Mods and user privacy

Started by Argilegator, October 19, 2018, 10:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argilegator

Are there any mods here that are connecting to any servers determined by the Mod creators? Any analytics that ping servers, even through HTTP? Does Rimworld have any kind of defense against rogue mod makers?

5thHorseman

I don't think it's practical for Rimworld to police this. What if the mod disables the check?

The only way I've ever seen this kind of thing working is a healthy modding community and open source standards. We have the first for sure and though I don't think the second is enforced most popular mods are open source.

And of course you have every right to not use mods that you question in any way.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

Although Ludeon could take down mods on the forum that are reported for bad behaviour, or Steam take down mods that are reported for bad behaviour, ultimately you need to either trust the modder, or do your own checking of the mod. Inspect network traffice for suspicious behaviour, etc. Really though, caveat emptor.