[1.0] Spotted - 26.11.2018

Started by TGPArcher, October 12, 2018, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGPArcher

Quote from: aimxoo0o on October 29, 2018, 12:15:33 PM
Can you maybe add a "random time option"?
So you would just know that a raid will arrive between 6-10 hours or something like this. Just to keep a little suprise.

Also it would be really cool if raids maybe come sooner than expected if you have not the best technology.

Really cool mod. I will try to use it later. :)

A very good suggestion, noted.

kosh401

Cool, I will add this to my bazillion mods.

I really liked Madman666's idea about "scrambling" the landing/targeting systems of those nasty drop pod raids. I'm not sure if the mod can change the raid coordinates, but even if it's a 100% random scattering of the drop zone to somewhere else on the map I would take it - even if it puts them right into the mounting >:) 

TGPArcher

Quote from: kosh401 on October 29, 2018, 06:31:28 PM

I really liked Madman666's idea about "scrambling" the landing/targeting systems of those nasty drop pod raids. I'm not sure if the mod can change the raid coordinates, but even if it's a 100% random scattering of the drop zone to somewhere else on the map I would take it - even if it puts them right into the mounting >:)

Changing the landing zone of drop pods can be done but I feel its out of this mod's scope.
If I'll have time I might try to make this feature into a new mod, or maybe someone else will do it.

Ruisuki

Quote from: TGPArcher on October 27, 2018, 12:26:33 PM
Quote from: Ruisuki on October 26, 2018, 11:25:35 PM
Oh snap whats the difference between this and the earlier b19 you linked? Closer to 1.0 balancing? Ill give this a go tomorrow!

The difference is that this version has the same content as the one for [1.0]
Enjoy and if something is not working right please report it here ;)
mod is A1 bro. For my suggestion I would add advanced scouting gives you the direction of the map they are entering from. If thats possible.

kosh401

Quote from: TGPArcher on October 29, 2018, 06:41:57 PM
Quote from: kosh401 on October 29, 2018, 06:31:28 PM

Changing the landing zone of drop pods can be done but I feel its out of this mod's scope.
If I'll have time I might try to make this feature into a new mod, or maybe someone else will do it.

Totally understandable considering this mod is more geared towards "spotting" but colour me subscribed if you do make a drop pod scrambler mod. Goddamn do those things annoy the shit out of me when they drop right drop in through my roof! I have one faction doing it constantly in my current game, to the point where I'm about ready to edit them entirely out of the defs file :/

Maybe a similar method/mod could be applied to infestations? Some sort of scrambler or AOE "sonar" type of structure that would limit those bastards from spawning right into a base?

Anyway great mod as it is, cheers!

Jdalt40

Hey TGPArcher, has it ever crossed your mind for there to be a "Raid Spotted" timer alert on the side? Like the other alerts except telling you exactly when they would arrive, since the letter is good, but it doesn't tell you the time remaining till they arrive, only the time they would arrive when they first were detected.

TKabutz

Since the motion scanner scans for motion, how about expanding this mod to other events.

It would add a lot of immersion to the mod, when you are notified of an approaching caravan for example. However, instead of clearly distinguishing what it is, the scanners may only be able to determine the rough shape and amount of approaching pawns. (ability to distinguish between a human, a mechanoid and an animal - how many of each etc. - but not if they are friendly or aggressive)

Basically be able to detect anything that walks, creeps or crawls in the neighboring tiles.
This would include things such as:
- Manhunter packs
- Caravans
- Wild man wanders in
- Visitors
- Herd migration
- Thrumbo passing through
etc.
(Not quite sure how a caravan notification could help the player, but it would make more sense if the scanners wouldn't be able to identify between friend and foe)

By adding this vagueness of what is approaching, the player wouldn't know if they should prepare for a raid or dismiss it as a caravan. Thus, there will still be an element of surprise to the events.

The ability to distinguish what exactly is approaching, could be linked to a similar mechanism as is used for the approaching time. More buildings, scanners, pawns, more advanced scanners etc. could increase the ability to distinguish what is approaching.

The messages could be similar to something like this:
- "Your colonists have detected approaching creatures. The data suggests they will arrive in ?h"
- "Your motion scanners have detected movement (insert time)hrs away. The shapes suggests that a (insert size of group; large, small etc.) group animals is approaching."
- "One of your colonists has spotted a (small) group of humans, which is heading towards the colony (from the south). It seems as if they will arrive within the next 3hrs. You may want to prepare defenses to ensure some safety, just in case the approaching party is hostile."
The more different styles of warning messages there are, the better. Varying the feedback and the accuracy of it could also be beneficial. There are many different parameters that you could use to change things up. (some have already been suggested)

Hope this gives you some ideas for expanding this mod.

TGPArcher

Quote from: Jdalt40 on October 31, 2018, 05:43:44 AM
Hey TGPArcher, has it ever crossed your mind for there to be a "Raid Spotted" timer alert on the side? Like the other alerts except telling you exactly when they would arrive, since the letter is good, but it doesn't tell you the time remaining till they arrive, only the time they would arrive when they first were detected.

A great idea, i have to note it for the next update. Thanks ;)

Quote from: TKabutz on October 31, 2018, 07:26:44 AM
Since the motion scanner scans for motion, how about expanding this mod to other events.

It would add a lot of immersion to the mod, when you are notified of an approaching caravan for example. However, instead of clearly distinguishing what it is, the scanners may only be able to determine the rough shape and amount of approaching pawns. (ability to distinguish between a human, a mechanoid and an animal - how many of each etc. - but not if they are friendly or aggressive)

Basically be able to detect anything that walks, creeps or crawls in the neighboring tiles.
This would include things such as:
- Manhunter packs
- Caravans
- Wild man wanders in
- Visitors
- Herd migration
- Thrumbo passing through
etc.
(Not quite sure how a caravan notification could help the player, but it would make more sense if the scanners wouldn't be able to identify between friend and foe)

By adding this vagueness of what is approaching, the player wouldn't know if they should prepare for a raid or dismiss it as a caravan. Thus, there will still be an element of surprise to the events.

The ability to distinguish what exactly is approaching, could be linked to a similar mechanism as is used for the approaching time. More buildings, scanners, pawns, more advanced scanners etc. could increase the ability to distinguish what is approaching.

The messages could be similar to something like this:
- "Your colonists have detected approaching creatures. The data suggests they will arrive in ?h"
- "Your motion scanners have detected movement (insert time)hrs away. The shapes suggests that a (insert size of group; large, small etc.) group animals is approaching."
- "One of your colonists has spotted a (small) group of humans, which is heading towards the colony (from the south). It seems as if they will arrive within the next 3hrs. You may want to prepare defenses to ensure some safety, just in case the approaching party is hostile."
The more different styles of warning messages there are, the better. Varying the feedback and the accuracy of it could also be beneficial. There are many different parameters that you could use to change things up. (some have already been suggested)

Hope this gives you some ideas for expanding this mod.

To be able to identify all moving things was already on my mind, tho great idea with different event messages for immersion and the fact that scanners should not be able to differentiate between friends and foe till later stages. Definitely adding this to my notes, thanks.

TGPArcher

Updated

• Added a new research tree for spotting
  • Arrival time now can be displayed as a range(ex: 2h - 5h) or fixed (ex: 3.5h), you can select the desired option from settings (suggested by aimxoo0o)
  • Added alert on the side to show incoming events which were spotted (suggested by Jdalt40)
  • Now everything(almost) which moves can be detected (suggested by TKabutz)
  • Now type of movement can't be discovered till you research Motion Scanner, then it all depends on colony's spotting power (suggested by TKabutz)
  • Added a bigger variety of messages to the spotting letter, some of them will appear in specific conditions (suggested by TKabutz)

If you encounter any issue feel free to report it here, I will do all I can to help.
Also if you have any suggestion I would be glad to hear them.
Thank you all.

AwesomeMcAwesome

After updating the mod, I can't set mounts at the caravan interface screen (the one in the world map) for some reason

TGPArcher

Quote from: AwesomeMcAwesome on November 22, 2018, 10:14:35 AM
After updating the mod, I can't set mounts at the caravan interface screen (the one in the world map) for some reason

Are your referring to mounts from GiddyUp? It is a bit strange to have problems with caravans, this mod is not even close to modifying caravan logic.

AwesomeMcAwesome

Quote from: TGPArcher on November 22, 2018, 05:46:16 PM

Are your referring to mounts from GiddyUp? It is a bit strange to have problems with caravans, this mod is not even close to modifying caravan logic.

I know, it's weird, but disabling this mod allows me to assign mounts again. Maybe the mod order bugs it?

Hjkma

Hi, I also have problems with mods from Giddy up and Spotted. After I added the Spotted mod and restarted the game I saw a red message in the debug log that Hugslib could not patch something of the Giddy up mods. After I removed Spotted from the list, this message disappeared. Unfortunately, I did not copying this message, so I cannot attach it here. What was there with the caravans I did not check, since I just turned off and turned on the mods to find out what the problem was.

Asero

Double checked. Same as above. Running this mod together with GiddyUp causes a Hugslib patching error.

HugsLib ERR Failed to apply Harmony patches for HugsLib.GiddyUpCaravan. Exception was: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException:
Could not find method 'Boolean TryExecuteWorker_Patch[MonoType](System.MonoType, Boolean, RimWorld.IncidentParms ByRef)' in type 'Spotted.IncidentWorker_TryExecuteWorker_Patch'
  at System.Reflection.MemberInfoSerializationHolder.GetRealObject (StreamingContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectRecord.LoadData (System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager manager, ISurrogateSelector selector, StreamingContext context)

XeoNovaDan

Hey, any plans for this to support Fluffy's Mod Manager? It'd be convenient to easily keep up-to-date!