MacOS Resolution issues with Fullscreen 1.0.2059 rev1016

Started by derpicus, October 17, 2018, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derpicus

I can't seem to get Rimworld 1.0.2059 rev1016 to run in fullscreen mode without it being distorted. I use a resolution on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) of 1280x800, but I cannot select that in RimWorld. I can select 1280x800 from the dropdown under Options, but it doesn't take. It doesn't actually change the resolution. So I can either run it in windowed mode, or it's fullscreen and distorted.

I'm using a UI scaling of x1.

Thanks! Love the game and have been playing it since like 2013. I'm not really sure when I started :)

troppo

I'm also getting plenty of weirdness on a 5k iMac running macOS 10.13.6.
I tried changing to 1440P (my normal goto resolution that allows for crisp text) and it changed, then decided to window itself and shrunk a few pixels in the process.  It wouldn't change back to full screen.  I selected a different resolution and tried to change back to 1440P, no luck.  It would select it and ask if I wanted to keep the changes, but it never actually changed, just stayed on the previous resolution.
Then I changed to 5K and set my menu sizes to compensate.  I changed a few mods and on the restart my menus were so huge I had to force quit the app as it wouldn't display the buttons.
There was also a lot of other weirdness while I have been playing with the resolutions.  Going in and out of window mode, stretching the onscreen graphics out of perspective etc.
Resolution on the 5K iMac was always a little flaky on the betas, but this is a new level of flakiness.

Tan5500

Hi, I'm having the same issue where it decides my resolution should be set to 1280x709 on my macbook pro.  I can find absolutely no way to switch it back to 1280x800.  I went all the way to editing the .plist file and it would just reset itself.  Im also running 1.0.2059.  I'd seen another thread where this was apparently fixed, but that is not the case for me.

insectile

I am also having this issue.

Note that for the entire early release it would have the problem (on all my macs, over multiple version of MacOS) where the game would start in some weird resolution like 1440x855 (depends on the screen I'm using).  Note that this resolution wouldn't even be in the dropdown list.

In the past I could just select the desired resolution from the dropdown (every time I started the game), but now when I select the desired resolution it gives me the 'keep or revert' dialog, but does not change the resolution.

...so currently no way to play the game in a normal resolution with the expected aspect ratio.

mgnlmn

My boyfriend and I are also having this issue. 13" and 15" retina laptops, one with 10.12 and one with 10.13. On my 13" I usually play in 1440 x 900 and it won't let me select that resolution. Running 1.0.2059 as well.

Tynan

Damn, the Mac resolution issues are back. I'm gonna ask ison to look at it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ashdroid

I'm also seeing this issue.

I'm playing on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (1280x800 screen). In previous versions of the game, I'd just start it up, change the resolution to 1280x800, and that was it.

Now, opening the options pane makes the game go from fullscreen into windowed (???). And then when I try to change the resolution (from 1280x751 to 1280x800), it doesn't change. It kindly asks me if the new resolution works okay, but doesn't actually change it. It's also showing 1024x751 as being an available resolution, and I CAN successfully switch to that.

----

Oh god. I switched it back to fullscreen mode while I still had the resolution set to 1024x751 and then that was only resolution option. No 1280x751 at all until I went back to windowed. That was scary and so blurry.

troppo

I'm currently doing a workaround to get the game playing fullscreen without too much weirdness.  I open the game as usual and it opens in a window at whatever resolution. I then hit F3 to open up my MacOS desktops view, and I drag the rim world window into a new desktop.  It opens up full screen in the new desktop. I have to do this every time I start the game but it looks ok, with crisp text, which is what I was after.

sylphaenos

Same issue here on a Mac Pro (2013) running Mojave with a 1920x1200 monitor. Version 1.0.2059.

My resolution was initially still set correctly (1920x1200) from older versions of the game, so on first launch I was able to play at 1920x1200 (windowed; fullscreen was distorted as reported here) but once I changed the resolution once, I couldn't set it back to 1920x1200. Clicking the option has no effect.

I also tried writing directly to the plist file:
defaults write "unity.Ludeon Studios.RimWorld by Ludeon Studios" "Screenmanager Resolution Height" 1200
which also had no effect (the game still launches at 1920x1080).

The suggestion posted by troppo didn't work for me.

Edit: I was able to at least get back to 1920x1200 windowed (menu shows 1920x1112) by dragging to expand the window after loading into a game. Dragging to resize on the menu screen didn't work. Trying to enable full screen in game still results in vertical stretching.

Tynan

This should be solved on the current unstable build - 2086. Please test and let us know if it's okay! Looking forward to your response(s).

sylphaenos

Just tested on 1.0.2093 and everything looks great; my game launched at 1920x1200 (fullscreen) and I was able to switch to 1920x1080 and back to 1920x1200 both in the menu and in-game. Thanks!

Tynan

Tynan