Overhead mining and infestations [Solved]

Started by dr33mz33, October 13, 2018, 10:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr33mz33

So if In understand it correctly, if you mine but 1 overhead mountain tile you can start an infestation. You have to be very careful with this if you are trying to mine some resources around your base, usually the first 3 tiles are Ok. But still, it would be nice not to have to worry about this. What do you guys think?

5thHorseman

Quote from: dr33mz33 on October 13, 2018, 10:15:30 PM
So if In understand it correctly, if you mine but 1 overhead mountain tile you can start an infestation. You have to be very careful with this if you are trying to mine some resources around your base, usually the first 3 tiles are Ok. But still, it would be nice not to have to worry about this. What do you guys think?

You seem to have a couple misunderstandings about infestations.

Infestations do not happen when you mine in mountains. They happen when mined out mountains are left around. Technically it COULD happen right as you mine out a mountain piece, but you're probably more likely to have an ally faction go hostile because meteorites keep hitting their caravans in your territory. :D

I say this because I had a meteorite hit a caravan once, and have never, ever had an infestation from a freshly mined mountain.

But anyway, you also have a very easy way to find out if you're digging in a mountain. In the lower right of the screen are icons. One of them looks like a house. Clicking that will show you all things with roofs. Light green is normal, safe roofs. Those you build and those from hills. Dark green is mountains. So long as you have *zero* dark green tiles on the map, you will have *zero* infestations.

You can mine them safely, just once done back fill them with your cheapest, most readily available resource. I personally almost always use wood.

Also one last thing. Infestations are scary, sure. But you can survive them without TOO much trouble so long as everything else is going okay in your colony.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Canute

And btw. Infestions arn't much worser then normal Raids.
Except you have a mountain base and they spawn at your rooms.

Ruisuki

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 13, 2018, 10:51:34 PM

Infestations do not happen when you mine in mountains. They happen when mined out mountains are left around. Technically it COULD happen right as you mine out a mountain piece, but you're probably more likely to have an ally faction go hostile because meteorites keep hitting their caravans in your territory. :D

I say this because I had a meteorite hit a caravan once, and have never, ever had an infestation from a freshly mined mountain.

But anyway, you also have a very easy way to find out if you're digging in a mountain. In the lower right of the screen are icons. One of them looks like a house. Clicking that will show you all things with roofs. Light green is normal, safe roofs. Those you build and those from hills. Dark green is mountains. So long as you have *zero* dark green tiles on the map, you will have *zero* infestations.

You can mine them safely, just once done back fill them with your cheapest, most readily available resource. I personally almost always use wood.

Also one last thing. Infestations are scary, sure. But you can survive them without TOO much trouble so long as everything else is going okay in your colony.
question: how would i make my base invulnerable to infestation with this pic. https://image.ibb.co/nwPbby/NF-Valley.png

I want to say that I hate having walls that dont match and i prefer natural wall(smoothed) over material walls inside caves. Thats why i dislike bugs, how am I supposed to have them symmetrical if they eat the natural walls....a steel wall connected to what remains of the cave room triggers my ocd a bit. So far they only spawned in the jail lower right room, and i brought back the walls with devmode. But given my dislike of this how do I prevent their spawning while at the same time retaining the natural walls? For the jail for example i intend to always keep its surrounding 2-3 walls thick to prevent prisoners attacking them to escape instead of going down the long and narrow hallway.

Canute

So far i know/understood, basicly you can't.
Most old tricks like small room, light at room, floors don't help with the latest releases, since Tynan don't want that mountain bases are too easy.
You could made your base cold, so they don't spawn. I think more then -10°C (unsure), then they don't spawn like at the permawinter biomes, or they spawn at warmer places.

If you don't like infestions, disable them, i think there is a mod that can do that.
Or you can edit the safegame and add it manualy. (Create first a new colony with that disabled event, so you know how that looks at the safegamefile).
But if you like insects, add Sparkling World, then ship chunks with hives can drop from the sky.

Hexthreat

Hey, as far as I know, there are several things that will make infestation more likely in that area - check infestation chance tool with dev mode. You can not prevent infestations else than what have been already said, but what you can do is to make one room, separated from main base, deep inside the mountain "Infestation lure" so that when it hits it will be more likely to hit that designated room, as for what should be there (I belive no light and you have to make it warm). Not a cheap way but you can use is just some heaters connected to [Vanometric power cell] or [Chemfuel powered generator], first option is a bit harder since you have to get power cell (easiest way is to check for caravan request), second one is easier but you have to maintain generator working. Anyway both ways are effective and I belive it is not such great expense for not having to deal with insect shenanigans. Btw. clever use of spawning blocks in dev tools - good thinking. Hope making "lure room" will solve your issue :) And in spare time I'll try to make small mod for you so you can build smoothed walls ;)

dr33mz33

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 13, 2018, 10:51:34 PM

Thank you, that is very helpful indeed. I suspectedI was mistaken but I didn't find any source that would explain it thoroughfully so there you go. Solved.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Ruisuki on October 14, 2018, 08:04:10 AM
question: how would i make my base invulnerable to infestation with this pic. https://image.ibb.co/nwPbby/NF-Valley.png

I assume the question is rhetorical but just for anybody else who happens to be curious: You either don't, or you abandon that base and build outside next time.

There is NO way to stop an infestation from being possible while mountain-roofed tiles are open. Except disabling infestations of course.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.