Deep Drill and how to get stone

Started by vandal, October 20, 2018, 07:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandal

I want granite to build my outer wall perimeter but there is none on my map. Since trading is unreliable and using a caravan for it is impractical can I use a deep drill to get granite stone chunks if my biome doesnt have it listed under terrain details?

B@R5uk

Good question, whether deep drill can excavate only the types of rocks that specific to the map or not? Still not reached the stage of the game where deep drills are badly needed in my several last games with unstable build. So I'm joining in.

Also, wouldn't it be wise to start on the map with at least marble and granite? Marble is good for beauty and granite for protection. Also fallout-type mountain bases bases are easy to "build" in marble rock as it's HP is the least possible: 450. And smoothed marble walls gives +2 to beauty unlike anything else.

Scavenger

You could set up temporary camp nearby and mine some. The set up camp mod in particular is
Great for it!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

5thHorseman

I've never seen rock types not listed on the map when deep drilling, and there's no way to scan for them though I'd love to be able to.

Your only real option is to get it from nearby tiles which is far from ideal. I suggest instead next time making sure you land on (or move to) a tile with granite or marble. I always do.

One other option which isn't great, get a caravan that's really loud (super high visibility or whatever that stat in the upper right of the caravan screen is) with lots of pack animals and sit them on a nearby tile with granite, or walk them around the base through such tiles. They'll eventually get attacked by SOMETHING. When they do and win, take all the granite home on the pack animals. I don't consider this remotely good but it's an idea.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

vandal

Ah i see. disappointing but i guess i have to continue to rely on camps and heavy pack animals. thx guys

zizard

Since they only cost like a buck each now, the main problem is weight, so wait for an orbital bricks trader and buy a thousand.

B@R5uk

Well, one granite or marble chunk has the same weight as 20 blocks that can be produced from it. But it's 25 kg! One body size can carry only so little as 1.4 chunks. Orbital trading is better, but not quite enough. There is also a way to build stools from block on every sortie and carry them home to deconstruct. Every stool has a weight of 3.00 kg, require 25 block and A LOT OF work to build, but when deconstructed they leave 18-19 blocks (that is 25% of waste) with total weight of 22.5-23.75 kg. This is 7.81 times weight-efficient for transport than the raw materials at the cost of being loss-transportation.

Scavenger

I like the idea of the orbital trader just ferrying around several tones of rocks to sell for next to nothing.. Lol. Rocks that are abundant all over the planet. Almost like it's not a good use of their storage bay.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde