Official: Swedish

Started by Tynan, July 09, 2014, 09:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreSxNine

Yeah, Nutrient Paste Dispenser was really hard to translate. I don't even remember what I translated it to somewhere in the Keyed folder. I think you pretty much nailed the adjectives for the foods though.

Zacka

Yeah, naringsmassautdelare sure is a mouthful. Im glad you liked the adjectives! :P

Edit: I just translated the ship research and it really makes for long compound words, if anyone can think of a more elegant way to translate it then you are welcome to change it. I was also thinking, maybe a better translation for "dispenser" is "automat" rather than "utdelare", what do you think?

TreSxNine

Ship research: I think the names are supposed to be like that. After all, it is research for a spaceship.

Dispenser: Maybe "automat" is better in some contexts, but here it is literally "utdelare". Meaning, "something that gives people stuff".

That's just my opinions, this is a page for discussion, though.

Zacka

While I agree that "utdelare" might be the most literal way of translating it, because it is practically never used as a word in Swedish I think it makes the entire term sound inauthentic. Normally I would use google searches to figure out the most common used Swedish word for "nutrient paste dispenser", but since it's not an actual thing I instead look to the closest existing examples we have: Kaffeautomat or kaffemaskin, bakmaskin, uttagsautomat or even just automat. Imagine if somebody actually invented a nutrient paste dispenser IRL, it would probably get a name that ended with "maskin" or "automat".

I think the reasoning for this is because in the English language dispenser is a very versatile term that, in this context, is used the same way as we use the versatile terms "maskin" and "automat", while dispenser more specifically defines what the machine does (it dispenses), I think when translating to "utdelare" we sacrifice authenticity for the sake of clarity. I think any Swedish person would react to "utdelare" as a weird word, while "maskin" or "automat" they can relate better to and still realize what the buildings purpose is from just the name.

TreSxNine

Wow, yeah, you are absolutely right. That's a great way of reasoning. I should start thinking like that more often. :)

Zacka

Sorry if I went a bit overboard, but that's basically my entire thought-process and reasoning outlined in text. I'm glad we agree! :P

Evul

Muffalo = Okenko (O as in Ö Ö) :D
Keep it up! :D

Zacka

TresX translated Muffalo as "Muffel", "okenko" works as well IMO, we just need to pick one :p

TreSxNine

Yea I thought of buffalo when I heard muffalo so it became muffel. But now that I look it up, it seems like a muffel is some kind of goat. Whoops. I'll change it.

Edit: By the way, does anyone have a good name for "hauler"? I'm not all that satisfied with "dragare". Maybe "slapare"?

Zacka

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a muffalo is an imaginary animal, just like a boomrat. :P

For hauler, I would say barare is almost a perfect fit IMO.

TreSxNine

Might be, but to follow the logic that I followed made it translate into muffel, which is some kind of goat. Therefore I think that that translation is faulty.

Evul

Quote from: TreSxNine on July 11, 2014, 09:13:11 AMEdit: By the way, does anyone have a good name for "hauler"? I'm not all that satisfied with "dragare". Maybe "slapare"?

Sammlare, hamtare, plockare?

Zacka

Hmm, I just translated brawler to slagskampe (which is actually fighter) and socialite to minglare, anyone got better alternatives? Because brakmakare, gralmakare and societetslejon as the internet suggests are just awful.

TreSxNine

Haha, "socitetslejon" sounds so bad. Honestly I don't really know. Swedish translations does kind of suck in general just because you aren't used to hearing some of the words in swedish. Maybe socitetslejon is the actual way to say it.

Brawler is kind of hard. A brawler is someone who is used to doing a lot of fighting, right? Maybe slagskampe is right then, and fighter will have the same translation. After all, they are very similar.

Zacka

I will take minglare over societetslejon anyday, but I imagine there might be a more common word that conveys the meaning adequately, I dont know what it is though. At second thought a brawl would translate to slagsm�l, so slagskampe might be a better fit than I thought.

Edit: Put this in my latest commit description but thought I might put it on the forum as well: "For the storytellers, I didn't translate any names because my personal opinion is that translating names is ridiculous and wrong." What do you guys think about translating names? You are welcome to translate them if you want! :P