Is it OK to ask people to download mods from workshop and upload them here?

Started by Kapun, October 21, 2018, 05:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kapun

There are quite a few mods that are on the steam workshop but not anywhere else, or the newest versions of some mods are only on the workshop. Is it fine (legal and such) if i ask people (not authors of said mods, just regular people) to download mod from workshop, upload them somewhere and post a link on the forums?

Griphaha

It depends on what the authors license says, if there isn't one then completely legal.

Griphaha

Kapun

True, but 0.19 version only and there is 1.0 version in the workshop

Griphaha

None of his mods have assemblies, so you can use his b19 mods in 1.0. If you don't like seeing them come up red you can change the about. XML  target verson from 0.19... To 1.0.0

Kapun

I am using Rimsenal - Enhanced Vanilla Pack and it gives a red error
XML error: <explosionBuildingDamageFactor>5</explosionBuildingDamageFactor> doesn't correspond to any field in type DamageDef. Context: <DamageDef ParentName="LocalInjuryBase"><workerClass>DamageWorker_AddInjury</workerClass><defName>ChargedBolt</defName><label>bullet</label><externalViolence>true</externalViolence><isExplosive>true</isExplosive><deathMessage>{0} has been shot to death.</deathMessage><hediff>Shredded</hediff><hediffSolid>Crack</hediffSolid><harmAllLayersUntilOutside>true</harmAllLayersUntilOutside><impactSoundType>Bullet</impactSoundType><armorCategory>Sharp</armorCategory><minDamageToFragment>15</minDamageToFragment><defaultDamage>10</defaultDamage><explosionBuildingDamageFactor>5</explosionBuildingDamageFactor><explosionAffectOutsidePartsOnly>false</explosionAffectOutsidePartsOnly><explosionHeatEnergyPerCell>5</explosionHeatEnergyPerCell><explosionCellMote>ChargeMote</explosionCellMote><explosionColorCenter>(0.8, 0.9, 1)</explosionColorCenter><explosionColorEdge>(0.7, 0.8, 1)</explosionColorEdge><soundExplosion>Explosion_EMP</soundExplosion></DamageDef>
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ObjectFromXml(XmlNode, Boolean)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
Verse.DirectXmlLoader:DefFromNode(XmlNode, LoadableXmlAsset)
Verse.LoadedModManager:ParseAndProcessXML(XmlDocument, Dictionary`2)
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadAllActiveMods()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

Griphaha

I don't know how it was working in b19 with that code in the first place. Here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ketd73wg6tiabg/Rimsenal_Vanilla.7z?dl=0

You still need the orignal mod, just overwrite the file with this one.

Kapun

Thanks, i replaced the file and it no longer gives the error. Any chance you could post CustomDeathRandomness? Its 1.0 in the workshop but the 0.18 version from the forum doesn't work. And there are at least 4 other people who asked for Custom Death Randomness 1.0 to be uploaded somewhere.
CustomDeathRandomness forum thread https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37446.0
Workshop page https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1464742390

Griphaha

Sorry can't help you there, no workshop account. That MOD has assemblies which I'm not experienced with.

Kapun

I think we probably need a dedicated thread for upload requests because this one has a misleading title and such, so i am going to make a new thread

Canute

I think we should ignore such requests.
If you don't want use steam (like me) you shouldn't look at the steam workshop.
If a modder don't release a non-steam version it is his choise and you should accept it.
Same choise like you not to get your free steam key if you bought the DRM version.
And if you use a pirate version, you shouldn't even ask about it.

chrisb2e9

Quote from: Canute on October 21, 2018, 03:51:56 PM
I think we should ignore such requests.
And if you use a pirate version, you shouldn't even ask about it.

This. Not accusing the OP of anything. But most people looking for mods from steam don't own the game. And if you do own it, just use steam. It gives you access to the mods, and they get updated with no hassle.