[WIP] [1.0] RimBees

Started by SargBjornson, October 19, 2018, 04:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SargBjornson

So, I thought, "what does RimWorld need?" It needs bees, of course! Not just a simple mod where you can get some bees, and they produce some honey, and that's it. No, I mean a full fledged mod in the spirit of modded Minecraft, where you can crossbreed different species of bees to get all sorts of bizarre creations (I'm seeing a trend in my mods, uh...) that produce all kinds of resources so that, with a certain amount of work, you can run a colony entirely on bees.

This mod is RimBees! Original name! Obviously it draws inspiration from the Forestry mod for Minecraft, as well as from the Frackin Universe mod for Starbound, but tries to be also adapted to the characteristics of RimWorld.

In this mod, you'll at first hunt down hives that spawn naturally in all biomes, with two basic breeds: Temperate and Mild bees. By placing them in a beehouse, they will produce honeycombs around once a day, as long as temperature, daylight and lack of rain are OK. These honeycombs can be processed in the Honey Centrifuge, producing honey and beeswax.

Honey is used in cooking, with many new dishes ready to be prepared in the Beekeeping Workbench

Wax is a building material. It can be used to make regular furniture, but also to make specific things like candles, or wax floors.

If you place different bees in a beehouse, for example a Temperate Queen and a Mild Drone, the beehouse will sometimes produce a Temperate Comb, and sometimes a Mild Comb. But there is more! If you attach an Hybridization Chamber to the beehouse, a mutant queen will sometimes appear. A new breed!

Every bee breed has specific traits. For example, Swamp bees can work in the rain, and their combs produces raw mushrooms. When the mod is released I'll add some charts detailing all the mutations, but some of them will be hidden, meaning you won't get the more powerful bees unless you experiment a little (or take a look at the source code, you dirty, dirty cheater).

As for beehouses themselves, there are going to be three tiers. The first one will be basic, easy to build. The second one will be electricity powered, and provide a boost to bee production. The third one hasn't been coded yet but it's going to need some specific high-tier bee products, and do something awesome.

Development is now quite advanced, and it'd say it will be ready in about a month, more or less.

SargBjornson

If some decent artist wants to make a preview image that doesn't suck it'd be very grateful, though...

Canute

Hi sarg,
do you want expand the bee story so it affect the production/growing of plants too ?
You know without insect's the most plant's wouldn't get fruits.
So i think without you bee's around, the harvest yield should be reduced to 80%.
With your bee's it could be raised to 120%.

SargBjornson

That idea is good, but I'm not sure people would be happy with it!

Chicken Plucker

What's this?! An over abundance of bees in Rimworld?

This mod full of BEES ought to put a stop to that!

lude

Perhaps make that option toggable? I would be very happy, tho I'd be happy with a baseline of 100 as well as 80, should perhaps be an independent fertility modifier.
What do you mean by artist? Build a thingy with all the stuff? Get my hands on it prerelease? No artist tho, would love to test the current mod however.

SargBjornson

Quote from: Chicken Plucker on October 19, 2018, 04:33:30 PM
What's this?! An over abundance of bees in Rimworld?

This mod full of BEES ought to put a stop to that!

That's so random... and so beautiful. I LOVE it!

SargBjornson

Quote from: lude on October 19, 2018, 04:42:18 PM
Perhaps make that option toggable? I would be very happy, tho I'd be happy with a baseline of 100 as well as 80, should perhaps be an independent fertility modifier.
What do you mean by artist? Build a thingy with all the stuff? Get my hands on it prerelease? No artist tho, would love to test the current mod however.

I meant the banner that says "RimBees" :)

Canute

Yep, that's why i want modify the harvest yield not the soil fert.
There are enough mod's that enhance/modify the soil.
And plant will grow without bee's, that is based on the soil.

Hmm what happen to your bee's when the sprinkler from Dub's hygiene water up the fields ? :-)

victaria