What is your opinion on the somewhat recent Simplified Leather Change to Vanilla

Started by viperwasp, October 16, 2018, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patoka

i think it also opens up the game to adding more types of animals. until now, any animal you added essentially produced another type of leather which makes crafting leather things just even more of a nightmare. (obv there are exceptions)
eg: now we can add giraffes without the need to add another type of leather, giraffe leather.

maybe i am the only one that ever did this long term, but i always try to use all the resources i am given and will not sell anything that has another use (superfluous or just plain weak guns obv i still sell, also scyther blades and so on) and when on caravans will carry everything back home with the exception of rock and maybe steel. i will even make a single pawn wait in place with all the loot to make the rest of my pawns go back and forth between him and my base. anyway. i will also definitely hunt every animal down and after butchering them, make armchairs out of them and kibble. the thing is, that's a lot of leather. i have a fairly large room dedicated to just making use of leather and it is actually surprisingly hard and i play on the tiniest map possible. i dont get that many animals. i rely on their meat a lot but their leather? i made like 6 large dining/rec rooms with long tables surrounded by armchairs. all of these rooms have tv's, two of them even megascreens and every single place has an armchair. i then upgraded to normal armchairs and deconstructed the inferior ones. then to good, then to superior. now i'm at excellent and soon done with even that and i'm only in year 8 and i am still going on with the game as usual, you can clearly see how i am not exactly low on resources in that regard. it is actually my main source of income by now, as i am completely out of minable resources and refuse to sell food to traders if it isnt about to go bad or if i completely run out of space sometimes because of elephant hordes. all i do is expand my base, grow and hunt, food, grow wood, fight, sell some things and buy bionics. and as i said before i try to make use of leather.

i am saying all this because animals just drop too much leather imo, or that there are too many wandering about on the map. i think the drop amounts for leather should be lowered with 1.0 because you will have much less leather laying around uselessly, because there are fewer types of it so it is much easier to make use of what you have.

eg: currently in early game if you first hunt for and butcher 10 animals you easily end up with 8 different types of leather and can barely do anything with it. with the update you end up with maybe 3 types and you have way more possibilities suddenly, eventhough your own skill or the game's difficulty setting didnt change. like that it is much easier to spam dusters, button down shirts and pants than before.

also, most people have always probably just sold all but maybe the very best leathers they had and grew cotton for armchairs and so on. that is mainly because the price for leathers is so high. it has to be corrected downwards slightly. it just seems too weird to me that poor wanderers would give so much of their precious food for some scraps of fabric and leather. it's not even like i give them proper covers, sleeping bags or jackets or whatever. it is just the raw material, it's useless to them like that, especially in those low amounts.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

viperwasp

Yeah after seeing how all this works. I think I like it more. I thought there was only 3-4 types of leather but there is a lot. So it's good.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

AileTheAlien

Personally, I'd prefer even fewer types of leather, but I guess I'll have to mod that in myself:
- patch (large penalty to hot, cold, armor)
- light (small penalty to hot, cold, armor)
- plain
- armor (large bonus)
- hot-weather (large bonus)
- cold-weather (large bonus)
- heavy (small bonus to hot, cold, armor)
- thrumbo (large bonus to hot, cold, armor)
- luxury (bonus to sell-price, beauty)
- human

Counting in the XML, I guess that means I think there's 9 redundant leathers. :P

sadpickle

It is good there are fewer leathers and they are loosely categorized. What isn't good is that most of the leathers are really samey (with the exception of thrumbo) and they are all strictly inferior to devilstrand (thrumbofur wealth is extreme making it inferior for protection). If you can grow devilstrand there is no real reason to make leather clothing except as a trade good.

Quote from: AileTheAlien on October 19, 2018, 08:43:32 AM
Personally, I'd prefer even fewer types of leather, but I guess I'll have to mod that in myself:
- plain
- armor (large bonus)
- human

Counting in the XML, I guess that means I think there's 9 redundant leathers. :P
This is a good change. Every leather will have a role and some could potentially be superior to devilstrand. I would also reduce the amount dropped because I always wind up with tons.

zgrssd

Quote from: AileTheAlien on October 19, 2018, 08:43:32 AM
- plain
- armor (large bonus)
- human

I agrree, cutting it down to that few types would be even better.

On the mater of thermal resistance, I think it is intentional that leathers are weak there. For Cold Resistance, Wools are the go to. And for general thermal, it is Textiles. Giving us hot and cold weather leather might just make all Textiles and Wools superfluous.

zizard

panfur/camhide is 24 hots vs highest of 26
hfur is 30 colds and thrumfur 34 vs highest of 34

So leathers already have good options for both hot and cold.

Yoshida Keiji

The only thing I miss from the old version is that boomrats/boomalopes used to provide "red" fur which I loved to add color to my apparels before devilstrand became available for my colony.

The thing that I hate about the new grouping is that it is still disorganized alphabetically like repeatedly requested to Tynan.

The thing that I still want and was already suggested by others is to keep butchered heads which we could use as face mask like ancient tribes, and I'm a Lost Tribe exclusive player. As well as mattresses of furs, who wouldn't love to have a full panther mat on their rooms? Make collars with their teeth, or keep their limbs as punching gloves for extra slash damage?...And why cant I have my exotic prostitute wear a full leopard ONE PIECE dress?

But overall, its a good update.