Will there be achievements on steam?

Started by Jochem285, October 17, 2018, 11:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jochem285

First of all, congratulations to Tynan (and the rest of the dev team) on the release!
Now that the final product is out there, I was wondering if there will be achievements?
Maybe I have missed a post, if so, apologies.

jpinard

viperwasp

I remember him saying no. But I don't have a source and I don't know if my memory is serving me correctly? I checked on Steam and I don't see any.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Maverik

Tynan says no, and im agreed with his reasons, the game doesnt need archivements.

easytarget

But Pavlov and Skinner will be so disappointed.  ;)
This space intentionally left blank

Kirby23590

This game doesn't need achievements...

I guess if there were, it would be...

Quote from: Achievements
First Blood - Lost your first colonist.
Lord of death - Kill 500 Raiders
Bloody Harvest - Harvest your first organ.
Riches to Ruins - Have your colony get wiped out with 7500 colony wealth.
Spaaaaaaaccceeeeee! - Escape the rims in a rocket ship

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

magicbush

He said no a while ago, and it was the only thing about this game I still dislike. IMHO if done right they do add a lot to a game.

5thHorseman

Quote from: magicbush on October 17, 2018, 05:15:46 PM
He said no a while ago, and it was the only thing about this game I still dislike. IMHO if done right they do add a lot to a game.

Agreed. How many people would try to do Factorio with as little hand-crafting as possible without the Lazy Bastard achievement? If Rimworld had a few like that it'd be an amazing spur to get people out of their comfort zones, or even to give them ideas of ways to play.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Jochem285

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually expected many "we don't need that" comments, so I guess I'm not the only one who would like some achievements to incentivize a certain play style.

jpinard

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 17, 2018, 06:36:24 PM
Quote from: magicbush on October 17, 2018, 05:15:46 PM

Agreed. How many people would try to do Factorio with as little hand-crafting as possible without the Lazy Bastard achievement? If Rimworld had a few like that it'd be an amazing spur to get people out of their comfort zones, or even to give them ideas of ways to play.

This.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Jochem285 on October 18, 2018, 02:31:57 AMI actually expected many "we don't need that" comments
Sorry, I had stuff to do last night; I actually have this opinion. If there was a way for me to disable achievements in all games on Steam, I would use it. However, there is not, and the achiement pop-ups always take me out of the universe of the game, reminding me that I'm a pudgy guy sitting at a laptop. I do not want them in Rimworld, thanks.

dburgdorf

Quote from: 5thHorseman on October 17, 2018, 06:36:24 PMAgreed. How many people would try to do Factorio with as little hand-crafting as possible without the Lazy Bastard achievement? If Rimworld had a few like that it'd be an amazing spur to get people out of their comfort zones, or even to give them ideas of ways to play.

I've always regarded achievements in games as pointless window dressing that's kind of annoying but usually easily ignored. I've never understood why I'd want or care about a game "congratulating" me for doing X for the first time or Y for to 5,000th time.

Yours is literally the first comment about them I've ever come across that made me think that maybe, if done intelligently, achievements might actually serve something resembling a useful purpose.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Serenity

There are other games that use achievements to guide people in interesting directions. Paradox strategy games like Europa Universalis 4 or Crusader Kings 2 have achievements where you need to play a certain nation and do a certain thing. Something that's something historical and thus obvious. But others get you to do stuff (sometimes crazy stuff) you wouldn't normally do. Or just play as someone you may not have considered

Dashthechinchilla

I agree that the game doesn't require achievements, but doesn't steam require them?  I remember a trophy item was added to Don't Starve just to pacify the obligation.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on October 19, 2018, 05:01:58 PM
I agree that the game doesn't require achievements, but doesn't steam require them?  I remember a trophy item was added to Don't Starve just to pacify the obligation.

Definitely not a Steam requirement. I have other games without achievements. Perhaps Don't Starve had advertised them thus *had* to include them later?