Auto-Equip

Started by BasileusMaximos, October 14, 2018, 12:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

I play on icesheets most of the time and its very frustrating how my guys never take off their parka and tuque when indoors. Its rude to eat with your hat on and I'd rather they wear their work clothing (cook outfit, scientist outfit, etc) when inside.

I'd would be great if pawns would carry their clothing around with them and automatically change to whatever outfit is most appropriate given the temperature. Even better would be if you could assign them a locker they store all their clothing in and they changed depending on the temperature they'll encounter. But that would probably be a nightmare to get working...

zgrssd

That used to be (and somewhat still is) a balance problem.

Armors have various tradeoffs, like reduced movement speed. Prior to Beta 19, clothing like the Parka had that too. More detailed gear mods might include stuff like working-speed penalties for warm mittens or sight penalties for helmets. Even just the lack of thermal isolation on armor is itself a tradeoff.
The moment pawns just auto-unequip that gear, all those tradeoffs become meaningless. They would have to be replaced with something like a semi-realistic load System. Wich has all kinds of issues.

If this was purely graphical, that is a semi-simple matter. There is a ingame setting to hide helmets on the Colonist bar. And the Author of the WH40k mod found a way to hide headgear everywhere: He gave them a transparent/empty icon.

And there is a small chance this might get added. The "time to don clothing" is pretty much a requirement to balance auto re-equip.

Jibbles

The trade offs wouldn't become meaningless, tho they're minuscule IMO.  If anything, it seems more meaningless to have all these types of clothing and a policy for outfits when it's not practical to switch between them in the appropriate setting.  Once I can afford the armor, that's all they'll be wearing as long as some is available.

So why make it so annoying to deal with? Personally, Not gonna blame the reasons on "balance."

Pawns should automatically switch into armor when drafted. Time to equip/dress apparel should get thrown out, no idea why that was implemented on top of it all. Hell, a locker for outfits or any sort of improvement would be fine at this point.  It's just pretty clear that something's off when people post about this topic all the time. They see a policy.. They see all the outfits they can do, yet storing and equipping them causes confusion and annoyances.

BasileusMaximos

Quote from: Jibbles on October 15, 2018, 01:05:59 AM
The trade offs wouldn't become meaningless, tho they're minuscule IMO.  If anything, it seems more meaningless to have all these types of clothing and a policy for outfits when it's not practical to switch between them in the appropriate setting.  Once I can afford the armor, that's all they'll be wearing as long as some is available.

So why make it so annoying to deal with? Personally, Not gonna blame the reasons on "balance."

Pawns should automatically switch into armor when drafted. Time to equip/dress apparel should get thrown out, no idea why that was implemented on top of it all. Hell, a locker for outfits or any sort of improvement would be fine at this point.  It's just pretty clear that something's off when people post about this topic all the time. They see a policy.. They see all the outfits they can do, yet storing and equipping them causes confusion and annoyances.

I actually like the idea of setting a uniform for pawns to change into automatically when they are drafted. I generally don't like them wearing armor all the time because it wears it down and looks silly unless they are dedicated solider-dudes. If you could get pawns to automatically "suit up" when you draft them and then have them put their armor back when they are undrafted that would be great.

zgrssd

Quote from: BasileusMaximos on October 17, 2018, 11:13:08 PM
Quote from: Jibbles on October 15, 2018, 01:05:59 AM

I actually like the idea of setting a uniform for pawns to change into automatically when they are drafted. I generally don't like them wearing armor all the time because it wears it down and looks silly unless they are dedicated solider-dudes. If you could get pawns to automatically "suit up" when you draft them and then have them put their armor back when they are undrafted that would be great.
I see three tradeoffs for this:
- way to much reduced carrying capacity
- the tradeoffs for the gear would be negated
- time wasted going to the lockers, possibly outside of your control