Official: Swedish

Started by Tynan, July 09, 2014, 09:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorymasterQ

I didn't want to butt into a forum for a language I'm not proficient in the slightest, but I'd like to offer some thoughts.

I'd think that Muffalo and Boomrat as local fauna, and people who saw them gave them names based on appearances. Muffalo sounds like buffalo because the animal evokes the look of a buffalo, but probably more hairy, i.e. muffled. Also, weren't boomrats actually came from a long forgotten war, where rats were genetically engineered to make chemicals inside it that makes them explode when they die.

So, translations for these animals ought to evoke the same things that their English words do. Would muffel evoke the image of a hairy buffalo? What would you, as a Swede, name a rat that blows up when they die?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

You guys interested in becoming official testers? You can play with A6 (when the internal test versions are up) and translate it before it goes public!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Zacka

I'm interested! At the rate we are translating, we should have a functional translation of all the current public content done long before the next public release :P

on Storymasters note: "Buffalo" in Swedish is "buffel", so TresX's first try which was "Muffel" does fit quite well IMO. Atm we are using "(ouml;)kenko" which is literally "desert cow", doesn't really evoke a long-haired creature for me but it does make the name more approachable. Regarding boomrats, I would say boom is the most applicable term for an explosion sound in Swedish as well, so our current translation "boomr(aa)tta", literally boomrat, imo works quite well to evoke the same image.

TreSxNine

Yep, pretty much what Zacka said. Tynan, I'm also interested in becoming an official tester :)

zackiz

I want to apologise that I kind of dissapaered. My life just took a turn for the worse. I cant continue atm and it's not fair towards you to drag this out. I don't want to quit doing this but as it is right now, I have to step down. I might join you guys in the future again if there is room for it.

Tynan

Quote from: zackiz on July 16, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
I want to apologise that I kind of dissapaered. My life just took a turn for the worse. I cant continue atm and it's not fair towards you to drag this out. I don't want to quit doing this but as it is right now, I have to step down. I might join you guys in the future again if there is room for it.

Really sorry to hear that. Good luck with whatever you're dealing with.

Zacka

Don't worry zackiz, it's just a fan-translation after all, it was nice of you to notify us so we know not to wait :D
Whatever you are going through I am sure you will come out the other end alright.

Zacka

I just wanted to clarify why I haven't touched the translation in awhile: When I started helping out I had a lot of free time on my hands and was a bit bored, now I am knee-deep in a summer math course, have 20 hours of freelance work that needs to be finished, am moving across the country August 7th, and I am starting university on the 20th. TresX also seems to be occupied with other duties so progress on the translation has slowed to a halt for the time being.

Tynan

The Swedish translation throws a ton of errors (a lot of basic XML formatting problems) on loading. You guys should actually test it in game and please fix those up, thanks.

Zacka

Sorry about that, for some reason all the DefInjected subfolders had an "s" at the end. After that it was only a few typos that needed correcting. As far as I can see the only errors remaining, are triggered by the parts of DefInjected that haven't been translated yet.

Tynan

Yes, please don't leave untranslated data in the files.

Zacka

I put all the untranslated files in a separate folder called "untranslated", since anyone who wants to translate still needs the English source. I now get 0 errors when I launch Rimworld519 with the swedish translation imported. Is this satisfactory or..?

Tynan

0 errors is great. I just have to try to remember to go and delete the untranslated stuff manually each time I update the language files.

Zacka

The interesting part is that even with the "untranslated" folder in there I dont get any errors, so I dont think that should be necessary.

Tynan

It may not make errors, but I still don't want to ship hundreds of junk files to 35,000 users.