Your DLC Wishes

Started by BasileusMaximos, October 18, 2018, 01:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

Now that the game is complete, what kind of DLC do you wish for most?

I want a DLC that once and for all fixes World Map interactions to make them a worthwhile part of your playthrough and not something that you only use once in a blue moon. I want something that will really encourage the player to venture out and found new frontiers.

The core the DLC will be the addition of vehicles and modifications to faction behavior and world map interaction. I'll call it "Trail Blazers"

The world map is divided into 5% "chunks". Each "chunk" starts out with factions that have only 1-3 settlements close together. You can either buy maps from traders or send scout parties to reveal other chunks of the map which will have new factions.

Factions will not send raiding parties out of their way to attack your settlement. They will only do so if they are in the same "chunk" as your or if they hate you enough/see you as enough of a threat/opportunity as to send a major force to siege you/drop pods on you. No more lone tribals trekking to your remote ice-sheet base. 

You can establish regular trade routes with factions as long as it is profitable for the faction you are sending a trade caravan to. Pawns assigned will move back and forth exporting and importing the goods you tell them to. These trade routs can be seen in the world map.

You can send out scouts to recon a "chunk" to reveal other faction's caravans or raids. More skilled scouts can spot more caravans and at high enough levels can predict where they are going. Scouts return to friendly settlements to take or buy food and can encounter dangerous situations, so having a skilled pawn able to forge effectively and defend themselves is recommended. Satellites can also be found or bought to give you near-perfect awareness of a "chunk" without the need to send out scouts.

Factions will attack and trade with other factions as well as yours. They can also establish new colonies if they have enough collective wealth, but this can be turned off. Factions will also never establish colonies outside of their "chunk" but this restriction can be disabled as well.

Caravans can be set to automatically bring enough food with them for their journey and will automatically stop at a friendly settlement to take or buy more food if they don't have enough on the road. This incentives players to build smaller 'way-station' colonies that provide resources to support longer caravan routs as well as give pawns a place to rest in a real bed.

Vehicles are a major part of the update and come in tiers. Tribals can learn to ride certain animals and use travois to increase the amount of goods an animal can haul. Medieval factions can build wagons that hold more goods and can transport multiple colonists. Industrial colonists can make trucks and cars that carry even more and run on petroleum. Spacer colonists can make flying VTOLS that make transportation anywhere an afterthought. Vehicles can be upgraded with better components and can be armed.

To support vehicles two new resources are added; rubber and oil. Rubber can be found naturally in tropical biomes or can be made synthetically and is used to make most industrial and spacer vehicle parts. Oil can be refined into petroleum to be used to make neutromine, plastic building material, synthread and synthetic rubber.

Oil and rubber are both very valuable but can be dangerous to get to. Oil can be found anywhere but is found in most abundance in dangerous biomes like deserts and ice sheets while rubber is exclusively found in disease-ridden tropical biomes. 

Imagine creating a trade empire, forging close ties with your neighbors and setting up wagon houses all across the land to support your traders. Or sending a column of armored cars to raze a tribal village. Or an expedition of prospectors up to the north pole to set up drilling operations to be sent back to the mother colony. No longer is the player concerned only about their immediate vicinity, now they go out of their way explore and build all over their world, interacting with all the factions of the world in an organic way. This DLC would create the motivation and means to blaze a trail.   

viperwasp

Water... everything to do with water... Thirst meter, plumbing, cold, hot water.... getting water from rain, wells, lakes, river ocean etc... Ocean water may need a filter to remove salt. Which you would get salt a by product.   Showers, bath, toilet maybe? Perhaps minus the toilet so pawns don't have to much they need to do. Or pawns don't have to use the toilet every day. Or toilets only add like a buff... like Base has Toilet Facilities +4 mood. But they are not actually used.

You could maybe do the same sort of thing with showers. But maybe they are fully usable. I don't know however would work best for Rimworld. But yeah water... even add a joy thing water slide it would be fairly basic. Maybe water based animals and pets. Only live near or in water. I know fishing exists as a mod. But his official canon DLC could add legit fishing. Since it's everything related to water the DLC.

If sinks exist near a cooking station different food items are possible or cooking gets a buff similar to the Cabnets for workshops. And maybe you can now craft different juices. Now a lot of this exists as mods. But many DLC if they ever do get released may overlap with mods as so many mods now. Which is okay. The related mods would be retired or reworked the same as many mods that have already been partially or completely adapted into vanilla.

I would try to have water involved in every aspect. Survival (Putting out fires.) I don't want crops to need to be watered. But maybe if you do it increases growth rate? Or a upgraded Hydroponics that needs water.  Or certain plants that only grow near or in water. You get the idea.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Scavenger

I would also love the exploration mode with fog of War! Uncovering different chunks of map and whatnot, expanding and conquering. As well as multiple colonies.

I also really really want a (zigazig ah) flushed out animal system with Farm or different types of animals and unique things certain animals can do! Like beavers chopping wood for you.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

kclace

Mechanoid scenario that let's you play as the mechanoid hive.

I don't think this would be too much work and it could be a lot of fun.

Instead of finding a ship to leave Rimworld, the objective should be to over load the ship's core and destroy all life on the planet. Or alternatively, construct a fusion bomb or virus to wipe everything out.

Kirby23590

Play as insects,

Be a queen and create megascrab workers to dig out your lair, Create an army of megaspiders, kill the humans & destroy their colonies and bases that threaten your hive, make & build the largest hive and conquer the rims!

Or talking animals, that sounds like my cup of tea... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

kclace

Quote from: Kirby23590 on October 18, 2018, 06:32:26 PM
Play as insects,

Be a queen and create megascrab workers to dig out your lair, Create an army of megaspiders, kill the humans & destroy their colonies and bases that threaten your hive, make & build the largest hive and conquer the rims!

Or talking animals, that sounds like my cup of tea... ;)

Great idea. While I am on the topic I wanted to flesh out my idea a little more. Similar concepts could be used for insectoids

Mechanoid scenario

You play as a mechanoid hive, an immobile object that consists of an ai core with its own personality and needs. The hive uses uranium for food. If the core dies, you lose. Also conducts research. Can be transported via drop pod.

Drones: You start with three drones. They are primarily construction workers and repairers but they have limited low level combat capacity. Can be manufactured in base at a drone production bench.
Scythers and centipedes: Combat only units manufactured with steel in your base at a scyther and centipede production bench.

Quests: You get repeated quests indicating that you have found large uranium deposits. Many of the larger deposits will be at enemy bases.

No trading. All factions hostile.

jpinard

We need more events.  The game becomes way too repetitive with the same few events just repeating.

8roads

Genetic engineering (insectoid event chain)
cybernetic organism (mechanoid event chain)
weapon Modifications
automation (conveyor belts etc (i hate hauling!))
more reasons to venture far and wide
any reason to colonize hostile environments

Alenerel

My wish is to not have DLCs.

the_red_kraken

Big Pack of Events DLC:

A colony has setup in your area. A few colonists come by and start building defenses/hunting/farming. You can ignore them if you want to, but they will not leave and continuously hunt/mine/use the natural resources, so you will be forced to at least eventually go to war with them.

Demand tribute from outposts. You can be demanded tribute from as well.

Prison Break, from other places. A big group of prisoners/slaves has just escaped, and they are passing through your map. You can choose to accept them peacefully, in which case they ALL become colonists, or you can refuse, in which case they will attempt to invade you and takeover your post.

Death demands. A faction demands that you kill one of your colonists, and is willing to pay you for it. Some flavor reason, like they believe your colonist is reponsable for some murder in the past w/e. Refusal means you go to war.

Outposts can call your help like you call them for military aid.

War in your map. Two rival colonies armies are about to crash, and they are meeting in your map. You can choose to help one side, attack both, or neither. There could be collateral damage from their battle.

Refugee crisis. Same as the prisoners one tbh, just a massive ammount of wanderers join. They are not leaving, you can choose to accept a few of them. They will wander around desperate for food though.

Coup in another outpost. You receive a call from a nearby outpost. They want you to go there and murder one of their members (could be their abusive leader/whatever flavor). They will strike back but as soon as you manage to assassinate the target, they will stop and pay you a reward (or improved relations, or both)

Different kind of outposts. A huge slaver camp, wants to kidnap colonsits. A big commercial outpost, great for trade, but has a big level of threat of ambushes around. A very civilized one (with a great hospital you could possibly travel to). A massive military one, that demands tribute from everyone (maybe they also offer protection against raids), kinda like the Saviors from the walking dead.

Agressive factions. One faction in particular could be agressively expanding nearby you. You can ignore them, running the risk of they eventually getting to you much stronger, or help outposts defend themselves.

Vehicles are a must as well I think. Doesnt have to be to complex, just build like a Big Travel Truck, think mad max style, very cyberpunk, to make travelling easier. Although now that I think about it, it could render travel muffalos kinda useless. Maybe as a late game thing so you could easily transport troops for military purposes.

Shurp

Post-human species.

The backstory excludes aliens, but what about humans that have bioengineered themselves to live on exotic and hostile worlds?  Some of them might accidentally crashland on your world.  Perhaps leading to something like this:

What, you thought the psychic emanations driving your colonists crazy were coming from the mechanoids?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Crow_T

Most of these can be done by modders already, not sure what a DLC could add that the psycho-cannibal modding community couldn't ;) It'd have to be something inaccessible to modders, what that is exactly I'm not sure.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Crow_T on October 22, 2018, 05:37:31 PM
Most of these can be done by modders already, not sure what a DLC could add that the psycho-cannibal modding community couldn't ;) It'd have to be something inaccessible to modders, what that is exactly I'm not sure.
Technically speaking, with the tools available, there's nothing that mods can't do. That doesn't mean that there aren't things DLC could do more easily and smoothly.

Kirby23590

Yea technically speaking, they can't be that small since mods with the tools they have, can already do that... ;)

It has to be something like a big or something like an expansion pack like Water or Ocean Worlds that adds boats & building colonies in the water or Space exploration after you escape the rims now you can explore space with your spaceship & encounter other planets like Animal worlds or Medieval worlds and Other Rimworlds and encounter trade ships and trade with them or just attack them & take their stuff and avoid pirate spaceships etc, if they have the time for it...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

loc978

Seconded on vehicles, "trail blazers" sounds like something I'd gladly pay for. I actually really despise the caravan system, always have.

I've always thought that if I can build spaceships, orbital pod launchers, automatic AI gun turrets, power armor and charge rifles... I should be able to build a Mad Max style armored bus. Wouldn't even need rubber and oil, I could make wagon wheels out of steel or plasteel for it and run it on chemfuel (which in my mind is a catchall term that covers methanol, gasoline, diesel, propane, et cetera).

Even modding never got it to work right for me. Yes, Vehicles and Shuttlecraft both bugged out horribly every time I tried to get em working.

Oh, I also think part of this should include the creation of new roads, at least short ones to link your colony to the nearest ancient highway.