How to get rid of a wild man/woman?

Started by Dargaron, October 20, 2018, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dargaron

Hello folks.

No, a butchering table doesn't count.

I'm on a cold desert biome (20/60, flat, Limestone/Granite). This means that the amount of loose food on the map is very small: basically it's just my crops and a few iguanas most of the time. When a wild man/woman wanders onto the map, they'll either 1): Harvest/eat my crops 2): try to hunt a colonist or 3): pick a fight with very fierce iguanas.

I want to be somewhat humane, but the Wild men/women are a nuisance, so I'd like to get them off the map (after giving them some clothing so that they don't freeze to death and/or berserk at me). However, I can't seem to manage this. I've tried imprisoning/releasing and imprisoning/banishing, neither of which gets them off the map. Any tips for things to try? In theory, I could try holding them until a slaver shows up, but that's not exactly the vibe I'm going for (plus, my colonists would get a mood penalty, and I'd have to actually feed the wild man/woman).

B@R5uk

Imprison and sell? Imprison and gift them to a faction via cargo pod? And there is a option of joining if stats and traits are acceptable, isn't it?

Dargaron

Yeah, I thought about selling/gifting the Wild men/women, but enslaving them is only a marginal improvement over killing them. Plus, I have to wait for particular kinds of traders and feed them for the interim. I guess if that's the only way to get rid of them...

I don't particularly want to recruit these people: that doesn't really solve the problem of them eating my food. I'm sympathetic enough to help these folks (clothing, some food), but not to house them, if that makes sense.

B@R5uk

To save the crop you can fence it in with granite walls. This helps a lot against animals as well. But I didn't happen upon wild people at all so I don't know all the fine points.

Nameless

Can you put them in a launchpod and send them off somewhere?

Dargaron

Hmm, I'll try that later. Gotta research transport pods first.

Getting kind of cheesed off: a wild man showed up after I left my non-violent dude in charge of the base with a pile of traps, and now he's trapped indoors by the scary 71-year-old with a bad back.

Scavenger

If you give him the vampire disease, he may fly off.

Maybe put him between raiders and you? See if they attack?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

AileTheAlien

Open up dev / cheat mode, and use the 'destroy' tool / button. Your colonists won't get any debuffs, and you won't get any materials because you didn't butcher them. Just pretend they wandered off on their own.

Golden

You can just disable this event before you start a game in the scenario selection.

Canute

Why you just kill him, and forbid the corpse, after a year it is gone.

Shurp

What happens when you capture and release?  I thought the usual mechanic for released pawns was that they leave the map.  Does the wild man continue to wander around in restraints?

Recruit/banish doesn't work either?  Seems odd...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dargaron

I tried releasing the wild person in question. They just kept walking around the map. Same with banishing (although admittedly, I didn't try recruiting her first. That might work, since she wouldn't be a Wild Person anymore...)

I've decided to just caravan/abandon them in an adjacent hex. Thanks for the many (often quite inventive) solutions.

Canute

Banish a colonist would give a small mood hit.
But a healthy colony wouldn't even notice it, compared to butchering a whole raid.

zizard

Put them in a rocket and launch them into the wilderness.

Kirby23590

Well if i get an unwanted wild man/woman, i would basically just either shoot them like an hunter or threat them as an raider, or just capture them & imprison them and launch him or her in a transport pod into a random empty tile or gift them to a faction instead in the world map.

Or recruit him or her and then banish him or her...

That's all the humane things we got...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.