[1.0] Visitors not obeying forbidden doors.

Started by MrLeap, October 17, 2018, 09:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrLeap

I have a forbidden emergency door into my freezer. Traders blow through it to get to a table so they can eat their pemmican.

I keep it forbidden because otherwise it would be the shortest path to a lot of things and I don't want them letting the cool air out. These dirty traders are letting the cool air out.

If a forbidden door is conceptually a locked door, this is probably not the right behavior.

If forbidden doors operate on the honor system, I guess it's okay then? Maybe let me lock doors.

viperwasp

I'm glad your making this post. Thanks. But I think this is intended behavior. The reason why is forbidden is not locking. Colonists or pawns whatever you want to call them will go though doors that are forbidden when they go on mental breaks!

And I think visitors and such will use forbidden doors because players can use this to abuse the game. For example you can trap visitors in a giant reinforced room. Forbid the doors and starve, burn or freeze the visitors and loot what they drop. Stuff like that. Same for raiders. Except raiders have to bash doors to open them. So you don't have to forbid a door to stop a raider. However forbidding does keep your own colonists and pets I think from using a door unless they go on a mental break. 

But I'm not a Dev and sometime even I make mistakes. So maybe I am wrong.

I don't see locked doors ever coming to Vanilla. But I think there is a mod. In the very least there was a locked door mod for earlier versions of Rimworld. But keep in mind depending on how you use the Locked Door mod you can badly abuse the game and exploit stuff. But that's in your hands as it's a mod.

•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

MrLeap

Wouldn't your apologetics be mitigated by the same system that has visitors punch through walls if you have the audacity to wall them in when they come to visit?

viperwasp

Yes and no. Your right pawns and animals go super sayian and break though stuff when trapped. But yeah I don't know the full story but still few things locking doors can do that the devs just want to avoid. Which is why it's not Vanilla. I can sort of think of situations but not well enough to put it into words. The whole pawns breaking stuff when trapped itself is still not flawless. Ways to still take advantage. Locked doors makes it a little easier.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Tynan

Forbidding is an AI directive, it doesn't change the physical door simulation. Non-player pawns (as well as prisoners, and mentally broken pawns) don't follow your AI directives, so it's not a bug. Sometimes visitors will indeed do things you'd prefer they didn't. Thanks for reporting anyway.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog