[1.0] Compare Gear

Started by TolSatha, October 15, 2018, 06:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TolSatha

A very simple mod that adds a comparison window for all ranged weapons and all armor/clothing, to help you better decide what is worth buying or crafting.
It displays the relevant stats of both vanilla and modded weapons/armors, and allows you to sort the gear by any column.

Some pics:

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ybn5p17r018w4g/CompareTool.zip?dl=1

Canute

Hi,
I need to say very useful mod, special when you try out new weapon/armor mods.

Just a question about DPS (touch) did you calculate the range damage or do you use the mellee damage of the weapon ?

For the next version i would like to see:
- a compare sheet for mellee weapon's.
- Seperate armor into layers. Maybe take the EdB Prepare carefully layer as example (Pants, top/middle/bottom clothing layer, Hat, accesory, (hand,feet if you detect a hand/foot wear mod) )

crusader2010

Finally this mod! I'm happy :)
Is it possible to sort the lists using multiple columns at the same time (i.e. sorting after more than one stat, in the specified order)?

+what Canute said

Thanks for the mod!
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

TolSatha

Quote from: Canute on October 15, 2018, 07:22:52 AM
Just a question about DPS (touch) did you calculate the range damage or do you use the mellee damage of the weapon ?
It's the range damage - specifically it's the ideal DPS if every shot were to hit, multiplied by touch accuracy.
Note that "touch" range is up to 3 tiles, so they can still be shooting at that range.
I might include melee damage as well, but if I do I'll list it specifically as melee to avoid confusion.

- a compare sheet for mellee weapon's.(hand,feet if you detect a hand/foot wear mod) )
I considered doing melee weapons but decided against it. What prompted me to make this mod in the first place was the fact that ranged weapons do not have their DPS shown anywhere in their info windows, so you'd have to calculate it yourself. Melee weapons do, so it seems a little redundant. The only use would be to more quickly see how different weapons compare with each other, which I guess would be useful so I might include it.
I've looked into it initially but I couldn't figure out how their DPS is supposed to be calculated. It should be as simple as damage/cooldown, but the results I get are always off by a small margin from the figures shown in their info windows. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong.

- Seperate armor into layers. Maybe take the EdB Prepare carefully layer as example (Pants, top/middle/bottom clothing layer, Hat, accesory, (hand,feet if you detect a hand/foot wear mod) )
Yeah, this wouldn't be difficult to do. I could have an extra bar under Armors with tabs for each layer, and one for all to get a quick general view.

Quote from: crusader2010 on October 15, 2018, 10:45:32 AM
Is it possible to sort the lists using multiple columns at the same time (i.e. sorting after more than one stat, in the specified order)?
Not at the moment, and I'm not sure how to implement that from the UI side of things.
The actual code is not complex, but how does the user choose what columns to sort by and in what exact order, without the UI getting overly confusing or it interfering with the simple "sort by this" function?
If you know of any mods out there that have such a thing I'd love to see how it was implemented.

As a final thought, this whole thing was put together in one night out of frustration and is still extremely basic.
It's functional but lacks a lot of polish, so I'll mostly focus on getting it up to proper Rimworld standard before adding new features.

crusader2010

I don't know the code-behind related to the UI but it should work like this:
- you press the button for a column, it gets sorted.
- if you press SHIFT and click another column it sorts the previous (already sorted) list based on this new column.
- repeat previous step as needed (also for ascending/descending ordering).

Thanks again, your mod really helps :)

TolSatha

Quote from: crusader2010 on October 16, 2018, 06:47:09 AM
- if you press SHIFT and click another column it sorts the previous (already sorted) list based on this new column.
Yeah, that'd be a pretty good way to do it. I'll include that in the next version.
Right now it's still quite barebones, and I just realized that the armor and temperature values for stuffed armors aren't even being calculated properly since their values are based on entirely different variables, so I gotta fix that first.

crusader2010

Thanks :) let us know when you upload a new version. Looking forward to it!

Canute

Until TolSatha get out a new version.
The B19 works well so far with 1.0, just change the version number it you don't want a warning.

Hjkma

Hi. Is the mod still under development? The mod seems to compare all weapons and apparels from mods and vanilla, not those that belong to the colony only. I just have a lot of mods and I would like to look among the things that are in the storages and used by Pawns. Just looking among all the things from mods and vanilla is not very convenient. Can you add a filter to look only for things in the colony? Thanks!

Lethe

Could someone reupload the mod please?

TolSatha

I apologize for abandoning this right after release, but life has kept me very busy over the past few months. I promise to do better.  :)

Quote from: Lethe on February 10, 2019, 02:32:17 PM
Could someone reupload the mod please?

The mod has been updated to 1.0 and re-uploaded. Check the link in the OP.

Quote from: Hjkma on December 31, 2018, 09:09:22 AM
Hi. Is the mod still under development? The mod seems to compare all weapons and apparels from mods and vanilla, not those that belong to the colony only. I just have a lot of mods and I would like to look among the things that are in the storages and used by Pawns. Just looking among all the things from mods and vanilla is not very convenient. Can you add a filter to look only for things in the colony? Thanks!

The initial idea for the mod was to compare all the gear in the game so you'd know what to craft or buy for your colonists.
Now that you mention it, it would be convenient to quickly compare the gear that your colony currently owns, so I'll be adding that to the planned features list.
Should have an update out in the next few days.

akiceabear

It would also be nice to compare only one item against another. Thinking of RPG systems where the item equipped versus item compared will highlight stat differences in green and red.