What's the difference between arrest and capture?

Started by letharion, July 09, 2014, 05:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letharion

For example when an escape pod crashes in the area, one can choose to either "arrest", or "capture" the crashee (is that a word?). Both the individual actions make sense, but I find it confusing that both actions are available at the same time on the same NPC.

What's the difference? As far as I can tell both actions do the same thing.

BetaSpectre

Arrest is when you take down an allied/friendly NPC to become a prisoner
Capture is when you pick up an incapacitated NPC to become a prisoner.

Little difference.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

milon

So it's two different names for the same thing? I've been wondering about that too.

letharion

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 09, 2014, 06:07:40 AM
Arrest is when you take down an allied/friendly NPC to become a prisoner
Capture is when you pick up an incapacitated NPC to become a prisoner.

Little difference.

However little, the distinction as you explained it, makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is that one can have both options on the same NPC. My original question may not have stated that properly, so I'll update it now.

Tynan

They're identical; they appear on the same person only because of a bug.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

dumbshine

Shouldn't there be some way to rescue colonists from friendly factions, who have, say, been taken down by a robot with a minigun? Because it appears I can either let them die on the ground, or capture/arrest them, pissing off their faction. I'd like to be able to put them in a medical bed and let them heal up and be on their way, maybe earning some points with their faction.

Xerberus86

Quote from: dumbshine on September 03, 2014, 05:27:29 PM
Shouldn't there be some way to rescue colonists from friendly factions, who have, say, been taken down by a robot with a minigun? Because it appears I can either let them die on the ground, or capture/arrest them, either way pissing off their faction. I'd like to be able to put them in a medical bed and let them heal up and be on their way, maybe earning some points with their faction.

maybe an option to "rescue ally" which would then transport him to one of your free medical beds. of course after you doctored him you should get a good relationship bonus. but in general i wonder what are the boni for having good relationships, i can neither trade nor interact with the factions :/ (newbie here).

Raufgar

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 03, 2014, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: dumbshine on September 03, 2014, 05:27:29 PM
Shouldn't there be some way to rescue colonists from friendly factions, who have, say, been taken down by a robot with a minigun? Because it appears I can either let them die on the ground, or capture/arrest them, either way pissing off their faction. I'd like to be able to put them in a medical bed and let them heal up and be on their way, maybe earning some points with their faction.

maybe an option to "rescue ally" which would then transport him to one of your free medical beds. of course after you doctored him you should get a good relationship bonus. but in general i wonder what are the boni for having good relationships, i can neither trade nor interact with the factions :/ (newbie here).

You can interact with other factions through the comms console. Currently you can increase relations by bribing them with silver. If you get goodwill high enough, you can use it to call for aid (uses it up and resets it to neutral). Aside from that one-off, no good will be got from having good relations, since they will send ever increasing groups to your base to eat your food, bonk your women, kill your prisoners, and/or go insane from hunger.
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

ShadowTani

Quote from: Raufgar on September 03, 2014, 08:46:38 PM
You can interact with other factions through the comms console. Currently you can increase relations by bribing them with silver. If you get goodwill high enough, you can use it to call for aid (uses it up and resets it to neutral). Aside from that one-off, no good will be got from having good relations, since they will send ever increasing groups to your base to eat your food, bonk your women, kill your prisoners, and/or go insane from hunger.

Not to mention the faction system is bugged at the moment and all relations will be reset to original values on save reload anyway.