What map size do you play with?

Started by jpinard, October 16, 2018, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

I'm wondering if most of you play with the default of 250x250 or bump it up one to 275x275?  Not sure if the slightly larger medium is cheaty or not since it gives your base more room to spread out?

viperwasp

I play on 300 x 300 or 325 x 325.

Any smaller than those two I feel is to small. Any larger to much lag. I play with decent amount of mods. Sometimes around 30 mods. Single Core CPU power is the #1 important thing to determine lag. Video Card and Ram and even multicore CPU and all does help. But primarily single core strength is the bottleneck. I have a I7 7700k (Not Over Clocked) and with a lot of mods I run into decent lag issues at 325 x 325. 300 x 300 is a little better. And I really have not played on smaller than 300 x 300 in a long time. I have before but it limits me and it feels like I don't have enough room to enjoy how I play. Still on my PC you can see specs below even 325 x 325 is not so bad. But I would advice caution going above 300 x 300. And even on my PC I tried the next one up from 325 x 325 and it was fairly lagged for me.

I don't think any size is cheaty? To me it's more about lag control. Some things are harder on smaller maps. Some things are harder on larger maps. If there was no lag I would go the highest map size. Difficulty scales with size in a sense that on larger maps your going to have to travel farther to deal with Physic and Poison Ships etc. In extreme heat or cold things like that are harder on larger maps. This is only just one example.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

zizard

Default, actually tempted to go smaller because getting stuff at the edge of the map is annoying sometimes.

Scavenger

I have always used pretty much the second to largest available, the one that always gives you a size warning. You have to enable it in options I think.

I use that primarily because there are far more animals to catch and play with! And partly because it's a little easier to find a cool spot to build. I have two primary concerns with this game and many like it, if there is enough animals to catch and play with, and how balanced it is. Sadly, bigger Maps means Farm or animals, but not as balanced :-( you have a lot of extra room to shoot things coming in and build and more resources than you should have for a good balance. As well as the potential to ignore certain events like poison drop ships if they are far enough away. I have the same issue with biomes, the hardest biomes have almost no animals to play with, and the ones with a lot tend to be easier :-(
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

5thHorseman

I play on the default size for the exact same reason that I never bring bedrolls on caravans.

I never remember it's an option until I'm already on my way.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

I play on default, but my laptop might have an easier time with one notch smaller. I don't get lag or anything, but the fan's usually running at all times when I play Rimworld. ^^;

Golden

I play on 300x300.  The small ones drive me crazier.

Maverik

300x300 always, I like to have giant bases but I dont want to mess with the balance too much with the bigger maps. Performance never was a problem.

B@R5uk

The biggest one of course! 300x300 or 325x325.

vzoxz0

I play on 250 or 275.

Tynan has stated that playing on bigger maps is basically cheating since the AI doesn't know how to deal with things then.

reteo

My usual preference is the next size up from the default (275×275).  This is because this simplifies the discovery of the exact center of the map.  You see, on a default (250×250) map, the exact center is actually the point at the center of a four-space square (the map size is even, after all), while on the next size up (275×275), the center is a space.

I'd go larger, but anything above that next size seems to warn about AI stupidity and general game brokenness, and I'd rather keep the game functioning as expected.

fritzgryphon

300x300 (biggest size gives me some low frames in jungle biome)

I admit it's easier than default. Lots of ores on one map, and you have lots of time to mortar approaching raiders.  But the idea of the map having an 'edge' at all just seems weird from a realistic standpoint. 

Koek

Quote from: reteo on October 17, 2018, 09:27:22 AM
My usual preference is the next size up from the default (275×275).  This is because this simplifies the discovery of the exact center of the map.  You see, on a default (250×250) map, the exact center is actually the point at the center of a four-space square (the map size is even, after all), while on the next size up (275×275), the center is a space.

I'd go larger, but anything above that next size seems to warn about AI stupidity and general game brokenness, and I'd rather keep the game functioning as expected.

that's pretty OCD m8. I like it  ;D

Kirby23590

I prefer either the normal size either 250x250 or 275x275 size

or Large 300x300 & 325x325...

I like normal map sizes to build a nice looking colony, but large map sizes are also good with some share of pros & cons.

PROS
- More land and space
- More materials and mining spots
- Depending in terrain, more farmable lands.
- Raiders have a bad time trying to move in, if they don't use drop pods.
- More chance for steam geysers

CONS
- Your caravan and trader caravans will take more time to get into your colony, depending where you built it.
- Curtain stuff will be far away from your place & colony...
- Hunting animals are a bit far at times.
- More open land means more holes for raiders and manhunters to go in until clogged, unless playing in a mountainous or large hills terrain.
- Drop pod raids are still a problem.

If you like building large or big colonies, i say go for 275x275 or large map sizes...

The Extreme or large map sizes might create lag issues & problems that might show up in extremely late game...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.