Pros and Cons to owning Ludeon Site Version VS Steam Version. Last chance?

Started by viperwasp, October 16, 2018, 06:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viperwasp

Okay the title of this forum thread does not really express what the purpose of this thread is...
Just recently I read this forum...

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=45969.0
in a nut shell the link above is about someone complaining that every time game or mods update
everything goes to hell in a hand basket. And that updates are hard to avoid. I can't understand why this is Tynans fault?
kind of how mods and stuff work... I have read other people complain about the same thing.
But I have a solution for everyone who has this issue.

The solution requires owning a copy of the official site version of the game. Not everyone
will be happy to re-buy the game. I started with the official site version and bought a Steam Copy just for fun
and support. But maybe I am weird? However the official site version in my opinion is better. I will discuss some of the
pros and cons. And Steam has it's pros too! But the main reason I feel Ludeon version is better... is the following...

When you download a copy of the DRM Free Ludeon Version of Rimworld. It comes in a folder and does not need to install.

• It runs from a standalone folder.
  • You can have as many copies of this folder as you want.
  • You can have a separate Save and Mod Folder inside each one.
  • The game and mods won't automatically update for any reason.
  • In theory if it works once it will work 10 years later.
  • If the game updates you can re-download it as another folder. You can still keep your old copies.

I still play A13 games with custom mod packs I personally setup years ago. But I mainly play A17 right now.
In fact I have four copies of A17. The reason I have four copies is each concurrent game I'm playing has it's own copy.

And you can rename the Rimworld Folder to anything... I have a naming scheme that goes something like this...

Version - Vanilla or Modded - Name of Colony or Nickname for game.
So here are my current games...

[Folder Names]
A17 - Vanilla - Night's Watch
A17 - Modded - Dormouse Inn
A17 - Modded - Zombie Survivor
A17 - Modded - Star Wars

No updates, no accidentally mixing up mod or save files. Simple.... However I can't use Steam mods easily. There is a way
to install them but most mods on Steam are on these forums anyhow. I have taken some Mods from Steam and they work
but I forgot how I did it etc. I have not done it recently. lol 

So the Steam Version has auto updating and Steam workshop. But both versions of the game can make use of any mod if you know what your doing. And guess what? I think it's your last chance to buy Rimworld from the official site without it costing full price? I'm not saying most people should do this.

Plus the common updates for the Steam Version will eventually come to an end. Well both versions. Bug updates won't be as serious as full beta updates. But still any update can cause issues and mods can update as well on Steam right? Either way I still find the Ludeon Version to be worth it. But even if the Steam version does not update often in the future. The save files are always going to be together right? And same with mod packs? You will have to manually copy and paste and change up the mod packs etc. The Ludeon version has none of these issues.

Finally you do have to add a command line to the Ludeon version to make it do as I say! You need to make a custom shortcut for the games .exe and add this "-savedatafolder=SaveData" but the game comes with a readme that explains it.

If anyone has any solutions or feedback let us know? I just wanted everyone to know this encase they did not know it. And I knew some people
who already owned the non-steam version and did not know you can add the command line and make them all run within just that folder.

•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

zizard

You can convert the steam version to afaik a "DRM free" version by copying the folder out and removing a few steam specific files.

viperwasp

Quote from: zizard on October 16, 2018, 07:12:05 PM
You can convert the steam version to afaik a "DRM free" version by copying the folder out and removing a few steam specific files.

That is something I did not know about? Nice one zizard. Will it work exactly like DRM free? You can even add the command line? Then just keep a vanilla copy as backup. And make as many copies for each game just like I do? If that is possible. Anyone reading this I strongly suggest you look into it? Does it go against polices on this forum to discuss that? If it does not... please anyone provide a link to like a guide to do this.

Is there a guide or youtube video that may help people? I have no reason to do this as I own legit Ludeon Version. But if this is allowed I STRONGLY RECOMMEND it... you won't even need to buy another copy. And the Steam related issues go away. Thanks for that information that's part of why I made this thread helpful feedback.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

zizard

I think there is a guide on steam forums called "how to back up your game" or something.

Pretty sure you just copy Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld folder to somewhere else and transfer Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100 to wherever Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods is now.

Spocklw

Also when you bought the "Ludeon site" version, you got possibility to "get" the game on steam for free as well:
https://rimworldgame.com/getmygame/

vzoxz0

You realize the Steam version supports lots of versions back in time, right?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 17, 2018, 07:36:09 AM
You realize the Steam version supports lots of versions back in time, right?

If you buy from ludeon.com you get both the DRM free version AND a copy linked to your Steam account (which is also basically DRM free).

RicRider

This is exactly what I did. I got it on Steam first and played most of B18 on Steam. Then when B19 came out I decided to get the DRM version too. Now I run a few games in different folders and use the Steam version mostly for testing new mods quickly, which if I like I will remove from the Steam folder and add to a separate "ModsDownloaded" folder. I use this folder to store all the mods that I find and also fix bugs in this folder if necessary. Then all I have to do if I want to use a mod is copy from that folder to the custom game folder that was copied from the DRM free version.

I have about 3 games running at the moment in their own folder and own installed version of the game. I actually didn't think up this system myself either, I got it from a few YouTubers I follow who were chatting about it on their streams. I think you need to probably get this organised if you want to stream the game without having your save get corrupted by an update or something or if you want to try making your own custom modpacks that have no bugs in them or conflicts.

I know I'm probably going a bit overboard with this and most people wouldn't do this but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to these things. My computer is more organised than everything else in my life. :P
##Coding Scrub##

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: RicRider on October 17, 2018, 08:43:27 AM
This is exactly what I did. I got it on Steam first and played most of B18 on Steam. Then when B19 came out I decided to get the DRM version too. Now I run a few games in different folders and use the Steam version mostly for testing new mods quickly, which if I like I will remove from the Steam folder and add to a separate "ModsDownloaded" folder. I use this folder to store all the mods that I find and also fix bugs in this folder if necessary. Then all I have to do if I want to use a mod is copy from that folder to the custom game folder that was copied from the DRM free version.

I have about 3 games running at the moment in their own folder and own installed version of the game. I actually didn't think up this system myself either, I got it from a few YouTubers I follow who were chatting about it on their streams. I think you need to probably get this organised if you want to stream the game without having your save get corrupted by an update or something or if you want to try making your own custom modpacks that have no bugs in them or conflicts.

I know I'm probably going a bit overboard with this and most people wouldn't do this but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to these things. My computer is more organised than everything else in my life. :P

I have done the same in the past. I have had 5 or 6 current installations of Rimworld at a time. Usually a vanilla of each of the last and current version. And then also a modded version of each, and then sometimes another whole setup for HardcoreSK (usually always on the previous version as the mod is so big it takes quite a long while to be ready for current version.)

Pal

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 17, 2018, 07:36:09 AMYou realize the Steam version supports lots of versions back in time, right?

I was gonna say, just about any game on Steam including Rimworld lets you go back to a previous version by right clicking it in your library and going to properties > betas (Contrary to the name, it usually does not just contain betas). If someone doesn't wanna update it's really as simple as that. My understanding is that many mods are backwards compatible, too, so I'm not even sure you'd have to manually install mods to do it?

Or you could just get the DRM-free version/Turn your Steam copy into a DRM free version.

EDIT: Oh, this is like, Really Old. I didn't even realize.