world like player does, but they do not launch attacks.

Quote from: Madman666 on October 12, 2018, 08:18:01 PM
Very interesting. Can you give us some more information?
- Like if you have 5 scanners, that means each and every raid will be "delayed"?
- Is 4 hours the maximum delay, a random number, or we can fiddle with it in the mod options?
- Do you have any plans for adding something to track other events (like fallouts, storms, eclipses) like forecasting?

Firstly sorry for the lack of information, I am not really good at presenting things.
1) Yeah, with 5 scanners and with difficulty lower and equal to Medium(Rough) every raid should be delayed, with higher difficulties the chance is lower. Also for bigger colonies, like the ones with 100 colonists, there is a high chance there won't be needed too much scanners.
2) For now there are no mod options available, the maximum delay is about 6h, I thought it is enough for now
3) Never thought of tracking other events cause most of them are not an urgent threat, but can be done, it would be nice with enough tech to forecast a fallout and prepare for the worst. Thank you for the suggestion, I will add it to my list.

Madman666

Actually 6 hours are not that much. Better than nothing of course, at least you will be able to put on a helmet and gather eveyone, but i was more like a day or two, for more through preparation. Like you get a message that enemies approach from the west for example, so you have the time to gear everyone up, shuffle turrets around, go scatter some traps near map's borders...

So it would be nice to have second tier of scanners eating more power, costing more resources, but spotting raids a day or two away.

Still thats very nice mod you've done :) I assume motion scanner sprite is a placeholder?

TGPArcher

Quote from: Madman666 on October 13, 2018, 01:35:31 AM
Actually 6 hours are not that much. Better than nothing of course, at least you will be able to put on a helmet and gather eveyone, but i was more like a day or two, for more through preparation. Like you get a message that enemies approach from the west for example, so you have the time to gear everyone up, shuffle turrets around, go scatter some traps near map's borders...

So it would be nice to have second tier of scanners eating more power, costing more resources, but spotting raids a day or two away.

Still thats very nice mod you've done :) I assume motion scanner sprite is a placeholder?

About the sprite, I don't have the patience or the skill to draw an original one so I had to change one of game's sprites and change it a bit :)
I plan to balance the delay, to depend more on the discovery chance you have, maybe increase the chance of discovery for the scanners and when the total chance will pass 100% the delay will increase to more than a day

Madman666

You can also make the delay scale with raid's size. Makes sense that a larger force will take longer to reach you and also will be way more visible from afar.

Canute

And what's about dropbox raids ?
When you get a 6h-1day (like suggested) warning for normal raids, dropbox move alot faster and shouldn't give any warning or at last not more then 1h.

Other mod's like shield or Anti-air turrets allready can prevent them.

TGPArcher

Quote from: Madman666 on October 13, 2018, 05:56:53 AM
You can also make the delay scale with raid's size. Makes sense that a larger force will take longer to reach you and also will be way more visible from afar.

Noted

Quote from: Canute on October 13, 2018, 06:20:54 AM
And what's about dropbox raids ?
When you get a 6h-1day (like suggested) warning for normal raids, dropbox move alot faster and shouldn't give any warning or at last not more then 1h.

Other mod's like shield or Anti-air turrets allready can prevent them.

Have not thought of that, the best solution I see here is the to add config options as fast as possible. And this mod should not conflict with mods like Anti-air turrets, after the delay passes the raid will start and the turrets will do their job.

Madman666

Drop pods are just cheezy as all hell way of Rimworld to keep reking you even if you're a god at playing it. Just guaranteed damage, if not to people - then to furniture.

Since those pods fly high, they actually should be fairly easy to spot with radars from much further away, so they can have same delays really. At least pinpointing their drop zone could make them less cheesy, cause you can prepare surprises and evacuate people\animals\furniture.

Canute

So you suggest another research project for Radar scanner (update) ? :-)

Madman666

Yeah, why not? Though what would be even nicer is a navigation jammer thingy, that d be able to redirect those pods from dropping right on your head to droppin either scattered all over the map or close to the map border. That d be a really amazing late game counter to them.

TGPArcher

Quote from: Madman666 on October 13, 2018, 06:32:01 AM
Drop pods are just cheezy as all hell way of Rimworld to keep reking you even if you're a god at playing it. Just guaranteed damage, if not to people - then to furniture.

Since those pods fly high, they actually should be fairly easy to spot with radars from much further away, so they can have same delays really. At least pinpointing their drop zone could make them less cheesy, cause you can prepare surprises and evacuate people\animals\furniture.

This mod already pinpoints attack location so no need to worry about that.

Madman666

Yeah, you mentioned it. Its really damn awesome.

TGPArcher

Updated to 1.0

• Changed mod name from Motion Scanner to Spotted
  • New sprite for Motion Scanner
  • Added new building Watchtower and Satellite Controller
  • Added mod settings
  • Balanced a bit spotting mechanic based on difficulty