[1.0 - 1.1] Alpha Animals - 2.08 (16/03/20)

Started by SargBjornson, October 18, 2018, 03:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyareuhere

Thanks for the update of Alpha Animals! Just a question, is there a Combat Extended Patch currently available for this update? Fission mouse is giving an error for melee penetration on Combat Extended.

Canute

*reach KozmoD a big can of polish lotion,pencil and brush*
Do your fate and create better ones ! :-)

SargBjornson

Quote from: KozmoD on April 16, 2019, 07:27:46 PM
Its amazing to see new animals, more events, mechanics, etc.
But about theses textures... they seem a little... poor quality? The ideas are great, they just look a little less polished then the other ones.

Yeah, like, go away. That's rude. Do it yourself

KozmoD

Im so sorry, I didnt want to sound rude! XD
Its probably just me, but when I compare the theses with old ones, they seem a bit "rushed". The lines arent as clean, they seem tremulous, in some of them.
Still pretty good sprites, dont get me wrong, but the difference is visible.

But still, my bad XD

KozmoD

So... You said to make it better, so I tried XD I kept the overall shape of basically everything.

Rotten Drake: I love it, the only thing that bothered me was the face. It was kinda too small and crowded. I also gave it a bigger belly, animals that eat plants usually have bigger guts and bigger bellies cause of that.

Radyak: His posture was bothering me a lot, it felt broken.

The brown and white thing: Again, tiny, crowded head.

Sand Lion(?): I gave it a shorter face. It looked like a rat before.

The spiky orange thing: I made the spikes/rocks sharper. Fixed its "legs" lines.

Ocular Jelly: Made it less... creepy and more natural. Just gave it more eyes and now they look in all directions, so they arent staring at the player XD

Sky Eel: I remade it entierly. It looks like a blue insect/crustracean leg. Tried to mimic the lighting patterns and made it lightining shape, with elements of Oar fishes.

[attachment deleted due to age]

SargBjornson

Even if I appreciate the effort, I just plainly disagree with many of the changes:

• The Decay Drake and the Ocular Jelly now look like some sort of weird anime abominations.
  • Removing the tapered lines inside the bodies isn't "fixing" them, it actually makes them LESS like vanilla graphics. Same for making everything angular, the Gigantelope looks like a piece of paper now.
  • Many of the changes are super subjective. I'm not aiming at making the creatures pretty. The Radyak's posture is what it is, with a long, droopy neck, because that's the way its skeleton is. The Shock Goat HAS a tiny head, etc.
  • I don't like the new Sky eel at all. It's very flat.

The fact is, the earlier creatures were made by a different artist, and I'm doing my best to adapt his style instead of mine. If I didn't try, I'd just draw creatures in the Genetic Rim style, which is much easier for me, cause it's my style. The changes you suggested don't do much to approach A_Friend's style at all, and therefore I can't follow them at all.

KozmoD

- "The Decay Drake and the Ocular Jelly now look like some sort of weird anime abominations." thats exactly what they are... The changes on them are so little that some people I showed them to, couldnt even notice it. Thats on you, not me.
On top of that, with the eyes like that, the jelly looks like some photoshopped ".exe" terror game. Doesnt fit with the game AT ALL.

- "Removing the tapered lines makes them less vanilla" I strongly disagree. Even tho things like Thrumbo do have those lines, both the original artist and vanilla have clean lines, angles and curves.

- I agree that they are subjective, but, I changed things aiming for vanilla-like textures, taking them as references. Maybe with more info about the creatures, I could understand better what your aiming for in their design.

- My Sky eel at least looks like an animal. Yours looks like a piece of cloth that got cut out from a machine making jeans. That was the worst design you made, by far, and you usually do some good stuff.

And I know that the first things were done by a different artist, and you did a good job with some other textures, but theses arent them. Some of them look 100% out of Genetic Rim. Radyak (the best name ever btw, it took me a while to realise it was a Rad Yak XD) looks like a Muffalo Hare hybrid. With all of it, the "confusing" skeleton features your hybrids usually have. If my suggestions dont fit AA style, yours, right now, doesnt do it either.

SargBjornson

We'll have to agree to disagree. If you don't want this last batch of creatures, you can get past releases on Github

KozmoD

It was fun XD Im still gonna get it, I like the mod in general, even tho your art style dont fit.

Vintorez

Awesome update, I'm curious about the eels.

Have you considered taking a look at the Byakhee from the Rim of Madness - Cults mod? It's a creature that acts as a transport pod, but has been bugged for a while, essentially it can only be used between world tiles that have player colonists already on them both during and after launching, otherwise it ends up being lost as it considers all pawns downed if they're all loaded in it.

They haven't been able to fix it according to a reply I got on their Discord, so it could be an opportunity to help two mod communities at once by creating a similar animal for this mod that could be adapted or patched into the Cults mod as well.

Ruisuki

how does this affect difficulty? is it pretty well balanced?

whyareuhere

Well, I mean Rimworld can kill colonists with mad squirrels. It's pretty balanced, but certain animals are plant hybrids, so they need sunlight or sunlamps to survive with food (or need no food at all). Certain animals such as the Nightling also are nocturnal, and tend to be pretty similar to wargs.

There is the tetra slug, a slug that can charge batteries when it's close to them (it's an AOE effect), so that's useful.

Trunken

Dear Author,
thank you for doing this wonderful mod. Epic Work.

Riddle78

Figured I'd bring it up here. I did some SCIENCE! regarding landspeed. I compared the Meadow Ave and the Feralisk,as both can be mounted via Giddy Up,and accept A Dog Said bionics.

Hypothesis: The Feralisk,due to having four times the legs of a Meadow Ave,would be as fast as,or faster,than the Meadow Ave after both receive full suites of bionic legs.
Results: Hypothesis incorrect. The Meadow Ave moves slightly faster than the Feralisk when both have full suites of bionic legs. When mounted,the Meadow Ave leaves the Feralisk and its rider in the dust,due to the Meadow Ave's 50% speed bonus while mounted.

I'm pretty sure nothing in the mod can top the Meadow Ave for landspeed while mounted up,especially when given dogmentations augmentations. Except for maybe a human in full Archotech,hopped up on Luciferium and Go-Juice.

brucethemoose

Does this mod add animal spawning to the Outlander faction?

I'm trying to hunt down a mod conflict. There's *some* mod that adds random animal spawns to some of Hospitality's visitor groups, which breaks the groups and throws the exact same error in this GitHub issue someone else made:  https://github.com/OrionFive/Hospitality/issues/238

However, I cross referenced my modlist with Krisocka's and ruled out most of the only ones we have in common (Giddy Up!, Combat Extended and its patches, Animal Logic, More Faction Interaction, A Dog Said). The *only* mod I can't test is Alpha Animals, as my save won't even load when I remove Alpha Animals from the load order. Unfortunately, I can't seem to replicate the issue in a new debug map with the same mod loadout, meaning I haven't been able to pin down Alpha Animals by itself.

EDIT: https://github.com/OrionFive/Hospitality/issues/243

EDIT 2: Got the error in debug mode, and Alpha Animals doesn't appear to be the issue now... Not sure what mod is to blame, but disregard what I said earlier.