Guide to mastery of the game

Started by BLACK_FR, October 19, 2018, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbqftw

yeah look at this dirty exploiter

BLACK_FR

@5thHorseman
I edited open post yesterday to reflect new information, so it's not like you missed something when you read it first time.
Even I don't follow all advices that I gave. I give up manual feeding as soon as I can for example. Problem is that with little wealth management and reserve of food you can just play "hands out of keybord" style, doing some little things only when some important event is disrupting you.
Regarding starting without research. I meant "disable all starting research". But your mod gives big boost to all research (because it's not a tribal faction), and after consideration I'm not sure that changing tactic "make passive cooler and be inside" to tactic "wait as long as you can and then wait the rest in caravan" is fun challenge so I gave up on this starting restriction.

@cyberian
I thought that whole point of "be prepared" is to reduce risk. Of course if risk is your criteria of fun then you shouldn't be prepared for any events but you have to understand that for many people "don't be prepared" is bad recipe for fun.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

cyberian

@cyberian
I thought that whole point of "be prepared" is to reduce risk. Of course if risk is your criteria of fun then you shouldn't be prepared for any events but you have to understand that for many people "don't be prepared" is bad recipe for fun.
Yes you are right of course normally the idea is to build a smart base to counter all the challenges and be prepared in the best possible way. Best possible way meaning no harm to your colonists and your base.

Its just that there is no event that causes any threat after the beginning of the game when you have high enough mood bonus and stone walls and a couples of months of Pemmican or frozen meat in cold biome plus other resources.
So the only challenge remaining are Raids.

And with traps/turrets/minigunners plus assisting architecture you can remove the challenge from raids completely. At that point you are playing a peaceful Sims game. So you either enjoy that invul basebuilding aspect or you intentionally don't eliminate the challenge. Since the only roughly dynamic challenge are Raids and I also enjoy epic fights thats why I decide to not remove their Threat.
Ultimately theres no real challenge in SP games when you figured out all mechanics only MP against other humans could give you that. So you either like the more Mini-Zoo approach and pure basebuilding or you intentionally do stupid things to then have new things to figure out basically how you save the mess you just created.

BLACK_FR

@cyberian
What difficulty do you play? In my last full run (in B18) with all my preparations there were many raids that posed risks to my pawns. There are several reasons for that. First of all when you make benches you increase your wealth and raid sizes considerably. Secondly, there are many different types of raids that avoid prepared entrances: sieges, sappers, infestations, drop pods raids (first time when I encountered it I wasn't prepared and it killed my colony), poison and psychic ships etc. Also you need to go for the AI core via quest. So I don't think that with moderate or high wealth you can go without risk. If you make super-killbox that will bloat your wealth and you will have hard time dealing with drop pods etc.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

cyberian

I currently play Randy Extreme or serious or what its called so the highest of the normal diffs. That said I have a few mods that make stuff easier like the Medieval Times mod and Sidearm mod and a few minor others and I started with prepped Tough+Jogger Tribals in Boreal Forest. Biome choice was only because I dislike seeing Boomaloopes/Boomrats as they are ugly and they don't appear in that Biome.

I am not a Hardcore Rimworld player you are way more HC than me. I have not even finished the game once all my earlier plays (most of them on rough though) got boring and I abandoned them. Also occasionally stopped a game when a new version came out. That said I still have many hundreds of hours in it don't know exactly how much atm. I am a hardcore Dwarf Fortress and PDX player though so my current attempt at having fun at the game is coming from that mindset of gimping yourself in those SPs.
I want a reasonable size colony that remains vulnerable to attacks from all sides and where every large Raid usually leads to some melee somewhere where some pawns can be maimed or killed. That said when I see its getting too tough I do a bit better defense construction but I always want to stay at that edge if I see that noone gets injured in a raid I have to deconstruct some constructions to make it harder again. My main goal currently is to keep my starting 5 guys relatively unharmed so I am sacrificing the others for the flanks and their ranks get refilled with prisoners and other Randy Gifts.

I am not really playing in your league I am just stating what I do to keep the game interesting. I don't even know if I can manage it the way I currently play this colony might get horribly destroyed. That said loosing is fun (DF). Loosing the colony would be more fun for me than giving it up because its too boring.

5thHorseman

Quote from: BLACK_FR on October 24, 2018, 04:11:47 AM
your mod gives big boost to all research (because it's not a tribal faction)

I wasn't aware that tribal factions had worse research. I'll look into that.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.