[1.0] Rainbeau's Mods (Backstories, Fishing, Romance, Terraforming, and More!)

Started by dburgdorf, October 13, 2018, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Pawns Are Capable! has been updated:

- PAC should now once again work just fine in conjunction with Fluffy's "Work Tab" mod.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

JT

Quote from: dburgdorf on December 08, 2018, 06:17:42 AM
I don't think it's possible, period. It has nothing to do with the modding system, but with the game's AI. To have an AI faction settle on your map and build a base from scratch, over time, would essentially require that the AI be able to actually *play* the game, the code for which simply doesn't exist.

I think we all have to admit a Rimworld Millénaire mod would be pretty freaking awesome, though. =)

But yeah, something like that would literally be a single mod author's sole project.  The Kinniken fellow who does MillĂ©naire has made no other mods for Minecraft that I'm aware of, and it took over a year to get the initial "I'll just build my house over top of your house" version out there in the early Minecraft betas.

dburgdorf

Quote from: GileIG on December 09, 2018, 01:55:20 PMHow to get Pile of dirt by digging?

Dirt is obtained by removing it from tiles where it's not needed. (For example, transforming a soil tile to a rough gravel tile will provide you with three piles of dirt.)

If you're not familiar with how the mod works, I *strongly* encourage you to read the "Getting Started with 'Fertile Fields'" document. At the very least, you should read the "Using the Mod" section of the mod's description, which addresses this specific question.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

GileIG

Very thanx.
Perhaps it would be clearer if the buttons primarily described the resulting resource, but not a change in the type of soil :)
P.S. Also note marshy soil => rough gravel for 13 works it's too great for tropical rainforest.

dburgdorf

Quote from: GileIG on December 09, 2018, 02:55:50 PMPerhaps it would be clearer if the buttons primarily described the resulting resource, but not a change in the type of soil :)

If the buttons "primarily described" the byproducts of the transformations instead of the transformations themselves, you'd end up with a lot of buttons uselessly labeled with names like "two piles of dirt."

The buttons are labeled with the names of the relevant transformations because enabling your pawns to transform terrain into other terrain is their primary function. The costs and byproducts of the transformations, however, are all listed in the info window, so the information is readily available.

QuoteP.S. Also note marshy soil => rough gravel for 13 works it's too great for tropical rainforest.

Terraforming is, by design, work intensive. It's not supposed to be something that's quick and easy, and I won't be altering the mod to make it so.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Madman666

After playing with those new refertilizing mechanics from Fertile Fields, i must say its more fun than just having eternally fertile plowed soil with real high grow rate. But what i d really like for options to have rather different set of features, to be precise - it would be much more cool to have actually an option to set number of harvests, after which a soil 100% degrades down a tier, instead of a percentage chance per one tile harvested. That'd make fields deteriorate all at once, requiring periodic refertilizing of them all, instead of a constant grind you have now, refertilizing some tiles that degraded, while others stay plowed. Can you consider adding that? Unless that is too troublesome to implement or contradicts your view of the mod of course.

whyareuhere

I'm trying to raid a tribal raider base but the game is stuck on loading the map for the base. Is this a bug or is my computer just too bad at loading bases?

Canute

whyareuask,
depend when you allready got a long loading time when Rimworld startup, it can be that the map loading on an assult could take pretty lonk, similar when a large raid appear at your base.
But i don't think you got problems with raids, so it is maybe an error.
You should enable developer mode at the options.
Then you can open the log window with the top left icon ingame.
When you see one or more red lines (errors) there is a problem at last.
If you use hugslib you should see the "Share logs" button, use that and post the link so people can take a look at it.

Canute

dburgdorf,
the idea with the plant scraps are great.
You have something you can made raw compost out of it and/or something for the animals to feed.
But i have problem with other mod, special the ones to allow plant scrap's as food source.
I rather need to edit the mod, and even then it not allways work (my bad knowledge).

So my idea are, why not replace the plant scrap with hay.
Then you don't need extra patches for the kibble recipes, and work's with animal food policy mods too.

vovik

im going to integrate Fishing, Ore processing, Explosives mod,Garden tools and terraforming
So, what im going to do:
1. allow use of tnt for fisihing, mining at mining nodes. Feature.
2. use fertilizer, crushed coal (made from coal), and spawkweed to make tnt charges - coal, nitrogen and sulfur somthing is used to make powder(i dont remember actual ingridient names, tho sparkweed seems to generate something like sulfur and product is high-reactive). Recipe change.
3. add stations that allow terraforming ground in 3x3 area around them(require fertilizer to make garen and fertile soil; lots of work and fertilizer to terraform marshsy type of soil, mud, gravel, sand; cannot terraform stone - its a bit unrealistic, also there are planter boxes and hydroponics for that, also one cannot simply place soil on a rock and grow something there - it does not work that way). Because metagamng that counts for terrain cost and cost of terrain that counts in amount of work and ingridients. Balance change.
4. fishing node will allow for bill giving - its annoying that i cannot control how much fish i catch and when to stop, also will solve "carry fish after catch" as recipes have that option with more customization + integration with recipe changing mods. Major annoyance removal.
5. will turn most fish meat types into simple fish meat - its really annoying to have lots of different fish meat lying around taking space and since lobsters, crayfishes and snail can be used raw into food production and take time and effort for butchering these yielding less products - this is better option. Minor annoyance removal.
6. add fish`n`chips recipe - its annoying to butcher lots of little fishes that pile up and give not much of yield, just cook it with potatoes instead. Major annoyance removal.
7. will remove most terraforming recipes for terrain - really, developers made it that terran that has price is counted in raid generation, will stop that and use custom terrain transformation via code instead! Major annoyance removal. Game disbalance removal.
8. will remove most upgrades - game is simple as it is and bringing more complexity with home-brewn mechanics that work mostly in your mod is a bit strange. I understand that this is more realistic but its like a paid dlc, wanna get full version? pay! - how about full version from the start? Major annoyance removal.
9. will remove pile of dirt and lots of other things like different fish meat - its just a resource that again gets into home-brewn mechanic - vanilla pots dont need dirt, assuming that time that pawn goes around to take some dirt or sand for crafting is accounted into crafting time - its a simplification that game allows for. Minor annoyance removal.
10. will give all things and minified buildings their respective place in stockpile tree, if not done already

This is what i am going to do, i post this to ask for your opinion, permission i will do it anyway and open for suggestions.

Sorry for any inconviniences while reading.
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

dburgdorf

I honestly have no idea why you felt the need to post an, "I'm going to make a new mod vaguely inspired by your own mods," comment, but you're welcome to create whatever you like.

Quote from: vovik on January 05, 2019, 09:08:38 AM4. fishing node will allow for bill giving....

I have no idea what, if anything, you've actually done yet, but you do realize that this change alone will require pretty much a complete rewrite of the code in "Fishing," right?

Quote from: vovik on January 05, 2019, 09:08:38 AM7. will remove most terraforming recipes for terrain.... 8. will remove most upgrades.... 9. will remove pile of dirt....

In other words, you don't want to use "Fertile Fields." That's fine. So... why not just, you know, not use it? I'm not sure I see the need for a mod that removes the functionality of another mod that no one has to use in the first place.

And on a side note, of course plant pots don't require piles of dirt. The piles of dirt are *huge*, as would be expected when your pawns are using them to terraform large patches of land. Conceptually, the amount of dirt in one of the mod's "piles of dirt" could probably fill hundreds of plant pots.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

vovik

Quote from: dburgdorf on January 05, 2019, 07:10:22 PM
I honestly have no idea why you felt the need to post an, "I'm going to make a new mod vaguely inspired by your own mods," comment, but you're welcome to create whatever you like.
Just for safety.

I have no idea what, if anything, you've actually done yet, but you do realize that this change alone will require pretty much a complete rewrite of the code in "Fishing," right?
Sure.

In other words, you don't want to use "Fertile Fields." That's fine. So... why not just, you know, not use it? I'm not sure I see the need for a mod that removes the functionality of another mod that no one has to use in the first place.
Not remove - change it to remove all hidden "terrain cost" for structure calculation (ever mentioned structure cost on game start?)

And on a side note, of course plant pots don't require piles of dirt. The piles of dirt are *huge*, as would be expected when your pawns are using them to terraform large patches of land. Conceptually, the amount of dirt in one of the mod's "piles of dirt" could probably fill hundreds of plant pots.
Vanilla dirt is something to be inheretly carried around by pawns in cost of constructing time or sowing (when making plant pots for example), so its not even logical to add strange ples of dirt(that are produced indefinitely of thin air and cannot be disposed of by other means than dropping of caravan) as it can be included in worktime, also it can be sand (just because there is no dirt around or this plant needs sand, not dirt) or some other type of dirt - poisonous one, why bothering with this? Just include in worktime and forget.
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

dburgdorf

Quote from: vovik on January 05, 2019, 08:45:02 PMNot remove - change it to remove all hidden "terrain cost" for structure calculation.... Vanilla dirt is something to be inheretly carried around by pawns... so its not even logical to add strange ples of dirt(that are produced indefinitely of thin air and cannot be disposed of by other means than dropping of caravan)....

First, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "hidden" costs, as the cost and yield of the various terrain transformations in "Fertile Fields" are clearly defined.

Second, it's nonsensical to talk about "vanilla dirt," as there's no such thing. Vanilla RimWorld doesn't allow for terraforming, and therefore, doesn't include dirt or any other material only used in terraforming. Your argument basically boils down to, "I like the things that the mod lets me do, but I don't like that it adds new materials that have to be used in doing those things."

Third, as regards your comment about dirt "produced indefinitely out of thin air," I have to ask.... Have you ever actually *used* "Fertile Fields," or did you just come here and start posting semi-coherent complaints about it without even bothering to see how it works? Because it absolutely does *not* allow you to produce dirt "out of thin air." Terraforming in the mod is a zero-sum game. The idea that to use dirt or other materials to improve a tile, you have to first remove those materials from a different tile, has been a foundational concept of the mod since its inception two years ago.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?