Small tweak to "Offer Safety" raids to add a bit of authenticity and veriety

Started by AnActualDuck, October 13, 2018, 05:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnActualDuck

Make it so there is a very small chance that the pursuing party will abandon the pursuit if you choose to accept sheltering the fleeing party. After a few moments when they would normally appear and the raid begins it would prompt "X decided it wasn't worth it and let prisoner go." Even if it was a 1% chance it'd make for a nice little bit of variety to the event.

While the above is my main suggestion, I've also thought of a few ways to make the events more interesting and add variety beyond that. Adding some depth to the fleeing party would be interesting. Colonists often have relations to other people in the world that are not a part of the colony, the fleeing party could, instead of help me, say, "John, my love, I've fled to be with you!" or "Papa! I found you, please help me!" Often late game with a full colony I find it easy to ignore people but if relations were more common in the event i'd have that pesky conscience weighing on me.

Another thought is to allow the fleeing party to be from a neutral or even allied faction, and you could choose to lose relationship points to take the person in, or gain relationship points by denying them. This dynamic would alter how you choose to respond to these messages. As it stands now early game I always offer safety as it's easy to deal with those raids and it bolsters my colony, while late game i always ignore. However, building relations and not gaining more enemies early game is important which could cause a change between how easy it is too offer safety early on. Furthermore, if offering safety just gave negative points to relation, the pursuing party could opt to say "Fine, we'll let it go this time..." -30 points, which would make it more worthwhile to accept late game. This could easily change up how players respond to this event.

Sorry about a wall of text, I don't like to make posts like this cause I know it's hard to read through but I hope those of you that do like it and/or have good feedback.

5thHorseman

Haha those events should also always give you a totally garbage pawn so you don't "at least get a couple prisoners who may be okay" from it.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

vzoxz0

I already get garbage pawns even when I do fight off an army. That seems unnecessarily cruel.

AileTheAlien

I think when the quarry (flee-er) is from allied factions, the bonus / penalty should be reversed - you're either giving their in-danger colonist a safe shelter, or you're leaving them to a murderous band of pirates or a rival colony. For neutral quarries, maybe there would be no bonus or penalty?

I also like your flat-penalty, from the chaser band, but it could probably be based on the faction type. Pirates would never let you get away with sheltering their quarry, hostile tribes would sometimes let you get away with it, and hostile unions would let you get away with it more often (the most beurocratic / only fight when necessary).

AnActualDuck

Quote from: AileTheAlien on October 13, 2018, 10:18:54 PM
I think when the quarry (flee-er) is from allied factions, the bonus / penalty should be reversed - you're either giving their in-danger colonist a safe shelter, or you're leaving them to a murderous band of pirates or a rival colony. For neutral quarries, maybe there would be no bonus or penalty?

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense, assuming the person isn't recruited to your team. Maybe a bonus for accepting them, and then another bonus if they then leave the map safely. Originally I had it in mind that you'd be obligated to recruit them and recruiting from friendly factions should upset them. Really it could be broken down like "X is fleeing, Y is chasing. Offering safety will result in X faction gaining +10 and Y faction -10" Something like that.