Split windmill and wood generator out from electricity (xml only)?

Started by jpinard, October 18, 2018, 05:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

I'd like to do a mod where I adjust how electricity is handled.  Windmill and wood generator are split off and have research costs associated with them.  I'd then change the research cost of batteries and other electricity items to scale based on the research values I set for windmill and the wood generator.

Though I'm fine with xml editing I do not know how to the what's mentioned.  I've not created a mod from scratch yet in Rimworld.  Just edited other people's mod to fit the values I like.

Thanks if anyone feels like helping.

AileTheAlien

I don't think it would be possible to have the research costs computed from other things, unless you did some C# in your mod. However, if you've only got a dozen or so research topics, it's not too much work to just adjust them all manually. The thing that's very slow with making new research in a mod, is placing them visually, on the research tree/graph. That step, unless I'm mistaken, is all manual, and it's definitely tedious. :)

As far as making some generators seperate researches (or even separate menus, I think) would be do-able with some XML patches.

jpinard

I saw one mod that has mending in it, and their research position by default overlaps other slots.  But the nice thing about some of the research niceity mods is they will automatically map them out nice and neat. Fluffy has one I think.  But yes, I'd have to make a concerted effort so those who don't want to use an extra mod wouldn't have to do that.